Sponsored

Photographers: Any Tips for Gear Storage?

ecentric

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0 Ocean Blue
My practice has always been to try to keep everything in my pack, and try to keep my pack on my person, but that's not always practical.

I'm getting a '20 JLR, and I'd like to avoid having to file an insurance claim on my gear like I had to after that one time I stopped for the night in Niagara with my old TJ.

Any tips or accessories that you've found to work?
Sponsored

OP
OP
ecentric

ecentric

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0 Ocean Blue
Forgot to mention that I have a wife and a dog, so things like the big Tuffy drawer isn't going to be an option.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Are you considering a hardtop? I just picked up a 2 door JLR and I feel pretty confident storing gear in it when the roof and doors are on. My dealer pre-installed an adjustable sensitivity shock sensor as an added bit to the alarm system and if the Jeep is touched or bumped just enough it'll go off. There's certainly more you can do in that realm, including motion sensors and those "secure bubble" systems, but I'm not sure how far down the aftermarket electronics rabbit hole I'd be willing to go.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
With the rear seat out, doggy could have a big crate pad on top of one of those Tuffy drawers. Depending on how much volume you need, they also have that 6" deep locking tailgate box for the JL. That could work for camera gear with creative use of foam. Longer things like tripods could be concealed between the roll bar and the top (maybe only true for the soft top, not sure how much room there is under the hard top).

DaK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392 XR
Consider the JLUR, as you can tell much more storage space. One of your passengers (driver's choice) can go in the rear seat, gear in the back. Don't know how much gear your haulin but it will fit better in the back of the JLU than it will in the back of the JL. Also, more storage box options for the JL than the JK.

We owned a JK, after the kid bailed, we took out the back seat and sold it. We did this because, IMO, there is little to no storage back there just for our off road stuff, let alone offroad stuff and passenger. In the unlimited, at least to me, it appears there is more storage in the wayback when compared to the 2dr without the seat. Plus the ride is much plusher. Not only that, ARB makes a killer storage solution for the JLU where you can put some drawers in, a raised deck and a passenger (driver's choice).

https://www.arbusa.com/storage-solutions/

Sponsored

DaK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392 XR
Reconsider a JLUR. Much more storage space and room for passengers. We had a JK and even taking out the back seat the JLU has more storage in the "trunk" area alone. Also the ride is much better in the JLU than the JL due to the longer wheel base.

ARB has solutions, and they are very proud of their solutions, where you can place storage drawers in the back of the JLU with a raised deck so you can put one of your passengers back there or in the rear seat. Driver's choice on which passenger goes where. ARB is just one manufacturer of these types of storage solutions. One thing these designers have in common is that they are only for the unlimited as the JL just does not have the room for these things.

https://www.arbusa.com/jeep-wrangler-jl-2018-on/storage-solutions/

FPrice

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon 4D
My 300mm 2.8, 24/70 2.8, 17/40 in a soft case, G4Free Tactical Sling Bag Chest... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OUFM69O?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share , will fit under the back seat of my JLUR. I put a cable and padlock on it. The camera body and 1 lens comes with me. Most of the time your being watched to see what you left in the Jeep. So plan ahead and don’t touch the hidden equipment while your parked and not taking it with you.

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
Reconsider a JLUR. Much more storage space and room for passengers. We had a JK and even taking out the back seat the JLU has more storage in the "trunk" area alone. Also the ride is much better in the JLU than the JL due to the longer wheel base.

ARB has solutions, and they are very proud of their solutions, where you can place storage drawers in the back of the JLU with a raised deck so you can put one of your passengers back there or in the rear seat. Driver's choice on which passenger goes where. ARB is just one manufacturer of these types of storage solutions. One thing these designers have in common is that they are only for the unlimited as the JL just does not have the room for these things.

https://www.arbusa.com/jeep-wrangler-jl-2018-on/storage-solutions/
Wow their stuff looks really nice :like:

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Hmmm, I generally keep my gear in the back. ELB400 bag, plus my backpack. Truth be told, I'm thinking of moving back to a sling bag for most of my day to day gear. I suspect it would fit under a back seat.

Sponsored

DaK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392 XR
Wow their stuff looks really nice :like:
Tuffy makes one as well. Not as nice with all the carpet and stuff but, ya can put a pad on it for the passenger if need be. Surf around B&H, camera shop I'm sure you are familiar with, sells something too. Don't know if that one will fit, have to call them. Either way, let us know what you chose and post up some pics.

OP
OP
ecentric

ecentric

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0 Ocean Blue
I have my heart set on the 2 door, unfortunately. I know the U would make my life easier in a lot of ways, but we've got other options for more passengers and easier hauling, and I have to contend with tight parking lots (7 foot wide spots, narrow lanes) and city street parking every day right now.

I'm going for dual top, so the point about feeling better with the hard top is fair, but that's only about half the year.

I do like the look of the options from ARB and Diabolical, but the fact is that it's not going to be safe to prop my 85 lb. bully on top of one of those decks while we're in motion. The dummy refuses to lay down while underway now, and he'd definitely end up clunking on (or out of) something with no tub to hold him in, and it'd be a challenge to get him in in the first place.

It's looking like my options are to either stick with muleing my own gear, or come up with something custom. At very least it'll encourage me to keep my pack light I guess.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Cute dog!

I have a JLR, too, and a 65 pound doodle. I have the Tuffy tailgate box that helps secure items—laptop, etc. It could hold some camera gear, but not a tripod or a large bag.

Pic of my dog in the back with with lockbox:
IMG_6813-X3.jpg

Lock box installed:
IMG_6195-X3.jpg

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Here's what I'm going to try for when my Jeep BackBone is not installed. I bought a large tool box ($25) that's just the right size to fit this camera back pack. The back pack is about as big as you can go and still fit under an airline seat. I will figure out where I want the tool box positioned, then drill a hole in the bottom of the tool box for one of the cargo area attachment loops to stick up through. Then I can run a carabiner through the loop from the inside of the tool box, securing the tool box to the cargo area. Then lock the tool box lid with a pad lock when needed.

lockbox 1.jpg

lockbox 2.jpg
Sponsored