Sponsored

Extra/Spare Key

tm2924

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS
Has anyone come up with a source (besides the dealer) for spare key & FOB?
Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
I think your Wrangler should have came with 2. Did it? You need a third?

For another vehicle a few years ago I purchase a replacement key fob online and was able to use it.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
If I'm not mistaken (quite possible) you can only have 2 active fobs anyway, and if you're replacing one then a dealer has to program it for it to work.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
I know that for the new fob I purchased for another vehicle (not FCA product) I purchased it online because the cost was a huge difference!!!! Like $25 compared to $130. I still had to have the dealership program it but that was very low cost.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
If I'm not mistaken (quite possible) you can only have 2 active fobs anyway, and if you're replacing one then a dealer has to program it for it to work.
Your are no limited to two. I got a third one from the dealer so I could have a spare with me and a spare at home for a recent cross country trip. I also tested removing the circuit board and battery from the fob for my sport (manual locks and windows) to use as a spare. I could use the shell with the RFID chip to start by pushing the start button with the tip of the fob and if needed, install the battery in the circuit board to use it to start the jeep.

Sponsored

OP
OP

tm2924

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS
So my Jeep is supposed to arrive this week, I was reading the owners manual could not find any instructions on how to program extra FOB. On past vehicles, I have been able to buy the keys and FOB online at a price savings. I called a local locksmith that handles auto keys. They said they were unable to program keys for the JL at this point, they hoped in the future the software would be released. I would like to get a couple extra sets, because we have 4 drivers, and not pay an arm & leg at the dealer. Just wondering if anyone had found a solution to this problem.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
As far as I know, the dealer is the only source for the fob and programming. I have an FCA credit card and paid for mine ($200) with reward points. Get the card and pay for things like this with reward points.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
No.

But techniques to leverage this limitation have been discussed. One solution involves keeping the backup fob on the Wrangler, hidden, inside a Faraday bag, and having a backup physical key cut (which doesn't have to be by a dealer). Likely the key is also hidden.

Lose your original fob and get in with the physical key. Worse case scenario, the auto alarm screams until you locate the backup fob and disarm the vehicle.

Bills2ndJeep

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I bought an extra fob from the dealer, had it programmed there, then removed the blade. A good friend made this key for my wallet so that even if I am away from home and lose my keys, I can get into the Wrangler. The fob itself is in a Faraday bag, hidden inside the cabin. P.S. I HATE the push button start and the huge fob.
Jeep Wrangler JL Extra/Spare Key wallet key

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I bought an extra fob from the dealer, had it programmed there, then removed the blade. A good friend made this key for my wallet so that even if I am away from home and lose my keys, I can get into the Wrangler. The fob itself is in a Faraday bag, hidden inside the cabin. P.S. I HATE the push button start and the huge fob.
Wow, cool what your friend made for you.

I went with this key holder..
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/💦-available-now-waterproof-sport-key.91154/
Jeep Wrangler JL Extra/Spare Key 777

@Threedom also has these holders that do not have the RFID chip holding area.
Jeep Wrangler JL Extra/Spare Key Capture.JPG

I also have this small small Model M custom key fob by Threedom.. YOU have an extra RFID chip so you could go with one of these in a design choice/color of your choice..

Jeep Wrangler JL Extra/Spare Key 20220907_123906
Sponsored

Last edited: