CahillUSM

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Altitude
Hey all,

I am brand new to the Jeep community with a 2020 JLU S Altitude. I am wanting to build it out for overlanding eventually. As the title says I am thinking of doing a Rock Krawler 2.5" flex lift and instead of the RRD Shocks, getting Rancho RS9000XL shocks. I like the Rock Krawler because from what I can tell it is the most complete kit that corrects for geometry while still being affordable. I like the Rancho shocks because from what I've read they ride really well both on and off road, are progressive shocks, and are adjustable. I originally thought about the AEV lift but read that it was super stiff unless you are loaded down. My main concern is that the Rancho shocks are 2" shocks while the lift is 2.5". Is that going to a problem? am I going about this the right way? Thanks for your help!

TL:DR Is the Rock Krawler 2.5" flex lift with the Rancho RS9000XL shocks a good combo?
Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
My wife’s last JKUR had Rock Krawler springs and Rancho 9000Xl’s. It rode great. You can get longer 9000’s. I would do the ones for the 3.5” lift. Good luck.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I agree about going with the 3.5 shock. A little extra length won't hurt with overlanding. During full drop of rock crawling you may damage your drive shaft. Not a concern for your purposes

OP
OP
CahillUSM

CahillUSM

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Altitude
I agree about going with the 3.5 shock. A little extra length won't hurt with overlanding. During full drop of rock crawling you may damage your drive shaft. Not a concern for your purposes
Can you explain that a little more? How the longer shocks could damage the drive shaft? thanks!

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Can you explain that a little more? How the longer shocks could damage the drive shaft? thanks!
You only have limited amount of flex in the driveshaft joints. Since the shocks limits the down travel, too much travel will exceed the maximum angle the driveshaft can withstand

Sponsored

Rubicrush

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Rubicon
I just installed the 2.5" RK Flex kit, but I am running the RK RRD shocks. The ride is better than stock (I was surprised actually). If you'd like to use the rancho 9000's, I believe the travel on my shocks are front 11" and rear 12". The 3.5" Rancho lift shocks would probably be your best bet.

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the 2.5" RK Flex kit, but I am running the RK RRD shocks. The ride is better than stock (I was surprised actually). If you'd like to use the rancho 9000's, I believe the travel on my shocks are front 11" and rear 12". The 3.5" Rancho lift shocks would probably be your best bet.
Are you saying you think the Rancho shocks would be a better option than the RK RRD ones? Curious because I'm looking hard at that kit as well.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Are you saying you think the Rancho shocks would be a better option than the RK RRD ones? Curious because I'm looking hard at that kit as well.
I believe he is saying that if someone chooses Rancho shocks go with the longer ones as the 2 inch shocks will be short.

Reactions: apb

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I believe he is saying that if someone chooses Rancho shocks go with the longer ones as the 2 inch shocks will be short.
That makes sense, thanks. I'm curious how the RK RRD shocks compare to other aftermarket ones. You have any experience/input in that realm? Sorry, this may need another thread, don't want to hijack this one.

Rubicrush

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Rubicon
That makes sense, thanks. I'm curious how the RK RRD shocks compare to other aftermarket ones. You have any experience/input in that realm? Sorry, this may need another thread, don't want to hijack this one.
I don't have any experience with other suspension other than the stock rubicon. I am happy that I went with the RRD shocks though. I've heard good things about the Rancho 9000's and Fox 2.0's. I figured RK did a lot of testing with the right length shocks for their kits and that's the reason I went with them.

Sponsored

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have any experience with other suspension other than the stock rubicon. I am happy that I went with the RRD shocks though. I've heard good things about the Rancho 9000's and Fox 2.0's. I figured RK did a lot of testing with the right length shocks for their kits and that's the reason I went with them.
That was my hope too, that they would work really well with their own kit. Probably going to go that route as well, haven't seen anything particularly negative about them. Thanks for the feedback.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
That was my hope too, that they would work really well with their own kit. Probably going to go that route as well, haven't seen anything particularly negative about them. Thanks for the feedback.
I have the 3.5" x-factor with the RRD 2.25 shocks. They perform really well and no signs of wear after 9 months and some pretty hard wheeling.

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 3.5" x-factor with the RRD 2.25 shocks. They perform really well and no signs of wear after 9 months and some pretty hard wheeling.
Awesome, thank you for the real world feedback. :like:

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
That's what I run but with Rusty off road springs, and the rk adventure arms. Works well for me. Might upgrade the rear springs to their 3.75 size but that's it.

OP
OP
CahillUSM

CahillUSM

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Altitude
hey thanks for all the replies guys! lots of food for thought. I think I am going to go with the longer Rancho shocks. I'll be sure to post as the build comes together!
Sponsored