Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply broski.

Also, did the OEM glass they brought out have the little Jeep decal or am I going to have to find one online?
OEM will have the Jeep on it.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
so why jeep so easy to crack windshield.
It's so vertical that the rocks don't skip off it as easily as a normal car. So it hits harder although I managed to crack mine by simply having the wiper arm (without the wiper on it) slip, literally 4", out of my hand and crack the windshield. Unreal, it's like they are using the most fragile glass known to man.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, the acoustic windshield is not only for the Rubicon, it is for any model with the Alpine stereo and will actually say "acoustic" in the lower left corner.
Even my Sport S with base stereo has the Acoustic windshield.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Thanks for the reply broski.

Also, did the OEM glass they brought out have the little Jeep decal or am I going to have to find one online?
They gave me the option to use their glass which does not come with the Jeep emblem and would be a little cheaper order use the OEM glass which does come with the Jeep emblem. I chose the Jeep emblem because I have a $0 glass deductible so it's no extra cost for me

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
They gave me the option to use their glass which does not come with the Jeep emblem and would be a little cheaper order use the OEM glass which does come with the Jeep emblem. I chose the Jeep emblem because I have a $0 glass deductible so it's no extra cost for me
same here it’s all free for me. Question, did they ask you that before coming out or while on site? Because I need to call them and let them know I want OEM.. My appt is Friday at my house but they haven’t contacted me yet.

Sponsored

ToddEichel

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Just scheduled my 4th replacement today (so 5th windshield now) on my '18 JLUR I bought almost exactly a year ago. First crack was about 5 days after delivery, second about 4 months later and third two months after that. I've been good for about 6 months, then just got a new one again about a week and a half ago, nice little bulls-eye right above the passenger wiper with a foot long crack straight up. I was looking at putting one of those protective films on there because I was worried about insurance raising my rates or dropping me all together. Seems like it doesn't really help much, though, after I've talked to some other folks, and my insurance agent said I'm paying for pretty high end insurance so they don't really care (Nationwide Private Client). So, guess I'll just keep replacing them until they complain.

Side note, have they come out with the Gorilla Glass for the JL's yet? It doesn't sound like it does much good from what I've heard from some JK folks who have had it...

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I made it 10 months. Then an asshat on the freeway goes off onto the shoulder of the freway and kicked up a rock cracking my windshield. The crack is spreading about an quarter in a day when I drive it.

The funny thing is my friend was following me in his JLUR back from a road trip and he hit an owl taking out his windshield. I laughed at him. Then a few hours later. BAM my windshield is toast.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
same here it’s all free for me. Question, did they ask you that before coming out or while on site? Because I need to call them and let them know I want OEM.. My appt is Friday at my house but they haven’t contacted me yet.
They asked me when I made e the insurance claim and set the appointment.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
They asked me when I made e the insurance claim and set the appointment.
Hey thanks for the follow-up man. Looks like I am going to have to call them. I scheduled mine through my insurance companies iPhone app so I never spoke to anyone...

EDIT:
Called and put in the request for OEM glass.

Thanks for the heads up on that one buddy!

Last edited:

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Proud to join the ranks of second windshield club! All done Safelite did a great job!

Obviously my permaplate is gone now and as crazy as it sounds my windshield seems a lot more clear lol

Not even sure permaplate was even a benefit at this point. It had just came with my rig when I purchased it.

Oh well, live and let go! Guess I’ll never know haha

Sponsored

MLC40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
3 OEM windshields replaced within 4 months so on the 4th one I opted to have an aftermarket one installed. 2 rocks have hit it and I thought for sure I'd be replacing it again, but nothing happened. Hmmmm...OEM isn't always better.

thumperer

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
meltmedia.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Founder/BizDev
Welp, as of 2 days ago, I’m ready for my 6th windshield in 14-15 months. Gettin silly.

About to road trip for a week. Hope the damn thing gets 60 more rocks before I replace it yet again.

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Took a rock on the fwy two mornings ago, damn Caltrans fixing their horrible work. This one just make a 1/4" crack and not a 8"+ crack, so glass company came out next day, drilled a hole and shot epoxy in. I can barely see it now! 3K+ miles I will call that 1 window and 1 crack so 1.1 so far

TxJeep69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 IH Scout, a few others
So I got my new windshield yesterday. Didn’t last 24 hours. Had a rock strike on the way to work today that spidered into two 8” cracks and a third that’s likely to grow. Made a new insurance claim this afternoon. This is ridiculous and very frustrating.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I made it 10,000 miles in my 2019 before a crack, then it busted the week before I had to turn it in for the repurchase. On my 2020, I got less than 100 miles before a crack. The roads here in AZ are a killer due to all the rock around. I try to stay far back on the highway, but still got nailed.
Sponsored