Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE:

"

Got the payout for the vehicle. It came out to be higher then what I actually paid for the vehicle.

Heres a photo of the new one.

white jeep_LI.jpg

"

Hey guys,

So i rent my Jeep on car sharing apps like Turo and getaround. Recently a guy rented it on getaround and fled to mexico.

Already filed a police report and claim with Getaround but cant help but wonder if I can remotely shut it down. I have the 8.4" Uconnect system with SiriusXM Guardian. Is there any way to have the authorities use the tracking system to remotely shut it off and retrieve the vehicle? According to the tracker, Its currently about 20 miles from west of Phoenix.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Updated with photo, last location and license plate:

stolenJL.jpg

cbc297a5-7fce-4f55-ac7c-6b755e5159bd-jpeg.jpg

8a719add-6b1b-4e3d-a98d-44f362acdd2d-png.png

232d2c6b-7b5b-432f-8dbb-92a17edd67d5-png.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
I'm so sorry to hear that bro, feel terrible for you

Wish I could help, but right now, I'm just here to see what the others say, sorry

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Was your case assigned to a detective (this should be your point of contact)? If you are not sure, go by the PD or call and ask the PD. If they are not helpful ask to speak with a Lieutenant. Tell them your idea about shutting it down.

The detective assigned to your case will be the one to help you the most. Remember, sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease. (Easy cases get resolved first!)

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Hey guys,

So i rent my Jeep on car sharing apps like Turo and getaround. Recently a guy rented it on getaround and fled to mexico.

Already filed a police report and claim with Getaround but cant help but wonder if I can remotely shut it down. I have the 8.4" Uconnect system with SiriusXM Guardian. Is there any way to have the authorities use the tracking system to remotely shut it off and retrieve the vehicle? According to the tracker, Its currently about 20 miles from west of Phoenix.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
That's terrible sorry to hear that. If you had an anti-theft device I believe they'll give you some money, that + insurance you should be able to buy a new one and maybe make some extra money?

OP
OP
SoCalWrangler

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's terrible sorry to hear that. If you had an anti-theft device I believe they'll give you some money, that + insurance you should be able to buy a new one and maybe make some extra money?

Thats the plan. Waiting on a police case number. Once i receive that, then Uconnect will be able to help.

Sucks because this is by far the best Jeep ive ever owned

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear this man. Hopefully the site you rent it through has some strong verbiage in the “contracts” to help you with your insurance company. I’m sure they do. That being said, I would imagine if it’s headed for the boarder that would be an easy stop by CBP.. But your investigator would need to be communicating with CBP out bound at the boarder to make it work.

They’ll likely ditch it and steal another vehicle as they get closer. That would make the most sense as it’s clearly been reported already.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Sorry, off topic, but it always scares the crap out of me that big brother could simply shut down my transportation anytime they feel like it.

Seriously, a new Jeep sounds like a great post-apocalyptic, Mad Max bug out vehicle, but the conspiracy theorist in me knows EVERYTHING, including modern vehicles, could be shut down by the powers that be. Would far better off in an old VW bug with points under the distributer cap and no remote features...

Last edited:

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Sorry, off topic, but it always scares the crap out of me that big brother could simply shut down my transportation anytime they feel like it.

Seriously, a Jeep sounds like a great post-apocalyptic, Mad Max bug out vehicle, but the conspiracy theorist in my knows everything will be shut down by the powers that be. Would far better off in an old VW bug with points under the distributer cap...
*In an Alex Jones voice* Hey kid, wanna fight some globalists?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Sorry to hear this man. Hopefully the site you rent it through has some strong verbiage in the “contracts” to help you with your insurance company. I’m sure they do. That being said, I would imagine if it’s headed for the boarder that would be an easy stop by CBP.. But your investigator would need to be communicating with CBP out bound at the boarder to make it work.

They’ll likely ditch it and steal another vehicle as they get closer. That would make the most sense as it’s clearly been reported already.
I was under the impression it is already in Mexico?

Sponsored

OP
OP
SoCalWrangler

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Does your insurance know you were renting it out and just as importantly, is that use covered in the policy?
My personal insurance company is out of the loop on this one as this was from the rental company service. The Getaround company will provide a payout for such but id like to see if i can recover the vehicle if possible. Jeeps are weird, you get attached to them....

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

We’ve been shutting cars down remotely for almost a decade. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-the-repo-man-can-remotely-shut-off-your-car-engine/

It started with high risk car loans, and the high end cars, then material handling. Wired GPS trackers than can be shut down remotely are pretty interesting - we had a NOC where we would vector police into the vicinity of the car and would shut them down- you really don’t want to randomly shut down vehicles without knowing where there are.

I highly recommend any GPS tracking system that is installed with an ignition cut off.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
My personal insurance company is out of the loop on this one as this was from the rental company service. The Getaround company will provide a payout for such but id like to see if i can recover the vehicle if possible. Jeeps are weird, you get attached to them....
Are you still able to track his location with your Uconnect app?

I would remotely activate the horns/alarms all night long through the app just to fuck with his head.

E2361ADB-78B0-463B-91D4-0176E94FF1D3.jpeg

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
We’ve been shutting cars down remotely for almost a decade. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-the-repo-man-can-remotely-shut-off-your-car-engine/

It started with high risk car loans, and the high end cars, then material handling. Wired GPS trackers than can be shut down remotely are pretty interesting - we had a NOC where we would vector police into the vicinity of the car and would shut them down- you really don’t want to randomly shut down vehicles without knowing where there are.

I highly recommend any GPS tracking system that is installed with an ignition cut off.
Yes I recall one of the issues was related to power steering and brakes. Possible accident and liability should a vehicle be shut down while in operation, and the thief smashes into something due to lack of steering input.
Sponsored