usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Hey guys,

When watching guys climbing muddy or snowy hills, they usually are hitting them hard with high rpms. Are they in 4 Hi or 4 low?

Although they are only going 5 or 10 mph up the hill the the RPMs are high so I was thinking that you can’t do that in 4 lo?

Being that you have to keep the Jeep under 25mph I’m thinking that with the rpms revving you would only attempt a muddy/snowy hill in 4 hi?

Thanks!
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Who says you gotta be under 25mph?

Anyway, the answer is that it really varies based on exact conditions, driving style and personal preference. But if I need wheel speed, I want 4hi

OP
OP
usmcss

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Who says you gotta be under 25mph?

Anyway, the answer is that it really varies based on exact conditions, driving style and personal preference. But if I need wheel speed, I want 4hi
Thanks for the reply! The manual for the JL says for 4 lo you need to be under 25 or 30mph.

So for a muddy hill with no traction in 4 lo you are going to use 4 hi? Or are you going to keep it in lo?

Sponsored

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
4hi in snow is pretty much all one would ever need and its pretty mountainous up here.

Last edited:

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
4HI.

I did a lot of testing in my old pickup truck in the sand dunes. Even with only a 4 speed auto, I could not find a high-wheel-speed-climbing-scenario where 4LOW worked better. If you want wheel speed, HI usually has you well covered.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,

When watching guys climbing muddy or snowy hills, they usually are hitting them hard with high rpms. Are they in 4 Hi or 4 low?

Although they are only going 5 or 10 mph up the hill the the RPMs are high so I was thinking that you can’t do that in 4 lo?

Being that you have to keep the Jeep under 25mph I’m thinking that with the rpms revving you would only attempt a muddy/snowy hill in 4 hi?

Thanks!
Sean brought up a good point with his old adage, I personally never use 4L unless I need it. I use 4h for running through mud at speed, or climbing in mud. For mud I usually put it in 4h and engage rear lockers, only engage front if needed. I like not having bld slowing me down.......:)

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Sean brought up a good point with his old adage, I personally never use 4L unless I need it. I use 4h for running through mud at speed, or climbing in mud. For mud I usually put it in 4h and engage rear lockers, only engage front if needed. I like not having bld slowing me down.......:)
Unfortunately, Rubicon lockers can only be used in 4 low

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, Rubicon lockers can only be used in 4 low
I have mine wired with Mopar harnesses to my aux switches 3&4, you can also use tazer though it’s not as instantaneous, this enables me to use them whenever I want......;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
usmcss

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Hey guys, thanks a lot!!! This is the info I was looking for!!!

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I have actually NEVER used 4lo in my TJ, JKU or JL. But no need for it on snow, mud, gravel and forest roads.

OP
OP
usmcss

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
I have mine wired with Mopar harnesses to my aux switches 3&4, you can also use tazer though it’s not as instantaneous, this enables me to use them whenever I want......;)
I have the Tazer. The guys who installed my lift and tires also installed the tazer. I haven’t even looked into how to use it. You can lock in 4 hi with it? Thanks!

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
Hey guys,

Thanks!
Just a thought, not a recommendation. If they were indeed in 4LO and hitting it "hard", they probably were running with a high RPM. It takes a lot of rpms to move very quickly in 4lo
Sponsored