RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I thought It was a cool idea and convenient for down here when it can start raining in a matter of 5 minutes .....Jury still out with all the bugs that are being worked out

Also wish they were interchangeable so If I did want to go with that top I wouldnt have to buy another Jeep
Oh...no Dan....no bugs or insects can get inside, just water.....;)
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Oh...no Dan....no bugs or insects can get inside, just water.....;)
The power top is removable for another top..it's just a dealer 4+ hands job....

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
The power top is removable for another top..it's just a dealer 4+ hands job....
Yes I hear its virtually impossible to put back on !

Im hearing now - Late 2018 before released !!! Big Bugs !

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
(Told in children's verse)

One day a man went to the supermarket to buy peanut butter and jelly and bread.

He brought the three items to the register marked "FCA" and sought to make his purchase.

All of sudden the register clerk said, "I'm sorry sir. Our system says you are not allowed to buy bread at the same time you buy peanut butter and jelly."

I'm afraid you'll have to buy the bread another day, and pay more than your dealers willing price of 5% off of invoice.

The customer (me) was rightfully mad.

"Don't you realize this is an ordering software glitch? Some programmer was suppose to make it, perhaps ONLY permissible to buy bread IF you get peanut butter and jelly too, not make the spread and the bread mutually exclusive!"

===========

Look at the most recent ordering guide. Find the Soft Top Window Storage Bag (CWJ). It says you must have a soft top to order this--that soft top could be basic, premium, tan premium, part of a Dual top group---but one way or another you need to be ordering a soft top.

It makes sense. After all, I really don't know how you'll fit a hard top into the storage bag....well maybe the detachable windows on the power top...but I digress.

But ask a dealer to go to order you a CWJ and a soft top and expect that to be impossible. FCA software bug, not dealer issue.

FCA's solution, buy the CWJ at full price after sale. Fortunately MSRP is under $100 so we're not talking a major money difference....

My retort---"compensate me so I can buy it at its $67 invoice minus 5%, by reimbursing the dealer,
who couldn't order it because your system is broken. Better, give it to me for free for pointing out the bugs in your software."

FCA: "Check back frequently. Order options change." Codespeak for, "yea, we'll eventually fix this bug."

I get it: software bugs happen. But don't punish customers for them.

LouNYC

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
After seeing this, I might saving about $700 just going with the color match hard top. I was thinking this option would be easy for spring and fall weather. When you get those occasional warm days in the northeast. I am not in love with the look. I will have to wait and see it in person.

Sponsored

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
As an engineer here’s my thought, they should have spent more time with the design of the “complete package” representation.
Problem: looks weird with rear window still being there.
Solution: design configuration specific rear tailgate that opens and holds the rear window such as Lexus GX, with that make rear window slide into the tailgate.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
As an engineer here’s my thought, they should have spent more time with the design of the “complete package” representation.
Solution: design configuration specific rear tailgate that opens and holds the rear window such as Lexus GX, with that make rear window slide into the tailgate.
Jeep did patent a double hinge system a couple of years ago that had the back glass flip all the way up and latch in a flat position on the roof. Seems like that would work fine here.

JeepN3RD

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ2a, 2019 JLU Sport S
I have to admit, I am one of "those" guys! Wife is 100% sold on the Rubicon with power top and my last 3 or 4 Wranglers the top goes down in April/May and not back up usually until October. I have the luxury of parking inside and leaving it at home on truly nasty rainy days and driving something else.

My plan is to do the exact same thing with this, spring, remove all carpet, install neoprene seat covers for the summer, doors off, panels out and DONE for the next 6 months. Nice part is here I can hit a button for the sudden shower that comes up (I would put up the soft top on YJs and TJs but no sides or rear) and my experience has been that I really don't get that wet. (Acts like a Safari top)

I continue to think it is really weird that the rear hatch does not go up, I will just have to drive it and see what effect that truly has. Try it a few ways, hatch down, maybe hatch up (though they probably say not to) and maybe even how much of a PITA to remove the hatch for the summer.

So I am the guy they were targeting I guess! :) Wife hates the doors off, but, she has the Mustang convertible and I can throw the doors on the few days she want to ride with me.

If any of you vendor types are reading this, the "full door" mounts for the garage is an accessory I am interested in! I have it for my TJ doors so I can pop them off and hang on the wall out of my way, will want the same here!!

I guess this makes me one of those old (47) guys with too much money, awesome!! :)

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
Jeep did patent a double hinge system a couple of years ago that had the back glass flip all the way up and latch in a flat position on the roof. Seems like that would work fine here.
Oh ya, I do remember that.

Sponsored

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I am interested in how the rear window affects the wind inside the JL.
I installed a wind screen on my wife's two seater sports car and it truly improved the interior wind movement.
It is just a guess, but I think this might act like a sports car's windscreen, which would be a good thing.
As for people thinking the rear frame makes a Jeep Wrangler look somewhat less stylish. Really... This is a Jeep Wrangler. I was looking for function... somethings that would take me over rocks and through creek beds when I drove my first CJ5.
I can always drive my wife's sports car when I feel the need for speed, and a dose of sexy style.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Personally I see a low percentage of those who opt for the Sky One touch top going to the lengths of removing the doors. While I’m sure there will be a some true enthusiasts choosing this option the odds are more in favor of the soccer mom set as sad as it is to say. Talking visual aesthetics though, I’d say this configuration would benefit from half doors.

I think I saw someone mention wind drag when running with this top with the doors and side windows removed, if we’re being honest with ourselves, a Wrangler sitting parked has the drag coefficient of a brick. Let’s face facts, if you’re crazy enough to buy a Wrangler you’re not buying it for it’s great handling, exceptional fuel economy or low drag coefficient. All kidding aside, I see this set up being better than the current JK platform running door-less with a hard top in place. The JK hard top acts a scoop catching wind and causing drag where as the JL with the Sky One touch top while still catching wind and causing drag isn’t nearly as bad.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
That wouldn’t be possible to do without watering down or otherwise taking away what makes a Wrangler a Wrangler. The Lexus you mention is also a fixed roof vehicle where as the Wrangler at it’s core is a convertible or a vehicle with a removable top or now an open air semi-fixed top.. Besides if you look at the size of the rear window (height that is) is larger than the height of the rear gate, and they can’t make the rear gate taller because if follows the body lines.
Sponsored