Sponsored

Any word on upcoming 2020 Special Edition Details?

ExRIGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grand Cherokee SRT, 2015 Charger R/T
Read somewhere that some special editions are coming.
Sponsored

M0ondogy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The Moab finished it's run for the 2020 model year.

The Black and Tan is out now. Not much of a special edition. More a pre selected package and styling.

The Altitude (Sport and Sahara) is out now, too. More a pre selected package and styling.

The Willy's is out now. Not much of a special edition. More a pre selected package and styling.

The Freedom Edition is coming in the later half of the 2020 model year. Not much is known, other than it being based on the Sport.

See the trend? These special editions are more of styling packages than anything else. They can be nice, if you were going to get those options anyway. They sometimes come at a discounted package price.

Really, there are 3 trims (Sport, Sahara, and Rubicon) which are distinct and have things the other cannot get. Every special edition is one of those 3 with other bits and badges added on. Most of the time, you can add those yourself with a little tool work and know-how.

Real special editions don't come till the end of the JL run. Think mid to late 2020s. Even then, they will still mostly be styling packages.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
I think folks would mostly like to see some of the now-Rubicon-specific features available in a Sport or Sport S-based special edition. i.e. rear locker, 4.10 gears, suspension, etc. Other editions have cribbed the Rubicon wheels, hood, rock rails, etc., but I think what folks really want are some Rubicon drivetrain components in a cheaper package.

Personally, I'd love to see a special edition with the 3.73 gears (specifically paired with the 6MT). I think the 3:45 is too tall when paired with the 3.6L engine, but I don't need lockers and sway bar disconnects and whatnot, so I don't want to get a Rubicon just for shorter gearing.

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi 392 Wrangler
Occupation
Retirement From Oil Refinery
A guy in our Jeep group just ordered a Rubicon white Diesel yesterday!!!

chipbutty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
non yet
The Willys is a bit more than a styling package. Rubi side steps, LED headlights, special wheels and tires, Rubi springs, LSD.

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
The Willys is a bit more than a styling package. Rubi side steps, LED headlights, special wheels and tires, Rubi springs, LSD.
I believe the Willys has the normal Sport suspension, at least based on the order guide. Only the Sport Altitude is listed with "HEAVY DUTY SUSPENSION W/GAS SHOCKS (SDU)", which I believe is the Sahara suspension (Rubi suspension is called 'Performance Suspension').

The Willys and Sport Altitude both have the HD brakes from the Sahara/Rubi, so maybe you're thinking of that.

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
I believe the Willys has the normal Sport suspension, at least based on the order guide. Only the Sport Altitude is listed with "HEAVY DUTY SUSPENSION W/GAS SHOCKS (SDU)", which I believe is the Sahara suspension (Rubi suspension is called 'Performance Suspension').

The Willys and Sport Altitude both have the HD brakes from the Sahara/Rubi, so maybe you're thinking of that.
I also am not seeing it anywhere on the order sheet but Jeep has said multiple times that the Willys has Rubicon shocks, not the full Rubi suspension. I believe these are the springs chip is referring to.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Rubi suspension is worth about $100-$150 these-days, and they're almost always the first components people swap out off the lot. So they are worth literally nothing. Rubi rock rails can be found for about $50-100 here. So also worth nothing. Sport S can get LSD anyways, so that isn't anything special.

So basically, Willy is just a Sport S with LED headlights, which to be honest, isn't anything special either, I swapped out my headlights with aftermarket for 1/3 the price. There really isn't anything on the Willy's that you couldn't get with some pocket change and a Sunday afternoon.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The Willys should have included an optional rear locker like it did on the JK.

chipbutty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
non yet

The TFL vid with the Jeep rep said the Willys had Rubi springs I believe

chipbutty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
non yet
Rubi suspension is worth about $100-$150 these-days, and they're almost always the first components people swap out off the lot. So they are worth literally nothing. Rubi rock rails can be found for about $50-100 here. So also worth nothing. Sport S can get LSD anyways, so that isn't anything special.

So basically, Willy is just a Sport S with LED headlights, which to be honest, isn't anything special either, I swapped out my headlights with aftermarket for 1/3 the price. There really isn't anything on the Willy's that you couldn't get with some pocket change and a Sunday afternoon.
Welp! I guess the Willys is a giant turd then :D

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Welp! I guess the Willys is a giant turd then :D
Sure, if you say so. In essence, Willy’s is just a Sport S plus about $500 worth of aftermarket parts and a Sunday afternoon with a bottle of beer.

There is essentially no difference in drivetrain on any of these trims except a Rubicon.

Last edited:

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Dealers wont discount the Willys because people drool over them. At least with a sport you can get a deal and then add the extras. But thats for those in the know and whom can do basic wrenching themselves. Others will be happy to pay a premium.
Sponsored