Sponsored

3.0D Jeep Diesel now available for ordering! Priced at $6k.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Any dates on the Gladiator w/ diesel?
I've been hearing April 2020 as the scheduled build start date.
Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Pricing is really pretty good ($3500 over Pentastar auto), since it includes the D44 f/r upgrade on the sport and Sahara. Wonder if any other packages are required.
Yeah they could do anything they want, but if it doesn't make financial sense to do so why would they? This is a company and they like to make money, if there was money to be made they would do so. This is a company that sticks 700HP motors in everything they got, they're not afraid to make niche vehicles. A manual diesel in their eyes is too niche. That said, if the uptick in diesels are larger than expected there is nothing stopping them from adding it down the road.
I think the question you have to ask is “how many jeeps will they NOT sell because they don’t offer a Diesel/MT?” Not many at all. Hell, I would take the little multijet (euro market) with a manual, but they don’t make that either.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
:sun::sun: Just ordered a Black Sahara 3.0 Diesel with the Sky One Touch :sun::sun: So excited!!!
Did you happen to notice if the option cost was the same? The axles get upgraded on non-rubicon models.

Nihkole

First Name
Nichole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL 3.0 Diesel, 2000 Chevrolet Camaro
Was the diesel upgrade the same cost as shown above on the rubicon? I would think they would charge more in the Sport and Sahara since it also adds an axle upgrade, where as the rubicon already has the upgraded axles.
It was the same price. 4k for the engine and 2k for the transmission

Sponsored

Nihkole

First Name
Nichole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL 3.0 Diesel, 2000 Chevrolet Camaro
Is the Selec-Trac Full-Time 4WD system still an option with the diesel? My concern was that the with the Dana 44 axles it wouldn't be an option.
I didn't order that option so I'm not sure. I had to put my order together from the Jeep.com site and then send the PDF to my dealer and then they put it together with the 3.0 engine.

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Why do they give you 4 gallons of additional gas for a diesel engined Wrangler? LOL
I'll bet it's for marketing.
A blanket statement like:

500 miles between fill ups!
when properly equipped

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Is your buddy somehow a member of the press driving a pre-release gen3 3.0 1500 and not reporting reliability problems or are you confusing the 80% different gen2 3.0 with the heretofore unavailable gen3?
Since yours was the smart-assiest response :CWL:, I feel like I should answer you...obv his must be the gen 2.

I hope this one is better than the last one. I wouldn't take a $6,000 bet that it will be.

Sponsored

mtnmerlin

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 2020 JLU Rubicon diesel

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Since yours was the smart-assiest response :CWL:, I feel like I should answer you...obv his must be the gen 2.

I hope this one is better than the last one. I wouldn't take a $6,000 bet that it will be.
Not to worry, I’ll be taking out an extended warranty to hedge against any new-drivetrain gremlins. When you wait 11 years for a diesel wrangler which runs up a tab in the $80k range by the time you’re done modifying it, an extended warranty is a small price to pay to end such a ridiculous wait.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
....interesting.

I'll need to test drive one once avail.
Correction...much more torque at low RPM. And more importantly, better range for overland trips...as a function of best mpg at baseline, far less mpg reduction when rolling resistance and weight go up with mods, and 3.73 gearing which still allows for more wheel torque than the 2.0 or 3.6 with 4.10s. The concept has been the holy grail of wheeling drivetrains and we’re finally going to find out if FCA’s gen3 3.0 can deliver on said expectations.

mtnmerlin

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
I'll bet it's for marketing.
A blanket statement like:

500 miles between fill ups!
when properly equipped
Why do they give you 4 gallons of additional gas for a diesel engined Wrangler? LOL
Well, maybe it comes in a gas can (hah). I sure hope they don't put gasoline in the diesel fuel tank.
Sponsored