Undercoating / Rustproofing and Winter Tires for 2020 JL UNSAH

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Dealership was charging $2000 extra for undercoating package which I did not go for it. Upon delivery, I am thinking of getting KROWN rust proofing done, for the start of the Canadian winters ( I drive only 7000 kms. a year ). Any thoughts on this ? Is Mopar rustproofing required, or KROWN will do ?

With the NAV package, the jeep comes with All Terrain Tires - Would I need to purchase Winter Tires? I was thinging of riding out the first winter to check how the all Terrain wheels (which I have never had in my several other cars before) will work out in snow.
Sponsored

morleyz

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
You'll get varying opinions, but mine is that you made the right decision on undercoating. I have had several undercoated vehicles that essentially rusted out beneath the undercoat and you may not know there is a problem until it is too late. I have been using Fluid Film (similar to Krown, Wool Wax, etc.) and couldn't be happier with the results. I do it myself and it's a little messy and does have a tendency to collect dust, but the undercarriage of my F250 looks like new. Only real downside is that you have to repeat. I've been doing it once each fall before the first salting, but don't drive a ton and don't wash the undercarriage in the winter. This will be the first year on the Wrangler, but I'm assuming I'll get similar results.

AT tires in 4WD will be fine. If you're not amped up to get new tires, I don't think you NEED new tires for winter.

EnjoyLife

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado
You'll get varying opinions, but mine is that you made the right decision on undercoating. I have had several undercoated vehicles that essentially rusted out beneath the undercoat and you may not know there is a problem until it is too late. I have been using Fluid Film (similar to Krown, Wool Wax, etc.) and couldn't be happier with the results. I do it myself and it's a little messy and does have a tendency to collect dust, but the undercarriage of my F250 looks like new. Only real downside is that you have to repeat. I've been doing it once each fall before the first salting, but don't drive a ton and don't wash the undercarriage in the winter. This will be the first year on the Wrangler, but I'm assuming I'll get similar results.

AT tires in 4WD will be fine. If you're not amped up to get new tires, I don't think you NEED new tires for winter.
How do "You" apply the Fluid Film? Do you use a paint sprayer like a Graco Airless?

Sponsored

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
When I bought my MDX seven years ago, the dealer recommended AGAINST rustproofing, such as from Ziebart. He said that these treatments can foul up the various sensors in the body. (I was surprised. Back in the day, meaning a decade or two ago, it was hard to avoid such added services!)

Our modern Wrangler is rather "electronified," meaning having stability control, ABS, etc., etc., whose sensors are important to be functional for safety reasons. Thus, when I picked up my Rubicon, I declined the offer for all pre-delivery treatments. Further, the offer to put on a miracle finish on the body paint for x hundreds of dollars--in less than an hour--was totally suspect.

In most markets, likely better to flush underneath regularly during Winter. Of course I am guilty of not doing that as often as I probably should.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
A good product to rinse and neutralize salt is "Salt-Away " . Flush the whole vehicle underneath, topside, it chemically neutralizes salt wherever it may hide. West Marine sells it, under "Maintenance "

morleyz

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
How do "You" apply the Fluid Film? Do you use a paint sprayer like a Graco Airless?
I bought the Kellsport pro undercoating sprayer on Amazon. Works well and comes with extensions/360 degree hoses to get inside the frame rails.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
$2000?!?!? Sounds like a RIP! I did most of my underneath (frams, skids, plates, axles, whatever metal i could find) with Por15. Had friends use it in the past with luck. Will report back in 7 years - lol

OP
OP

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
So with Morleyz reply, it was pretty much simple to make a decision. But now with other replies, and reading another thread about warranty, I am conthoroughly-fused. Need you help and recommendations before I get the phone call from my dealership that my 2020 baby has arrived.

1. The AT tires usage for winter, decision is resolved for me now. Regarding RustProofing, please see below :

2.. I have been using KROWN oil based drip free rustproofing for my other cars for a while, at the local KROWN cartified shop, with no problems. But I have always owned pre-owned cars, where the rustproofing decision was easy for obvious reasons. This is the first time I am buying a brand spanking new 2020 jeep, so want to know if the Chrysler warranty would be void, for using KROWN rustproofing.

3. A thread mentioned about the underlying sensors getting screwed up due to rusproofing? Is this true ?

From my other cars, I understand that KROWN rustproofing needs to be done every year, which is fine by me - I have no problem doing that, as I have been doing with my previous cars.

Kindly guide me.

Sponsored

18BlackJLRU

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4XE Rubicon
With the NAV package, the jeep comes with All Terrain Tires - Would I need to purchase Winter Tires? I was thinging of riding out the first winter to check how the all Terrain wheels (which I have never had in my several other cars before) will work out in snow.
I also had the same debate when I got my Rubicon with the KO2 tires, my conclusion was that winter tires are winter tires.... it not a matter of how many miles we do it about roads conditions.... so I bought Bridgestone Blizzak tires.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Regarding the tires:
I've run BFG KO's in the snow on my 2 previous Jeeps- No issues. I've never gotten stuck and they have always had good traction on ice and wet roads. I have the KO2's on my JLUR and they're even better. Never once lost traction in 4wd on snow/ ice, and plowed through 3 foot snow drifts with locked axles so i could park this past winter.

Regarding rust proofing: Fluid film all the way. My buddy has it done every year to his 97 TJ, Chevy Silverado 2500 and trailer, and Acura sedan (for work). His CJ7 is trailer only and rarely sees any winter action so i think he stopped doing that. I've been pretty impressed with the results on his so I'm going Fluid film as well.
Sponsored