Sponsored

Ya'll will probably hate me, but here goes...

Jabakkarabbit

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubi
I've been getting a mid-sized pickup every year now since 2012. I've had the Canyon, a couple of Tacoma's and Frontiers, and even snubbed my nose at the girly Honda truck. But now I have the Jeep bug.

I've been snooping around your forum for 2 days now and just signed up because I am more confused now than ever.

I've never owned a Jeep, nor rode in one, and only recently test drove the Gladiator. And I have some questions. My local dealers carry more 4 cylinder Wranglers than 6. Why? I'd have never thought that a 4 cylinder would climb even the smallest hill. I guess they're popular...

My price point is about $40k, and I'm waffling between the Sport S of the Wrangler and the Gladiator. There's a dealer in Charlotte with 18's still on the lot. They want 30k for a retail 35k. It's a Wrangler Unlimited 4x4. Is this worth it, or has it already lost 2 years of value?

I'm used to the roominess of a mid-sized truck, so transitioning to a Jeep is kind of hard, but I just feel compelled to get a Jeep, so I will. I keep reading terms like Unlimited, JK, JL, well, you get it. I just want a good starter Jeep to drive around the farm. It has to tackle hills, terraces, thickets, mud, creeks. I'm guessing any Jeep will do that. Correct?

And as far as the add-ons, I need a spray in bed liner and a class 4 hitch. Would I be better off getting those after-market? And I've noticed that getting a manual is pretty difficult.

The Charlotte area dealerships all want to add on $1,800 in so-called ripoff dealership fees, so I'm going to deal with Galeana Jeep in Columbia SC, whose fee is sub-300.

I'm all over the place as you can see, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BTW, the salesman in Columbia is Jersey Jeff. If any of you know of him, put in a good word for me. He'll be calling me back tomorrow.
Sponsored

Aspaztikcolon

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Why a 4 cylinder? Look at the specs, power is power no matter the size of the engine. You act like you don't know what a trim package is though despite having other vehicles. Sport, Sahara Rubicon is the same as Z71, WT, LT, LTZ, TRD. Like ANYTHING else in your life, buy what you can afford, buy what fits your needs. Only you know what you need

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
You should buy a 2 door Wrangler Rubicon. Itā€™s the only manly choice. Besides, God kills a kitten every time someone buys a 4 door.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I've been getting a mid-sized pickup every year now since 2012. I've had the Canyon, a couple of Tacoma's and Frontiers, and even snubbed my nose at the girly Honda truck. But now I have the Jeep bug.

I've been snooping around your forum for 2 days now and just signed up because I am more confused now than ever.

I've never owned a Jeep, nor rode in one, and only recently test drove the Gladiator. And I have some questions. My local dealers carry more 4 cylinder Wranglers than 6. Why? I'd have never thought that a 4 cylinder would climb even the smallest hill. I guess they're popular...

My price point is about $40k, and I'm waffling between the Sport S of the Wrangler and the Gladiator. There's a dealer in Charlotte with 18's still on the lot. They want 30k for a retail 35k. It's a Wrangler Unlimited 4x4. Is this worth it, or has it already lost 2 years of value?

I'm used to the roominess of a mid-sized truck, so transitioning to a Jeep is kind of hard, but I just feel compelled to get a Jeep, so I will. I keep reading terms like Unlimited, JK, JL, well, you get it. I just want a good starter Jeep to drive around the farm. It has to tackle hills, terraces, thickets, mud, creeks. I'm guessing any Jeep will do that. Correct?

And as far as the add-ons, I need a spray in bed liner and a class 4 hitch. Would I be better off getting those after-market? And I've noticed that getting a manual is pretty difficult.

The Charlotte area dealerships all want to add on $1,800 in so-called ripoff dealership fees, so I'm going to deal with Galeana Jeep in Columbia SC, whose fee is sub-300.

I'm all over the place as you can see, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BTW, the salesman in Columbia is Jersey Jeff. If any of you know of him, put in a good word for me. He'll be calling me back tomorrow.
4 cylinder jeeps are popular because they perform well, the automatic transmission is popular, CAFE, and jeep pushes them hard. At least the salesmen I dealt with did. I had to repeat numerous times that I wasnā€™t interested in the 4 cylinder because I was getting a manual transmission.

I wouldnā€™t pay 30k for a 2018 with an MSRP of 35k. Iā€™d rather order a ā€˜20 and maybe get a slightly worse deal but have a jeep that hasnā€™t been sitting around for one to almost two years. Check the price discussions section of this forum for more info on prices and what deals people are getting around the country. Iā€™m out of the loop on that because Iā€™ve had my jeep for half a year now.

As far as the acronyms:
TJ = 1997 to 2006 jeep
JK = 2007 to 2017 jeep (and some 2018 models; just look at it and if it looks boring itā€™s a JK)
JL = 2018 to present models
JLU = four door jeep (Unlimited)
JLUR = four door Rubicon
JLUS = four door sport, sport S or Sahara (usually sahara)
Any of these jeeps will tackle the situations you described better than the pickups youā€™ve had, unless theyā€™re the purpose-built off-road versions of those pickups compared to a base Sport with the lame tires.

I would get the tow package from the factory, but yes youā€™ll need to have any spray-in bedliner done aftermarket (for a wrangler, anyway; canā€™t speak to the gladiator).

You should buy a 2 door Wrangler Rubicon. Itā€™s the only manly choice. Besides, God kills a kitten every time someone buys a 4 door.
Normally Iā€™d agree with you but I get the sense that a JLR would be too small for the OP. He needs a gladiator or Unlimited.

OP, I definitely agree that manual transmissions are hard to find. Consider ordering a jeep built to your specs. You donā€™t need all the options checked like jeep and the dealers would prefer; you could probably get a JLUR for under $45k and have a badass machine. I got my JLR (two door Rubicon) for under $40k.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
JK = 2007 to 2017 jeep (and some 2018 models; just look at it and if it looks boring itā€™s a JK)

:CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL:

I never could get on board with JK styling. CJ-5 is my all time favorite, I loved my TJ, but the JK was just... Ewww. When the JL came out, pretty much a 4 door TJ, I just had to have one

Sponsored

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
OP - not sure your timeline or where youā€™ve looked in Charlotte. LKN Jeep sucks but I had a good experience at Hendrick. I would be happy to help you out in the ā€œwhatā€™s whatā€ category but am currently out of town. Post up in the regional forums, lots of Charlotte folks in there that would help out a rookie.

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
The 4 cylinder is pushed for fuel economy. btw it has more power than the 6.
Auto trans are ordered because thatā€™s what most people want these days.
Wranglers will only come with a class 2 receiver,3500 max tow but only on certain models.
gladiators have different tow ratings depending on trim as well.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Meh, I think my 2 door JKā€™s, and the wifeā€™s 4 door JKUā€™s were hawt. Opinions vary.

327FB70B-EEC7-43D5-88C1-0E0E4E277A3F.jpeg

AD384458-A840-4DD5-8AB9-CAF0D1F7A379.jpeg

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I would at least get a price quote from Tri-City. Not much further than Columbia and offering very low no-haggle prices.

Jeep seems to be pushing the 4 cylinder turbo. At altitude it probably outperforms the 6 cylinder off-road. Some are wary of it because it is new and turbos are more complicated, but it seems like a good engine for this vehicle.

A Sport S would meet your needs for capability.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Meh, I think my 2 door JKā€™s, and the wifeā€™s 4 door JKUā€™s were hawt. Opinions vary.

They can certainly be built right but off the showroom floor... wasn't my cup of tea. Fortunately I'm in the minority because without your contributions to JK sales the JL never would have come to be.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Get a gladiator sport S with the max tow package. Wranglers canā€™t tow past the limits of a class 3 hitch so it sounds like youā€™d be overloading the Jeep.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase

:CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL:

I never could get on board with JK styling. CJ-5 is my all time favorite, I loved my TJ, but the JK was just... Ewww. When the JL came out, pretty much a 4 door TJ, I just had to have one
Thatā€™s because it has no styling :CWL:

Those are indeed great looking jeeps. Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™m super harsh on JKs but theyā€™re still wranglers and therefore still preferable to every other SUV sold in the US from 07-18. I just personally find their styling bland and uninspired. Theyā€™re my least favorite of the CJ/Wrangler family of vehicles. I think of JKs as like 110% scale TJs without the styling or personality and with extra bloat and weight. I think of JLs as maybe 112% scale TJs that look and feel like 105% scale TJs and have the style and personality of the TJ, the CJ and even a little bit YJ. That sounds complicated but I think it speaks to the quality of the JLā€™s design.

They can certainly be built right but off the showroom floor... wasn't my cup of tea. Fortunately I'm in the minority because without your contributions to JK sales the JL never would have come to be.
This is exactly my sentiment. As much as I rag on the JK, Iā€™m glad Jeep released it when they did. The JK ensured the Wranglerā€™s continued existence and refinement into the JL.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I got mine at Lake Norman CDJ and they had some really good deals.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Sounds like you need to tow more than a wrangler can handle. Gladiator seems to be your only choice.
Sponsored