Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2000 TJ, 2001 XJ
Me, too. I have the Steer Smarts track bar, Falcon 2.2 stabilizer, and new AD box. The aftermarket parts helped, but the problem is bigger than that. The AD box did nothing.
Just curious; did you increase caster at all?? The biggest improvement in wandering for me was a caster of 7.
Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Just curious; did you increase caster at all?? The biggest improvement in wandering for me was a caster of 7.
The first mod was to put the Mopar lift LCAs on and that got me to 6*, which is the upper end of the spec. However, Iā€™ve read that people are happy with 7, so if the dealer can get my Jeep sorted out, Iā€™ll switch to the MC adjustable LCAs.

The service advisor was saying they might want to remove my track bar and stabilizer to see how it is stock. Ugh. At least they havenā€™t noticed my LCAs.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
So I picked up my wobble loose rubicon tonight, really took the magic out of my new dream ride... realizing you guys were not over reacting to the steering issues.. does anyone have clear simple directions on how to get this fixed?
Iā€™m still in the middle of this process, but Iā€™d recommend getting your alignment numbers to see what the caster is and fix the toe if needed (mine was way off from the lot).

Also check the components for torque. My sway links were too loose and that made a difference.

Good luck!

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m still in the middle of this process, but Iā€™d recommend getting your alignment numbers to see what the caster is and fix the toe if needed (mine was way off from the lot).

Also check the components for torque. My sway links were too loose and that made a difference.

Good luck!
Good tips, what alignment numbers are ideal?
I am going to the dealer tomorrow

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only alignment change that can be adjusted is the toe and it is usually not right from the factory.
The total toe per FCA Help Desk is 0.34 - 0.36. The upper limit is 0.40.

Sponsored

VWE

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 JLUR, ā€˜06 LX 100-series
The only alignment change that can be adjusted is the toe and it is usually not right from the factory.
Would incorrect toe accelerate tire wear? Anyone having front tire wear issues?

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
What does this number mean? Toe in? Toe out? Is the number the angle in degrees?

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Good idea to go to the dealer so soon. I was at the dealer after two weeks and having that on record helped establish my history of steering issues.

@tk2fast covered the toe. My dealer checked the alignment and fixed the toe at that first appointment because it was off by quite a bit and uneven.

I had to put longer LCAs on to increase the caster angle. I wish I would have gotten adjustable. Definitely a good idea if a lift is in your future.

I am curious as to the stock caster on a 2020 Rubicon (in other words, did they use the longer LCAs).

I have read that 6 degrees was at the upper end of the FCA spec for caster, but some do better at 7*.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Good idea to go to the dealer so soon. I was at the dealer after two weeks and having that on record helped establish my history of steering issues.

@tk2fast covered the toe. My dealer checked the alignment and fixed the toe at that first appointment because it was off by quite a bit and uneven.

I had to put longer LCAs on to increase the caster angle. I wish I would have gotten adjustable. Definitely a good idea if a lift is in your future.

I am curious as to the stock caster on a 2020 Rubicon (in other words, did they use the longer LCAs).

I have read that 6 degrees was at the upper end of the FCA spec for caster, but some do better at 7*.
ya I am supposed to do lift and wheels Thursday, but now I am worried to mess with it till I get steering dialed in because I donā€™t want them blaming lift

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase

The 2020 I crawled under at the lot still used the NON-LIFT LCA's as evidenced by part number etched on the sides. I checked because I had heard that all Rubicon's now got the longer arms and was curious.

Sponsored

jimmydarnell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sport
So, how many people have successfully Lemon Lawed this problem?

I want them to just replace it with one off the lot that I can test drive and verify its good.

I just don't feel safe in this on the interstate.
Good question. And I think the lemon laws vary by state. Have you checked yours? Might be worth a new thread to get the best attention. For GA its confusing but something to the extent of X number of issues, x number of attempts to fix same issue or x number of days at the dealer in the first two years.

Im trying really hard not to go down that road because I still want a Jeep. GA gives 2 options if qualifies as lemon.
1. another Jeep very similar ( I assume they work with you on this if small differences)
2. buy back (some details involved here but it sounds like they make it right considering mileage/trade in when you bought it etc)

My thoughts are:
If they give me another one - some people dont have the issue till many miles after they buy it I think. So whats to say it doesnt come up later? I guess could hope there is a fix by then? Not sure thats smart considering they wont even acknowledge it yet. But hey, could work out.

If they buy it back, then I have to go hunt down one I like. And I like the one I got which is an 18, not sure how hard will be to find that again for the price Im good with (I think I got a good deal and dont want to have to deal with trade value and interest rates/ approval etc).

So part of me just wants to get my Jeep back and hope Jeep does the right thing.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
The 2020 I crawled under at the lot still used the NON-LIFT LCA's as evidenced by part number etched on the sides. I checked because I had heard that all Rubicon's now got the longer arms and was curious.
Thanks for that. I heard that as well and was curious if it were true. Too bad.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
So, how many people have successfully Lemon Lawed this problem?

I want them to just replace it with one off the lot that I can test drive and verify its good.

I just don't feel safe in this on the interstate.
Good question. And I think the lemon laws vary by state. Have you checked yours? Might be worth a new thread to get the best attention. For GA its confusing but something to the extent of X number of issues, x number of attempts to fix same issue or x number of days at the dealer in the first two years.

Im trying really hard not to go down that road because I still want a Jeep. GA gives 2 options if qualifies as lemon.
1. another Jeep very similar ( I assume they work with you on this if small differences)
2. buy back (some details involved here but it sounds like they make it right considering mileage/trade in when you bought it etc)

My thoughts are:
If they give me another one - some people dont have the issue till many miles after they buy it I think. So whats to say it doesnt come up later? I guess could hope there is a fix by then? Not sure thats smart considering they wont even acknowledge it yet. But hey, could work out.

If they buy it back, then I have to go hunt down one I like. And I like the one I got which is an 18, not sure how hard will be to find that again for the price Im good with (I think I got a good deal and dont want to have to deal with trade value and interest rates/ approval etc).

So part of me just wants to get my Jeep back and hope Jeep does the right thing.
I'm beginning to think about that, too. I am taking mine in this morningā€”for the fifth time for steering. It's simply not usable and it's inconceivable to pay for a Jeep that I can't drive to the mountains. I'm sure my dealer is as sick of my Jeep as I am of the issue.

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would incorrect toe accelerate tire wear? Anyone having front tire wear issues?
Yes it can and will cause "scrubbing" of the outer edge of the tire if toe in is excessive. The 0.34 total toe in recommended by FCA is not according to them.

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What does this number mean? Toe in? Toe out? Is the number the angle in degrees?
Toe is measured in degrees either positive or negative from the straight centerline of the tire. Jeep wranglers are toe in (positive toe).
upload_2019-10-2_6-22-55.png
Sponsored