Sponsored

Stupid things non-Wrangler owners say

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
I’m a bit annoyed this morning with some of the stupid things that come out of the mouths of non-Wrangler owners.

It usually starts with, “oh I love your Jeep and have always wanted one.” Then it goes downhill with the stupidity...

So a co-worker of mine said, “I heard they are prone to tipping over during normal driving conditions.” I had to ask her what damn decade she is living in considering that hasn’t been an issue since the days of the YJ...just ignorant, but she wants one.

Then she doubled down and said they aren’t fast, to which I responded, “it’s not a fucking Hellcat.” I’m sure she won’t be concerned about speed when she gets stuck somewhere in that rear-wheel drive BMW 328i she currently drives and needs the assistance of one of us in our “slow” Wranglers.
Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I’m a bit annoyed this morning with some of the stupid things that come out of the mouths of non-Wrangler owners.

It usually starts with, “oh I love your Jeep and have always wanted one.” Then it goes downhill with the stupidity...

So a co-worker of mine said, “I heard they are prone to tipping over during normal driving conditions.” I had to ask her what damn decade she is living in considering that hasn’t been an issue since the days of the YJ...just ignorant, but she wants one.

Then she doubled down and said they aren’t fast, to which I responded, “it’s not a fucking Hellcat.” I’m sure she won’t be concerned about speed when she gets stuck somewhere in that rear-wheel drive BMW 328i she currently drives and needs the assistance of one of us in our “slow” Wranglers.
I hear you @COJLGirl .

That said I'm of the belief that we need to temper our reactions: which is the only thing we can control.

I say this because it's ignorance, not stupidity that has people think these things...although you're correct, it's stupidity that has them make assertions based on things they think they know.

Such questions of ignorance by people are best phrased in ways like, "are they likely to tip over or easily achieve excessive speeds?" That's how I try to ask questions based on ignorance. But I'm not perfect and my words may unintentionally piss people off, just as may anyone's: so there's that.

And while speed is always (baring vehicle failure) at the hands of the motorist, it's also true that some smooth operating sedans (which the Wrangler is not known for--I'll give you that--if not also smoother a ride than its predecessors) aren't as likely to give off some of the physical cues of excessive speed like bumpiness or some loss of operator control.

As a relatively long time member of the board, clearly, questions come up repeatedly. They too could be a source of frustration but it's my choice to not answer, or answer politely, as I think that we Wrangler owners are in our best light when we're honest educators and spokespeople for the rig.

Its strong sales increase the likelihood of brand survival and aftermarket strength, and the education increases the chance that people for whom the Wrangler isn't the right vehcile (and there's nothing wrong with that) don't get one, while also increasing the chances that those who do get one are happy with it.

Wrangler is such an ever present brand that lay people think they know (or should know something about it), so sometimes they grab at stereotypes or straws to make conversation.

Next time maybe reply that there are many other vehicles out there with higher centers of gravity as a result of narrower wheelbases and/or higher and heavier roofs. Explain that its box light structure makes it the last thing out there built for speed.

Or, if the questioner is nasty and a Star Trek fan, reply, "what do you think, boxes, apart from the freakin' fictional Borg cube, move at warp speed?!" ;)

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Came in yesterday with a loaner, and had a parishioner tell me that "Jeeps are fun but they are really terrible in quality, they tip over, gas mileage is terrible...and on and on." Then he said continued by saying his son-in-law had 3 of them but finally had to "give up on them."

Sigh. Every time I get in my Jeep I smile. That makes it worth it.

Scott D Hall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sting-Gray Rubicon 2.0L Turbo, 2.5" Mopar Lift w/Fox Shocks, Rock-Slider PowerSteps, BigBoy Seat Rails / 2013 Jeep Rubicon 10th Anniversary (Son's car) / 2019 Porsche Cayenne (Wife's Rocket) / 2019 Skeeter SX250
I just attribute it to Jeep envy. They have to justify in their minds why they can’t get one....
Absolutely! This was going to be my reply. They have to reason in their own mind why they can't obtain one... Also, that usually ends up talking about how they are overpriced... Blah, Blah, Blah....

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
It's probably unavoidable, considering how long Jeeps have been around. There's some version out there that represents the faults people have heard.

This is my first Wrangler, and I was expecting a cold, loud, rough ride with a sluggish engine, bad gas milage, a high center of gravity, a frustrating soft top and a clutch pedal that needed two hundred pounds of force.

I got a m/t that shifts like a Honda, an engine and road noise that was unexpectedly quiet, with plenty of grunt (in the right gear), and I'm averaging 24mpg. It has the hottest and quickest to warm up heater I've ever used, a smooth ride with cornering as good as any SUV I've had, and a soft top that's simple to operate. Basically, none of the issues that I was prepared for.

That's not to say this generation is without fault... But none of the more common misconceptions, from what I can tell. I could see the rampant steering problems from this generation making its way into the snowball of Jeep lore. Nothing's perfect I suppose.

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Absolutely! This was going to be my reply. They have to reason in their own mind why they can't obtain one... Also, that usually ends up talking about how they are overpriced... Blah, Blah, Blah....
Oh man, but they are overpriced! Especially used. It didn't stop me, but it did slow me down. $30k for a rig with steel wheels and manual locks/windows with no a/c... But it's the only thing like it out there, it costs what it costs.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
huh.... the worst thing I've ever heard from non-owners is along the lines of "oh man I'd love one of those but they don't have enough room." I don't hear that much anymore since the minivan version came out. But now I hear things from JK/JL-minivan owners like "it's loud, it wanders, I can't lower the windshield because then it'll leak" and all kinds of other complete BS.
Most of the negative things I hear are from Wrangler owners making snide comments about other Wrangler owners.

OP
OP
COJLGirl

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
Came in yesterday with a loaner, and had a parishioner tell me that "Jeeps are fun but they are really terrible in quality, they tip over, gas mileage is terrible...and on and on." Then he said continued by saying his son-in-law had 3 of them but finally had to "give up on them."

Sigh. Every time I get in my Jeep I smile. That makes it worth it.
Anytime someone says anything derogatory about a Wrangler, I just ask them how easy it is to remove the top and doors on their vehicle. ;)
That’s the best response ever.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Yeah can we just ban those people! Along with the ones who say they have a JL when they actually have a JLU.
Maybe one day we can get a beer together and you can tell me what it's like to own a real Jeep. :beer: