First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
So I touched base with every local dealer regarding going under invoice and they all tapped out. Wondering if anyone else has gone though so many?

Everyone started with yeah we can work with you but when I said okay let’s go and here’s what I want for this amount (8%) the answer was always we might be able to do close to invoice for 2019 but not on orders or 2020. Those will be closer to MSRP.

What more shocking is they are moving units so people here are paying it.
Sponsored

The Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Viper, TJ, JLUR
My local dealers knew nothing about jeeps in general or JLs. They told me so much incorrect info on the JL that I couldn't trust anything they said. I asked one dealer if I could see the differences between the turbo 4 and the v6. He popped the hood of both and asked which I would rather have. Ridiculous. When I asked to drive them back to back they wanted to know if I did if I would buy one and then said that they could not find the keys. They all got pushy and wanted over MSRP and acted like that was a favor. I ordered my loaded JLUR from out of state and saved a ton. I purchased my first exotic car at 23 in jeans with holes all over them and the dealer invited me in, answered my questions and treated me like a human. I don't know what has gotten into these jeep dealers heads. Their loss.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My I purchased my first exotic car at 23 in jeans with holes all over them and the dealer invited me in, answered my questions and treated me like a human. I don't know what has gotten into these jeep dealers heads. Their loss.
Common car dealers vs nice car dealers, I think. A couple of years ago I pondered buying a Porsche Cayman and the dealer I contacted was super nice and really wanted me to come by and try a car out, no strings attached. From what I've heard most luxury car dealers (but not all) are super nice and will let you test drive whatever.

On the other hand, Chevy dealers are incredibly stingy about test drives, and Subaru dealers are incredibly stingy about WRX STI test drives. I wonder how hard it is to test drive a hellcat, lol.

Ultimately, ordering is best, but yeah.

The dealer I bought my JK from sold it to me at invoice/FWP and was willing to do 1% under if I had tread lightly (which I didn't lol). This time around they were baaaaarely willing to do that with the JL, so I shopped around until someone on here suggested a dealer that does 5% and is only a couple hours away. Hehe. Unfortunately, it's pretty common.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
The fact is 99.9% of dealerships can't and won't touch 8% below invoice. Once they hear this expectation, and know it is not possible, there is no reason for them to waste their time or yours.

There are maybe 1-2 high volume dealerships that do this deal flat out in the entire country. You have to find out what types of deals are available in your area. If you don't like what your offered, the options are to travel or not buy a jeep.

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
Same. I got local dealer to 4% under invoice on one of their in-stock jeeps but then they wanted $1200 for their dealer fee, which pushed them back to about 2% under in comparison. I offered them $1000 more (since the flight, pickup, drive IS a hassle) than what the big volume dealers in MD/VA wanted and they said no way.

I ordered from Koons. I bought my Ram from them a year ago and even if you add up the time I spent in the airport, flying, uber, and at the dealership picking up the truck - was still HOURS less than I spent at a local dealer when I bought my previous Ram.

I am happy to do my part to speed up the demise of the "old" business model of screwing the customer.

Sponsored

Rouge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sting-Gray
The fact is 99.9% of dealerships can't and won't touch 8% below invoice. Once they hear this expectation, and know it is not possible, there is no reason for them to waste their time or yours.

There are maybe 1-2 high volume dealerships that do this deal flat out in the entire country. You have to find out what types of deals are available in your area. If you don't like what your offered, the options are to travel or not buy a jeep.
Totally agree. I don't take it personal, it's just business. Which is why I may be flying into Washington-Reagan airport soon to visit the folks at Criswell. Then enjoy a scenic ride back home in a new Wrangler that I purchased at 8% under invoice. I plan to enjoy the journey-buying and driving.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
No dealer within like 300 miles of me would touch 8% under invoice. Fitzpatrick told me they would no longer honor 7% under invoice and the best they could do was 4% under invoice on a new order. Like the OP, I found most dealers were willing to give me $2-3K off MSRP max. I finally found one dealer who offered me $5500 off MSRP on a 19 on the lot so I jumped on it.

Nothing wrong with trying for 8% under invoice but I am guessing there are very few dealers in the country willing to do that. Also keep in mind that some states lemon laws only apply to the state where the vehicle was purchased. Do your research on that one especially with FCA's reputation.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I would never ask a sales guy to go under invoice unless its one of the ones on here that regularly does so. My reasoning is that, in my experience, most sales guys don't know what invoice is and as soon as they hear that they are going to freak and think you're asking them to take a loss, and they don't want to take that to their manager. Basically, I think asking for a percent under invoice is not going to get you the reaction you think at most dealers.

Instead, what I always do, is figure out what I want to pay. For my JLUR, I used percentage under invoice, then trade, taxes, and dealer fee. Then I asked my sales guy what the out the door price was, and he was able to be very close, so I order from him. I also contacted 2 other dealers, 1 across the sate that was much lower in the price, but had a higher dealer fee so the OTD wasn't much different, and another one out of state that did a bit better but it wasn't worth driving up for plus losing the lemon law coverage.

The bottom line is, if you want to get the best deal, figure out what YOU want and then know what YOU are willing to pay. The conversation should go like this: Hi, I see you have a JLUR on the lot that I'd like, I have a 2011 SS camaro with 70K miles, a 5K payoff, and if you can get me out the door for $40K, I'll buy it right now". Or, if ordering, give them the options you want, and if they can meet your price you'll order right now.

OP
OP
DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Wow. Had no idea this thread would devolve into a troll den. Lol.

I have one more dealer to check though they don’t work with PenFed so even if they match 8% under my rate would be 2.5. Criswell I can get a rate of 1.5.

We shall see.

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
I would never ask a sales guy to go under invoice unless its one of the ones on here that regularly does so. My reasoning is that, in my experience, most sales guys don't know what invoice is and as soon as they hear that they are going to freak and think you're asking them to take a loss, and they don't want to take that to their manager. Basically, I think asking for a percent under invoice is not going to get you the reaction you think at most dealers.

Instead, what I always do, is figure out what I want to pay. For my JLUR, I used percentage under invoice, then trade, taxes, and dealer fee. Then I asked my sales guy what the out the door price was, and he was able to be very close, so I order from him. I also contacted 2 other dealers, 1 across the sate that was much lower in the price, but had a higher dealer fee so the OTD wasn't much different, and another one out of state that did a bit better but it wasn't worth driving up for plus losing the lemon law coverage.

The bottom line is, if you want to get the best deal, figure out what YOU want and then know what YOU are willing to pay. The conversation should go like this: Hi, I see you have a JLUR on the lot that I'd like, I have a 2011 SS camaro with 70K miles, a 5K payoff, and if you can get me out the door for $40K, I'll buy it right now". Or, if ordering, give them the options you want, and if they can meet your price you'll order right now.
This is close to my preferred method. I have done it once to buy a Pacifica minivan last year and plan to always use the same method in the future.

I build out exactly what I am looking for, then send identical e-mails to all dealers in the area asking for their "out the door price" for that exact match (or with option/color/trim, etc. wiggle room if I have it).

I tell them in the e-mail that I will follow-up with the best offers I receive and look to purchase in the next XX days.

I don't care what percentage you call it, MSRP or invoice, dealer fees, whatever. I just want to know my final and true cost and I want to compare apples to apples.

I then bring up any trade-in after the "out the door price" is determined and keep the trade optional as I may just keep or sell private party unless they can make me a good offer.

Honestly about half of the dealers I reached out to did not play ball but a good handful did and I felt good that my final price we paid was fair.

Sponsored

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
I just ordered a pacifica for my wife yesterday :)
My wife absolutely loves her's and I can not argue with the practicality.

She got exactly what she wanted, which is why I am now shopping for exactly what I want, to get back into a Jeep Wrangler :like:

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Car selling has become very regional by me. Most dealers in NJ wouldn’t entertain and real discount on a outright purchase. Lease/finance would be another story. With the 20’s finally hit the lots,and predictions of a harsh winter most dealers are going to be real hard asses.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i had one dealership told me that there is NOT one dealer in the us that will offer 8+% of the price. there's no way in hell that will ever happen and you'll never get it. then the dealer said you can go to any dealer any you WILL pay above msrp for the jl you want. i' told them you should look around because there are dealer that will sell the jl a hellva lot cheaper then you price. i walked out of that dealer and didn't look back.
Sponsored