Sponsored

USB CD player - what external enclosure units work ?

MLBRINES

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Chevy C10 1/2 ton pickup short bed. 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired IBM
I've searched on this topic and find sporadic information, but no detail:

What USB CD player external drive enclosures have you tried that work ? I just purchased a CD player with both the USB Type A and USB type C plugs on it. I verified the CD player works on my PC. It does not work when plugged into either USB port on the 2019 Wrangler JLU media player ports located on the front console, the center console, or the rear drivers side media port.

On the CD is one song in .WAV format. I have not tried a CD with on a .MP3 song file on it. I'll try that next.

I run a music studio and I want to listen to my studio mix on a different sound system. Generally, I want to listen to both a .WAV file and a .MP3 version of the same song(s).

BTW, I can place both a .MP3 and a .WAV file on a USB thumb drive and the Jeep system recognizes it's plugged in (any of the media ports) and gives me a screen to pause, play, forward, etc. I never see this screen when plugging in the CD player I purchased, so the Jeep doesn't recognize it as a media output device.

Any help and specific units that work is super appreciated mates. Thank you.
Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Has anyone actually done this and/or is the cost of experimentation even worth it? If you're the origin of the media why does it need to be put onto a CD rather than onto a proper device + played back over USB or Bluetooth?

OP
OP
MLBRINES

MLBRINES

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired IBM
Has anyone actually done this and/or is the cost of experimentation even worth it? If you're the origin of the media why does it need to be put onto a CD rather than onto a proper device + played back over USB or Bluetooth?
Hi jessedacri….good question....as I mentioned in my starting post: "I run a music studio and I want to listen to my studio mix on a different sound system. Generally, I want to listen to both a .WAV file and a .MP3 version of the same song(s)."

The artists that come into my studio generally still want CD's. I agree with the way you're going though, USB thumb drives, or just simply an electronic link to the song(s) may be all that's needed, so they can be uploaded to media platforms for song sales. But, keep in mind, however the song is given to the customer, as a sound engineer, you want to be positive the song(s) plays equally well in ALL formats....whether it's commercial Red Book Audio (.WAV format) or .mp3. .MP3 is a lower sound quality than the commercial .WAV format, but many people nowadays use the lower quality. The main reason is generally the .MP3 is about a tenth the file size of the commercial .WAV format. (ie; 5MB vs 40 MB). So, it's understandable file-size wise. Does that help and makes sense ?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi jessedacri….good question....as I mentioned in my starting post: "I run a music studio and I want to listen to my studio mix on a different sound system. Generally, I want to listen to both a .WAV file and a .MP3 version of the same song(s)."

The artists that come into my studio generally still want CD's. I agree with the way you're going though, USB thumb drives, or just simply an electronic link to the song(s) may be all that's needed, so they can be uploaded to media platforms for song sales. But, keep in mind, however the song is given to the customer, as a sound engineer, you want to be positive the song(s) plays equally well in ALL formats....whether it's commercial Red Book Audio (.WAV format) or .mp3. .MP3 is a lower sound quality than the commercial .WAV format, but many people nowadays use the lower quality. The main reason is generally the .MP3 is about a tenth the file size of the commercial .WAV format. (ie; 5MB vs 40 MB). So, it's understandable file-size wise. Does that help and makes sense ?

I understand your intentions here as I work in a similar industry - but for your purposes of wanting to listen to a few different formats, why not do that on a smartphone (or a laptop connected to the 3.5mm jack)? Any smartphone can play .wav, mp3, m4a etc without issue and is much easier than trying to get the uConnect system to recognize a disk drive. I'd just throw the different formats into a dropbox link and either play them via the Dropbox iOS / Android app or use it to download them locally to the device and play with a media player of your choice. Forgive me if I'm overlooking something specific here, but it just seems that ditching CDs for this purpose is the better way to go.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Unless you've installed some reference aftermarket speakers, there's no way in hell you can tell the difference between .wav, .mp3 or lossless in your Jeep.

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unless you've installed some reference aftermarket speakers, there's no way in hell you can tell the difference between .wav, .mp3 or lossless in your Jeep.

It's possible though and there's a legitimate reason to want to demo these things - typically you want to listen to everything on consumer-grade systems at some point so that you can best discern what your average listener is going to hear. I do a similar thing as a cinematographer and director - you always want to see your 4K ProRes 422HQ delivery file on an iPhone and on an average laptop as that's where most users will consume your content.

OP
OP
MLBRINES

MLBRINES

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired IBM
It's possible though and there's a legitimate reason to want to demo these things - typically you want to listen to everything on consumer-grade systems at some point so that you can best discern what your average listener is going to hear. I do a similar thing as a cinematographer and director - you always want to see your 4K ProRes 422HQ delivery file on an iPhone and on an average laptop as that's where most users will consume your content.
jessedacri…..you're right on mate...totally agree with your suggestion on listening on the phone, etc. You hit the nail on the head....I already do listen on my music mixing monitors, my studio main speakers, my phone, my laptop, and I used to pop a CD into my 04 Jeep TJ to listen also. I still want the ability to try and listen in my Jeep. I did verify today that my Jeep will play .MP3 and .Wav song files.

I very much appreciate your input....super thought out and you're right, we have some common routines we go thru...that's pretty cool !

So, basically, I'm back to wanting a CD player I can plug into my Jeep's media ports to listen.

OP
OP
MLBRINES

MLBRINES

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired IBM
Hi fat_head. You miss the point. I'm not looking to be able to tell the difference in .MP3 and .Wav song files in my Jeep. I'm a sound engineer, I already know the differences in those file formats...I want the ability to play those files on a CD player in my Jeep. Just as I connect a phone or iPod or USB stick, I want the ability to connect a CD player as it's another source for me to listen to.

I appreciate your comments...thanx mate !

So, back to my initial question.....any thoughts on a known working portable CD player that works when connected to the Jeep's media ports ?

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
In 2018, the Grand Cherokee had an option of a cd player mounted in the center console ... beneath the arm rest. Look at that CD player's spec's and you may find some answers. Pls post back if you figure it out.

Now have 1050 lossless songs on my 32 GB thumb drive. Best decision. Figured how to do playlists. To mix things up, recently started to play all the songs that start with the letter T as a way to randomized song sequence. Very nice.

Gave up on cd player ... could not figure how to install ... tried a CD player that worked with PC ... that did not work either. Good luck.

Here's some more technical info on Uconnect Media Player, if you're interested: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/uconnect-usb-media-player.7132/

OP
OP
MLBRINES

MLBRINES

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired IBM
In 2018, the Grand Cherokee had an option of a cd player mounted in the center console ... beneath the arm rest. Look at that CD player's spec's and you may find some answers. Pls post back if you figure it out.

Now have 1050 lossless songs on my 32 GB thumb drive. Best decision. Figured how to do playlists. To mix things up, recently started to play all the songs that start with the letter T as a way to randomized song sequence. Very nice.

Gave up on cd player ... could not figure how to install ... tried a CD player that worked with PC ... that did not work either. Good luck.

Here's some more technical info on Uconnect Media Player, if you're interested: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/uconnect-usb-media-player.7132/
Sierra Nevada...I'll check into that mate...thank you. I did read some other posts you've done to share a lot of work on your part to get the songs in folders, with song lists, and the ability to give voice commands....that's a lot of work my friend and u did a great job on that too ! Like you, I thought it would be a simple thing to connect a CD player to the media ports and bam...I could listen to a song, but nooooo, it's not that easy......dang it !

I'll keep on trucking on this one... I KNOW I read a post where someone said they ordered a CD player and it worked....just can't find the post or any info on the actual player used.

Thanx again tho...super appreciated !

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I've searched on this topic and find sporadic information, but no detail:

What USB CD player external drive enclosures have you tried that work ? I just purchased a CD player with both the USB Type A and USB type C plugs on it. I verified the CD player works on my PC. It does not work when plugged into either USB port on the 2019 Wrangler JLU media player ports located on the front console, the center console, or the rear drivers side media port.

On the CD is one song in .WAV format. I have not tried a CD with on a .MP3 song file on it. I'll try that next.

I run a music studio and I want to listen to my studio mix on a different sound system. Generally, I want to listen to both a .WAV file and a .MP3 version of the same song(s).

BTW, I can place both a .MP3 and a .WAV file on a USB thumb drive and the Jeep system recognizes it's plugged in (any of the media ports) and gives me a screen to pause, play, forward, etc. I never see this screen when plugging in the CD player I purchased, so the Jeep doesn't recognize it as a media output device.

Any help and specific units that work is super appreciated mates. Thank you.
Maybe what you want is a 3.5mm to Bluetooth adapter, all portable CD players have 3.5mm out, you just need something to convert 3.5mm into wireless signals to be received by the Uconnect.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EHSX28M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_csvLDbR5TY5JB

I’m also tempted to say 3.5mm to USB adapter, but I’m not sure if these new Uconnect systems will treat USB as an AUX-in anymore.
Sponsored