Sponsored

What are the best "doors off" mirrors you can buy?

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Shrink tube that goes on the pins. Heat with hair dryer. Jpeggz has it listed on there site and shipped it to me separate as it wasn't in the packaging.

IMG_2593.JPG
I bought the jpeggz back in April. It's not heat shrink that comes on them but small rubber pieces that are a little thicker than heat shrink you use on electrical connectiond.
Sponsored

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
I gave up on finding easy to use but good quality side mirrors that are also easily removable and don't cause damage for my TJ. Now I just run without the side mirrors as Colorado does not require them, and I do not miss them at all. Maybe that changes if you leave the hard top on while your doors are off, but I never run that way. I honestly see buying side mirrors as a waste of money if your state does not require them, your center mirror and turning your head is adequate and safe. On top of that in most states which require side mirrors I suspect that convex mirrors would not be legal on the street either. Although it may just be enough to keep the police from hassling you.

For OP: Florida Statutes Title XXIII Chapter 316 Code 294 only one mirror is necessary, your rear view mirror is enough.

Those from CT, PA, TX, OH, MO, IL do not need side mirrors as long as the view from your center mirror is not obstructed.

NY, CA, MD, MI, VA, NC, WA, all require at least a left side mirror.

MA has a very vague law "clear view to the rear and left" which is open to interpretation so unless you like fighting such things it's probably best to get a mirror.

I only looked up the laws for those responding to this thread, so states not listed I just didn't bother trying to find out. If you can't find your own state's law ping me and I'll look it up for you.
Just to follow this subject up for Idaho residents who might visit this thread >>

https://legislature.idaho.gov/statutesrules/idstat/title49/t49ch9/sect49-940/

"49-940. MIRRORS. (1) Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the operator a view of the highway for a distance of at least two hundred (200) feet to the rear of the vehicle."

Scott_S

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Those from CT, PA, TX, OH, MO, IL do not need side mirrors as long as the view from your center mirror is not obstructed.
Georgia is the same way -- only one mirror is required, and the center mirror counts. However, I want the side mirrors for my own benefit while driving, since I actually use the mirrors to check for vehicles, obstacles, etc. while I'm driving. Also because I don't want to have to worry about whether I'm going to cross a state line if I happen to be near one.

I ended up buying the Lange Coyote mirrors. I can't compare them to any of the others since these are the only ones I've used, but after a week or so with the doors off. the mirrors are solid. No movement, even at highway speeds. I'd actually prefer something a bit more like the factory mirrors -- larger and less curved, but I'm getting used to these. They're fine.

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the jpeggz back in April. It's not heat shrink that comes on them but small rubber pieces that are a little thicker than heat shrink you use on electrical connectiond.
Hmmm I ordered mine in May and thoes are the heat shrinks they sent me because the pegs were bare, other than paint. Mike the owner answered my enquiring email at 10:30 PM EST on a Sunday that some people didn't like the rubber shields so they package heat shrink now.

Sponsored

Heathsrow

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I ordered one mirror and all the hardware required for mounting (the ball, and a 3" extension) directly from Doubletake. The total cost was $48 for a single mirror, and it works perfectly! No vibration, easy to install and adjust, and the convex mirror gives me a good field of view. I will be ordering a second mirror for the passenger side. Thanks for the recommendation, Moto_21!
tumblr_ps3i46KXYG1tkp167o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ps3i46KXYG1tkp167o3_1280.jpg
@Varilux What Ram ball did you order?

Last edited:

Shub_32

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Runicon
I ordered this setup but it’s kinda pita for adjusting and seeing. If your by yourself , be prepared to get out of the Jeep 10xs to adjust. Other than that, the ease of install is awesome. I ended up ordering the Lange Coyote mirrors. Hopefully the are more useful.

E5D24D93-DB5E-46F5-8DDA-C08CDF45B68A.jpeg

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
What Ram ball did you order?
I ordered directly from doubletakemirror (dotcom), and ordered the following:
Product Qty Price (USD)
Enduro Mirror 1.00 25.00
Long RAM Arm 3in/76mm 1.00 13.00
8mm Tough Adapter with Ball Stud Base 1.00 10.00
Subtotal: 48.00

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I went to the CMM website and saw they’re still on sale so I’m hoping to have a set on my JLU Sport S when I’m driving with the doors off which hopefully will be most of the time while I’m still stationed over here in Hawaii. Will update with photos.

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
I went to the CMM website and saw they’re still on sale so I’m hoping to have a set on my JLU Sport S when I’m driving with the doors off which hopefully will be most of the time while I’m still stationed over here in Hawaii. Will update with photos.
They fiddle with their pricing. When I bought mine, they were on sale, and for less. I've checked back and it seems to move up & down. I have yet to see it be at their claimed "retail" pricing.

https://www.carolinametalmasters.co...mm-jl-side-mirrors-with-1-ball-mount-solution

The CMM's are legitimately the best you can buy. Not the cheapest, but by and large THE BEST.

Build quality is EXCELLENT. These are fully machined. They do not vibrate or move, even at 70mph on the freeway.

If you reverse drive/passenger you can mount them on the lower portion instead of the upper portion. They also tend to blend away. They are barely noticeable, unlike all the other ugly things I have seen posted in these threads.

2019-07-09 11.22.29.jpg

2019-07-09 10.13.14.jpg

Sponsored

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
They fiddle with their pricing. When I bought mine, they were on sale, and for less. I've checked back and it seems to move up & down. I have yet to see it be at their claimed "retail" pricing.

https://www.carolinametalmasters.co...mm-jl-side-mirrors-with-1-ball-mount-solution

The CMM's are legitimately the best you can buy. Not the cheapest, but by and large THE BEST.

Build quality is EXCELLENT. These are fully machined. They do not vibrate or move, even at 70mph on the freeway.

If you reverse drive/passenger you can mount them on the lower portion instead of the upper portion. They also tend to blend away. They are barely noticeable, unlike all the other ugly things I have seen posted in these threads.

2019-07-09 11.22.29.jpg

2019-07-09 10.13.14.jpg
I mounted mine in the low position, but I've been rethinking that. That position moves the mirrors in enough that they obstruct the view straight back. I definitely like how they look low and it is in the usual spot I look to see the mirrors, but the rear view is making me rethink it...

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I mounted mine in the low position, but I've been rethinking that. That position moves the mirrors in enough that they obstruct the view straight back. I definitely like how they look low and it is in the usual spot I look to see the mirrors, but the rear view is making me rethink it...
I have mine in the low position and think they’re perfect there. Great that there’re options, though!

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
I never tried the high position. And never noticed there was a problem with straight back view, but you have me curious. I was sitting in the Jeep and realized the angle might be different. So I might have to just try it, so see for myself what the difference is.

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Some nice mirrors here but GODAM on the price!!! I ordered a cheap set of round winshield hinge mount mirrors from amazon. Loved the driver side and drove around with one door off for a coupe of days. Took the second door off and the passenger side mirror stripped AND welds broke during install. Garbage. Ended up with this set from Amazon.... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GXCCK6X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .....and am happy. I also put on little convex blind spot mirrors, which is what I rely on 95% of the time on ALL of my vehicles for over a decade. The mirrors dont make wind noice but do shake a bit on the highway. Doesnt effect the convex mirrors (the 3m tape must act like a shock absorber) and I have made zero attempt to address the vibration, no need.

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR

2019-07-09 11.22.29.jpg

2019-07-09 10.13.14.jpg
Couldnt help but notice is that a jftops cargo tonneau cover?
Sponsored