First Name
Antioch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2.0
Occupation
disabled/retired
getting ready for first oil change. best aftermarket oil filter, or mopar? first oil change is coming up. i'll either be using mobil 1, or amazon synthetic.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I always use mobil1 full synthetic 5w30, which is high quality and has the recommended additive pack for our engines. I also only use OEM Mopar filters, because they are designed to the engines specs.

OP
OP

Antioch

First Name
Antioch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
disabled/retired
I always use mobil1 full synthetic 5w30, which is high quality and has the recommended additive pack for our engines. I also only use OEM Mopar filters, because they are designed to the engines specs.
yeah most people are using mobil 1 which is what i'll probably go with. but there is a lot of aftermarket stuff other ppl are using on other parts of the engine i was just wondering what the general consensus was about using the OEM filter or an aftermarket. if aftermarket which brand i should look for. thanks for your input though.

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
Antioch,

This is always a loaded question since everyone has their favorites (or bad experiences). When I owned my Honda S2000 I was very particular on what oil and filter I ran (due to the high performance high reving engine). IMO all the synthetics do a a great job, I am partial to Mobil 1. As far as filters - it is very dependent on who manufactures the filter.

I do not know who Mopar has making their filters or if the make their own. On the Honda it was interesting, if you went to a dealer they would sell you a filter that was exactly the same as the OEM (color, number, labeling) that came with the car EXCEPT if you looked hard it was made by Filtech Co. (originals were made by a Japanese company, can't remember the name). One of the S2000 forum members did an extensive analysis on several filters, cutting them open, checking on materials they used in construction, amount of filter media, etc. Anyway big difference between the Filtech and Japanese filters for the Honda (Japanese ones were available online so I always ordered online).

Of the other filters he looked at I remember the Mobil 1 and Purolator Pure One (their more expensive one) were well constructed. I have used both in my other cars. Anyway probably more than you wanted to know.

OP
OP

Antioch

First Name
Antioch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
disabled/retired
Antioch,

This is always a loaded question since everyone has their favorites (or bad experiences). When I owned my Honda S2000 I was very particular on what oil and filter I ran (due to the high performance high reving engine). IMO all the synthetics do a a great job, I am partial to Mobil 1. As far as filters - it is very dependent on who manufactures the filter.

I do not know who Mopar has making their filters or if the make their own. On the Honda it was interesting, if you went to a dealer they would sell you a filter that was exactly the same as the OEM (color, number, labeling) that came with the car EXCEPT if you looked hard it was made by Filtech Co. (originals were made by a Japanese company, can't remember the name). One of the S2000 forum members did an extensive analysis on several filters, cutting them open, checking on materials they used in construction, amount of filter media, etc. Anyway big difference between the Filtech and Japanese filters for the Honda (Japanese ones were available online so I always ordered online).

Of the other filters he looked at I remember the Mobil 1 and Purolator Pure One (their more expensive one) were well constructed. I have used both in my other cars. Anyway probably more than you wanted to know.
hey man i appreciate any info. that seems pretty thorough to me lol. i'll take that into consideration. thanks again.

Sponsored

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
Quick update since I saw some of the concerns with the direct injection on the 2.0L (not sure what engine you have, if its the 3.6 this will be less important). Anyway one of the items that causes potential build up on the intake valves is unburnt/atomized oil that is in the air being recirculated to the engine via the PCV valve.

One way to reduce this is to use oil with a low vapor point (my wording/nomenclature may be off). The testing they showed had synthetics having the lower points with Red Line Oil being the lowest followed by Penzoil Ultra, Amsoil Signature, Mobil 1 extended, etc. All were pretty close so I would still stay with Mobil One or Penzoil Ultra (mainly because they're easy to find and reasonable). Red Line and Amsoil are great oils - just harder to track down and more money.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Personally I wouldn't want to test FCA's warranty policies after cruising in for an issue with a non Mopar oil filter and out of spec oil viscosity. But that's just me and my paranoia after owning multiple Vipers.

Gloves1

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep
Called And emailed Mobil. They do not have an oil that meets our turbo requirements. So Mobil 1 is out. DO NOT USE! Also contacted Castrol to see if Syntec met requirements.. was told not at this time. Contacted Pennzoil. Their Platinum does meet requirements and the has a notification on the container saying that it has been redesigned to meet turbo requirements. Their Platinum Ultra does not. Oil must meet MS-13340. I had to actually educate our local Jeep dealer. Also our motor takes 5 quarts.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Penzoil Platinum as it has all the additives the 2.0L needs and the right Dexos Gen-2 specification.

For the oil filter Royal Purple is the best at both filtering capacity and flow rates. They are expensive compared to the mass produced stamped crap but well worth it. I've cut many filters open and the RP's are consistently well built.

Also check out Femco valves as it makes home oil changes a snap.

Gloves1

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep
My enqiries to Mobil regarding Mobil 1 and to Castrol were made earlier this year. This will likely change or may have changed since I called them. One must read the back of the container to read the oil specifications. Oil must meet MS-13340

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Also checked Royal Purple and it did not meet the MS-13340 spec at the time
RP filters, as for oil I did not see RP having anything Dexos Gen-2 rated at the time so I stick with Penzoil.