Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
Occupation
General idiot, know nothing
Vehicle Showcase
Did they check torque on all steering and suspension components including drag link, sway bars, ball joint nuts, track bar, etc.? Many of us have found finger tight fasteners. And is the toe set to the max of the range? What caster number is it at?
They checked everything. I did not have the loose components issue that some have, the front end was tight and too spec. Alignment is all within spec to but I don't have the exact numbers. I'm really convinced this is a steering box issue and the AE version I got is just another piece of Chinese made crap that FCA is using. Just couldn't spend a few more bucks on an American made part for an iconic American vehicle. Not like were not paying enough for these!
Sponsored

jeiep12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
First time posting and first Wrangler:

My JLU (Sahara with all-season) now has about 1k miles. It was pulling to the right with little bit of play to keep it straight on a flat surface. I just took mine in to a dealer, they checked alignment, and simply said nothing is wrong and it’s the crown of the road.

V41 recall was done before I bought it and I can see that damper is installed correctly.

My question is how much steering play is acceptable? I can drive with one hand with no issue, but still bothers me a little. Probably one inch or so correction. When I test drove another JLU with all-terrain tires I did not notice any steering issue.

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2000 TJ, 2001 XJ
They checked everything. I did not have the loose components issue that some have, the front end was tight and too spec. Alignment is all within spec to but I don't have the exact numbers. I'm really convinced this is a steering box issue and the AE version I got is just another piece of Chinese made crap that FCA is using. Just couldn't spend a few more bucks on an American made part for an iconic American vehicle. Not like were not paying enough for these!
These issues with the JL's and many other FCA vehicles is their own doing by using the lowest bidder for parts and then pressuring them to go lower, because you see we will be using over a million of these parts and we need your better price. Inevitably the price pressuring cuts the overall quality because the manufacturer can't make enough, so oh, that quality control check per 100 parts has to go. If FCA can save $10 per unit on a tubular track bar, they WILL do it! Times that per 100K vehicles. Could be that's exactly what we are seeing now.

Last edited:

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2000 TJ, 2001 XJ
First time posting and first Wrangler:

My JLU (Sahara with all-season) now has about 1k miles. It was pulling to the right with little bit of play to keep it straight on a flat surface. I just took mine in to a dealer, they checked alignment, and simply said nothing is wrong and it’s the crown of the road.

V41 recall was done before I bought it and I can see that damper is installed correctly.

My question is how much steering play is acceptable? I can drive with one hand with no issue, but still bothers me a little. Probably one inch or so correction. When I test drove another JLU with all-terrain tires I did not notice any steering issue.
I think the AT tires do help, especially if they are larger than the 245/75/17's mine had. Caster is the biggie here that I have found. Mine is at 7 and I'm happy. The ~1" play in the wheel is no contest now.

Last edited:

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
They SAY they checked torque. They said they checked mine but they didn’t. Brought it to a 4x4 shop with the torque info printed and the ball joints were finger tight and track bar, drag link, etc. weren’t even at 50%. You can see if they checked the ball joint nuts torque by looking at the cotter pins. If they look perfectly bent like a factory robot bent it, then the dealer didn’t check torque. If the cotter pins look a bit messy like a human used pliers then they did check. The cotter pins have to be removed to check torque on the ball joints. I agree about your quality comment and I am surprised not all JLs have the steering problems. My steering problems are now gone and I have the same Chinese made steering box.

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They SAY they checked torque. They said they checked mine but they didn’t. Brought it to a 4x4 shop with the torque info printed and the ball joints were finger tight and track bar, drag link, etc. weren’t even at 50%. You can see if they checked the ball joint nuts torque by looking at the cotter pins. If they look perfectly bent like a factory robot bent it, then the dealer didn’t check torque. If the cotter pins look a bit messy like a human used pliers then they did check. The cotter pins have to be removed to check torque on the ball joints. I agree about your quality comment and I am surprised not all JLs have the steering problems. My steering problems are now gone and I have the same Chinese made steering box.
I went out and just checked with my torque wrench just to be sure. Everything is nice and tight as it should be.The cotter pins were bent like they were off once before so I believe they did check as they stated they did. The dealership is fine (they even put on the damper correctly!) but their communication is awful. That's why I'm not sure what to do next. The Jeep is great and the steering is the only issue I have, not like others who have all sorts of weirdness going on. Just frustrating, especially when I drive my 20 year old TJ and it steers better.

jimmydarnell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sport
I went out and just checked with my torque wrench just to be sure. Everything is nice and tight as it should be.The cotter pins were bent like they were off once before so I believe they did check as they stated they did. The dealership is fine (they even put on the damper correctly!) but their communication is awful. That's why I'm not sure what to do next. The Jeep is great and the steering is the only issue I have, not like others who have all sorts of weirdness going on. Just frustrating, especially when I drive my 20 year old TJ and it steers better.
I am feeling very confident they are working on a fix and just not telling us. But cant be certain. And we need people to keep reporting it so the pressure stays on them.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I am feeling very confident they are working on a fix and just not telling us. But cant be certain. And we need people to keep reporting it so the pressure stays on them.
My dealer has said that FCA is definitely aware of the issue and are working on it.

OK. Fine. But in the meantime I have a barely drivable Jeep I’m paying for that is about to go back to the dealer.

Sponsored

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer has said that FCA is definitely aware of the issue and are working on it.

OK. Fine. But in the meantime I have a barely drivable Jeep I’m paying for that is about to go back to the dealer.
I'd like to know what the fix is. I thought it was the AE steering box, or the new damper, or the new track bar or any combination of the three or all three. Jeep doesn't know.

rainmakerjjo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2015
Back in 2009, there was an engine pinging issue with Acura's TSX, which I owned at the time. Our Acura forum drafted individual emails to senior members of Honda, professional accounts documenting the issue, chronicling the events to fix, etc. We actually got responses and ultimately Acura released a TSB to replace fault knock sensors. We tried the NHSTA approach but found it very slow moving.

[email protected] appears to the their email convention

Christian Meunier – Head Jeep Division

Mark Stewart – FCA North America

Pietro Gorlier – Parts & Service (MOPAR)

Reid Bigland – Head of US Sales

Scott Garberding – Chief Manufacturing Officer

Carl Smiley – Supply Chain Officer

Richard Schwarzwald – Global Head of Quality

Last edited:

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I'd like to know what the fix is. I thought it was the AE steering box, or the new damper, or the new track bar or any combination of the three or all three. Jeep doesn't know.
Me, too. I have the Steer Smarts track bar, Falcon 2.2 stabilizer, and new AD box. The aftermarket parts helped, but the problem is bigger than that. The AD box did nothing.

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Me, too. I have the Steer Smarts track bar, Falcon 2.2 stabilizer, and new AD box. The aftermarket parts helped, but the problem is bigger than that. The AD box did nothing.
The AE box did nothing either.

M0ondogy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So, how many people have successfully Lemon Lawed this problem?

I want them to just replace it with one off the lot that I can test drive and verify its good.

I just don't feel safe in this on the interstate.
Sponsored