Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2000 TJ, 2001 XJ
So do you still have any dead spot or play in the steering wheel? It seems to me all those changes can help the tracking/wandering of the car but if you have and steering gearbox play I don't see how those things would eliminate that.
Fortunately my gearbox play is small when compared to many others; about 1-1.5". The wandering issues I corrected don't eliminate the play but render it less noticeable because I'm not having to make constant course corrections. It was insane, especially when it was windy. Now I'm only dealing with one, versus two problem areas.

Yes, the play is still there for sure, but as I stated before it's a crapshoot getting a good replacement gearbox as I could wind up with one that is worse. I believe the Chinese gearboxes are inconsistent in their tolerances, hence the variation in steering dead zones on many JL's.
Sponsored

TopsOff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' JLU Sport S
Where did you order the LCAs from?
Haven't yet but if you google that PN you'll see them at a variety of MOPAR retailers in the $30-$40 each price point. She's only been in my driveway 6 days. The packages are just starting to arrive.......

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Haven't yet but if you google that PN you'll see them at a variety of MOPAR retailers in the $30-$40 each price point. She's only been in my driveway 6 days. The packages are just starting to arrive.......
I ordered mine from @AllMoparParts.com last year for about the same price. They had a free shipping code if you spent over $50. I didn’t have any issues getting the parts - they will ask you if it’s what you want if the mopar lift kit isn’t on your VIN but shouldn’t be a problem to get them.

9SecVmax

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Jeep
I'm trying to file a complaint with NHTSA. Site keeps throwing errors when submitting complaint. FCA JeepCares closed my case without any notice to me. NobodyCares should be their name...

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
I'm trying to file a complaint with NHTSA. Site keeps throwing errors when submitting complaint. FCA JeepCares closed my case without any notice to me. NobodyCares should be their name...

Unless there is a problem with their system it should work fine, I had no problems.
Perhaps you are missing info in one of the categories, I had to try twice since I had missed filling in a box.

Re. Jeep cares, I think they try the best they can to intervene, but they have no authority to do or commit to anything. They are strictly functioning as a middle person to try to get customers and dealers back in communication. They helped me where they could. Have them escalate your case to a technical advisor.

Re. Case being closed. In the early stages of my ongoing battle with FCA i was told that after a vehicle is serviced and picked up, FCA closes the case, assuming all was corrected.
You can contact them via phone or email and have them leave the file open pending your review of the repairs. I had no problem keeping my case open and they were glad to keep
the number open
If you have gone thru every avenue with the tech services and had the regional tech evaluate your service issue and they determine there is no ground for future service they will slam the door shut on your case. That becomes the final decision.

Last edited:

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You are WAY off base with that comment. What we are trying to do is prevent accidents.
I think HoundDude is just being a little sarcastic on a Saturday morning. At least that’s
how I read it.

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
I think HoundDude is just being a little sarcastic on a Saturday morning. At least that’s
how I read it.
yeah, I'm one of you guys, I was just being sarcastic... the rack and pinion gear is apparently bad enough to force a recall of almost 6000 Cherokees. I get it with a steering box setup but how does FCA screw up a rack and pinion system too?

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
yeah, I'm one of you guys, I was just being sarcastic... the rack and pinion gear is apparently bad enough to force a recall of almost 6000 Cherokees. I get it with a steering box setup but how does FCA screw up a rack and pinion system too?
Funny, for the last week my loaner was a 2019 Cherokee, loved the steering.....compared to my Sahara. Doesn’t mean it won’t fall apart, but sure was responsive and tracked nicely.

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
The latest in the steering saga...

I picked up my Jeep Thursday afternoon and was disappointed and upset to see that the replacement box was an AD :angry: and not the latest AE. I was told that’s what they could get. I had asked about a PCM re-flash and was told that the steering box doesn’t have anything to do with the computer. The techs have been working with the FCA engineers this time.

The SA said that the tech reported that it was “better” and asked me to take it for a test drive, which I did on surface streets. Unfortunately, the same amount of play was present. It did feel more firm, but later I crawled under the Jeep and saw that the tech had changed the damper setting to medium instead of soft (where I set it for the techs since it’s supposed to be like the stock stabilizer). So of course it’s going to feel different.

I took my Jeep home since it was drivable and damn, I missed the top down-doors off!

The SA said he’d check with the engineers again and ask about an AE box. I also contacted my Jeep Cares rep, who has been helpful.

I had a Sport Unlimited for my loaner and it drove much better. It’s really interesting that it did because it had a little play in the wheel at times, but still drove better and didn’t require the corrections and felt better on off ramps. Is that a 2-door v 4–door thing? My JLR is stock other than the track bar and steering stabilizer.

Honestly, after driving it to work Friday, I’m so discouraged.

Tlebkcalb

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ JLU DIESEL
290 total miles on my JLU. Called local dealer (Arrigo in South FL) where I purchased it from to get the steering damper recall done.
Also brought to their attention the steering issue, and the fact that the car almost stalled when maneuvering the car (parking).
Same day I got a phone call from Tony (service advisor) that they were replacing the steering rack. Picked up the car last night with new software, steering rack and damper.
steering wheel feels heavier, and play reduced, the new software updated reduced the rpm issue, but is not even close on smoothness to our GC Overland.
I wonder who write the software for these things...

I have to say that I’m extremely satisfied with their prompt attention in trying to resolve the issue.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
290 total miles on my JLU. Called local dealer (Arrigo in South FL) where I purchased it from to get the steering damper recall done.
Also brought to their attention the steering issue, and the fact that the car almost stalled when maneuvering the car (parking).
Same day I got a phone call from Tony (service advisor) that they were replacing the steering rack. Picked up the car last night with new software, steering rack and damper.
steering wheel feels heavier, and play reduced, the new software updated reduced the rpm issue, but is not even close on smoothness to our GC Overland.
I wonder who write the software for these things...

I have to say that I’m extremely satisfied with their prompt attention in trying to resolve the issue.
The Jeeps will never drive like a Grand Cherokee due to the Jeep’s solid axles—a whole different beast.

I would be thrilled if it drove like our JK.