Sponsored

Land Rover Defender off-road comparison video (vs Wrangler)

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I watched a fair amount of the video and it seemed the opposite. I admittedly lost interest and didn't see his conclusion. The first part started out the way you describe....but in general he raved about how good it will probably be. I'm in the camp that the Defender never was all that....at least for wheeling American trails; not overlanding.
If the defender is the way he described it in the first portion then I doubt there’s much to be desired in that vehicle.
Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
If the defender is the way he described it in the first portion then I doubt there’s much to be desired in that vehicle.
For you that's probably true, for me as well. But a HUGE payload and towing capability will have a lot of people desiring it. I wish my jeep had close to it's numbers. Breakover angles are way nicer then jeeps too. Then add a 400hp motor, ah yeah, that has appeal.

For overlanding this thing may be the deal especially where you can get a diesel.

For more off road more extreme enthusiasts, the REAL ones, it's likely this thing wont touch jeep. Independent suspension wont cut it. Even in it's promotional videos and pics show it lifting a wheel on the easiest of terrain. But this thing will see more mall crawling than even jeep. lol

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
For you that's probably true, for me as well. But a HUGE payload and towing capability will have a lot of people desiring it. I wish my jeep had close to it's numbers. Breakover angles are way nicer then jeeps too. Then add a 400hp motor, ah yeah, that has appeal.

For overlanding this thing may be the deal especially where you can get a diesel.

For more off road more extreme enthusiasts, the REAL ones, it's likely this thing wont touch jeep. Independent suspension wont cut it. Even in it's promotional videos and pics show it lifting a wheel on the easiest of terrain. But this thing will see more mall crawling than even jeep. lol
That basically what I’m eluding to. Now I am sure there will be some extreme folks doing some extreme mods as they become available just like any other platform but ultimately it’ll be for that day camper or dude who wants a wrangler but wife says no LOL Maybe, just maybe I’m biased, but don’t tell anyone.

At the end of the day though, for me, I am glad to see automakers challenge the king of the hill. Bout time.

Sponsored

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Breakover angles are way nicer then jeeps too.
The 90's shorter wheelbase gives it the superior breakover angle at 24.2 degrees versus the 110's 22 degrees.

• LT28570R17 (Standard on Rubicon)
    • Breakover Angle (degrees): 27.8 (2-door)

8188B2A4-3D7F-4B9D-A8AA-055E5AADCB23.gif

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
The 90's shorter wheelbase gives it the superior breakover angle at 24.2 degrees versus the 110's 22 degrees.

• LT28570R17 (Standard on Rubicon)
    • Breakover Angle (degrees): 27.8 (2-door)

8188B2A4-3D7F-4B9D-A8AA-055E5AADCB23.gif
Interesting. I read differently on the 110 but dont recall the exact number.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
That basically what I’m eluding to. Now I am sure there will be some extreme folks doing some extreme mods as they become available just like any other platform but ultimately it’ll be for that day camper or dude who wants a wrangler but wife says no LOL Maybe, just maybe I’m biased, but don’t tell anyone.

At the end of the day though, for me, I am glad to see automakers challenge the king of the hill. Bout time.
I dont know how you can improve Independent suspension all that much. It appears you can get this thing without air suspension which is good so you can lift it. I think a straight axle swap is probably really hard to do if not impossible given it;s unibody construction.

I think the Defender faithful got ditch in a big way. Like the video said, it's a defender in name only.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I dont know how you can improve Independent suspension all that much. It appears you can get this thing without air suspension which is good so you can lift it. I think a straight axle swap is probably really hard to do if not impossible given it;s unibody construction.

I think the Defender faithful got ditch in a big way. Like the video said, it's a defender in name only.
true true

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

Watch this:LOL:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Your second image is a portal'd SOLID axle G-wagen.

And your beginning assumptions don't bear out in the real world.
I was just doing a random image search for g wagon ifs clearance since the new g wagons do have ifs, but sure, he was just asking for a reason, I gave a reason.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I was just doing a random image search for g wagon ifs clearance since the new g wagons do have ifs, but sure, he was just asking for a reason, I gave a reason.
But like Sean said, that's not really how it works outside of their marketing scheme. Anyone who wants real-world off-road performance would do the opposite.

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
But like Sean said, that's not really how it works outside of their marketing scheme. Anyone who wants real-world off-road performance would do the opposite.
Hey man, not arguing against solid axle, hence why I'm driving a Jeep, I posted that video for shits and giggles, it's a valid response, how do you improve IS? Well, if you throw enough money at it, you can probably make it work. People do knock their pumpkins on rocks, and with the placement of drain plug on these JLs.. not having to worry about clearance is a plus in any sense.
Sponsored