Sponsored

18 vs 17 inch Wheels with 35" Tires?

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
idk why tires and rims are so confusing to me. I wanna run 35s but I want the tires to be wide enough where its inch outward of the fenders. is that only in the tire or do I need special size rim too?
Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
idk why tires and rims are so confusing to me. I wanna run 35s but I want the tires to be wide enough where its inch outward of the fenders. is that only in the tire or do I need special size rim too?
There is a web site that will show you a comparison of what you’re running now to what what you want to run. I’m on my phone so don’t have access to all of my favorites.

Try googling custom wheel offsets and see what you come up with. I’ll try checking later when I get behind a computer.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sling_Shot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS and 2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Executive Chef
nice info, still not sure which way to get 35" on 18's. Been playing with this site.

Thanks again for the info

Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nice info, still not sure which way to get 35" on 18's. Been playing with this site.

Thanks again for the info
If you’re talking the rimsntires.com web site you need to get a little creative as the only provide P-metric sizes.

Wouldn’t a 315/70/18 be close to a 35x12.5x18?

harry17815

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep, 2017 Infinity, 2021 C8 Vette
Honestly haven't even begun to research what will or won't work on the JL just yet, however I'd "think" you should be fine with tire size. It looks like it converts out to 33.7" which isn't much more than stock, then of course once it's installed on the vehicle it'll may end up coming in at low 33 or high 32 once you factor in for vehicle weight and correct tire pressure. If you're changing tire size or load range to anything different than OEM you'll need to do the chalk test on the tires to determine the optimal tire pressure for your vehicle. https://www.4wheelparts.com/tire-wheel-package-guide/tire-pressure-checker.aspx

Having said that, taking a closer look at the Nitto Ridge Grappler you're considering, I'll be honest with you I'l maybe suggest thinking about a different combination. My 2¢, take it for what it's worth, I think the Ridge Grappler you're looking at in the 18" rim size is too much tire for a Wrangler. The tire size LT285/70R18 is a Load Range E (load weight rating of 3860) and is mainly geared towards heavier trucks in the 3/4 and 1 ton realm. Contrast that to the tires that come standard on a Rubicon which are LT285/70/17 and are a Load Range C (load weight rating of 2755). I'll never proclaim to be a technical expert, but the way I understand things is the Load Range E are a heaver duty tire with a stiff side wall and designed to be run at higher tire pressures where as the Load Range C tires are designed for lighter vehicles and have a softer more flexible side wall and can be run at lower tire pressure. Now you can technically run a Load Range E tires on a lighter vehicle, you just need to put some work into figure out what the optimal tire pressure is for that tire on your vehicle is because it won't be what the tire manufacturer recommends and it won't be what your door tag shows. Depending on what the tire pressure number is that you come up with, your vehicle could end up riding worse because of stiff sidewalls of the E range tires. All things you should factor into consideration when trying to decide on a rim & tire combo.

Other than that, this web site is pretty useful for trying to checking wheel size and offsets from stock to whatever new configuration you're running.
https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/
I have a 18 Rubicon JL. I've just purchased Moto Metal 970 18 X 9" rims with +18 offset. I've ordered Copper Discoverer 35 X 12.5 X 18" Tire. With this setup according to the wheel-offset link above that will put me at: 1.15" closer to top of fender, .37" further away from suspension, 1.67" further out on outer sidewall. That's perfect for my application. I have no lift kit nor do I want one. It will look more aggressive than stock, but not crazy. And yet there is the question on load range. Stock is C load range, New tire is E load range. So it will have stiffer sidewalls.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
You're putting to much DECISION/VALUE on published dimensions and SIZES--

I've been using 33/35/38" tires for over 45 years and ALWAYS USE "E" range tires--

I always use MT/MS tread tires and the main reason for that is---my jeeps aren't commute vehicles, although I've used 38" MTs on RAMCHARGERS !

If you don't like the noise--roll the window up and listen to the RADIO/WIFE-

Now I drive a 2018 RUBY/w HANKOOK DYNAPRO MT--LT315/75RX16 "E" and I run at 30psi--very smooth ride on-road and great off-road=

Using the 16" wheels gives me MUCH MORE SIDEWALL than 17/18/20/22 wheels, so that softens the HD sidewall ride !!!
SUNP0234_zps4f2kodgm.jpg

It ain't what you read, it's what you do !

W.E.

JIMBO

mjd3d9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
I have a 18 Rubicon JL. I've just purchased Moto Metal 970 18 X 9" rims with +18 offset. I've ordered Copper Discoverer 35 X 12.5 X 18" Tire. With this setup according to the wheel-offset link above that will put me at: 1.15" closer to top of fender, .37" further away from suspension, 1.67" further out on outer sidewall. That's perfect for my application. I have no lift kit nor do I want one. It will look more aggressive than stock, but not crazy. And yet there is the question on load range. Stock is C load range, New tire is E load range. So it will have stiffer sidewalls.
Will you please post a picture to show how far your tires stick out from the fenders? I am looking at a similar set up. Thanks!

Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone have pics of a 305x70r18 tire on a rubicon?
What is your objective with that? To gauge what a 35ish tire on an 18" rim looks like on a Rubicon? Or just to gauge what that rim tire combo looks like?

If the latter, you can use the pic below to get a gauge on that as we ran a 305/70/18 on my wife's ram for a few years before she upgraded to 37's.

13995529_1049456591756216_7429264026696595223_o-jpg.jpg

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I
What is your objective with that? To gauge what a 35ish tire on an 18" rim looks like on a Rubicon? Or just to gauge what that rim tire combo looks like?

If the latter, you can use the pic below to get a gauge on that as we ran a 305/70/18 on my wife's ram for a few years before she upgraded to 37's.

13995529_1049456591756216_7429264026696595223_o-jpg.jpg
liked it on your truck wanted to see it on jeep rubicon... I like that it’s a half inch taller than most 35s and a little more narrow but not a pizza cutter.. and with it being taller you only loose half an inch of wheel well and so not giving up much to get a little bigger circumference with out going to a 37 And bigger lift. Also want to k ow if with a 1.5-2” lift if it rubs.. I am tempted to do this but wheels and rims are more so it coast me an extra 400, there for hoping to see it and verify rubbing question

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I

liked it on your truck wanted to see it on jeep rubicon... I like that it’s a half inch taller than most 35s and a little more narrow but not a pizza cutter.. and with it being taller you only loose half an inch of wheel well and so not giving up much to get a little bigger circumference with out going to a 37 And bigger lift. Also want to k ow if with a 1.5-2” lift if it rubs.. I am tempted to do this but wheels and rims are more so it coast me an extra 400, there for hoping to see it and verify rubbing question
Speaking from my experience with my wife's truck, if I had it to do over again I would not do an 18" rim. With the limited selection of rims (with appropriate offset) and tires that it's almost not even worth it, especially with it costing more to go that route (over a 17" that is). If you already had the rims and were carrying them over, it'd be a different story, however since it sounds like you're buying everything new you're the one who has to decide if the extra cost is worth what you're trying to achieve.

As to the other point, about will it work without rubbing. With either 1.5" or 2" you should be fine with regards to wheel articulation, and if you rub a little, just add a little more bump stop. As for frame/control arm scrub, just make sure you pick a wheel that offers the right amount of offset (or backspacing). Example, I'm running 37x12.5x17 on Fuel tropy wheels (17x8.5 with 4.5" of BS) on 2.5" of lift (budget boost). I have zero frame/control arm scrub from the tires and when I'm flexing out, I only get a little bit of rub in the rear inner fender liners.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking from my experience with my wife's truck, if I had it to do over again I would not do an 18" rim. With the limited selection of rims (with appropriate offset) and tires that it's almost not even worth it, especially with it costing more to go that route (over a 17" that is). If you already had the rims and were carrying them over, it'd be a different story, however since it sounds like you're buying everything new you're the one who has to decide if the extra cost is worth what you're trying to achieve.

As to the other point, about will it work without rubbing. With either 1.5" or 2" you should be fine with regards to wheel articulation, and if you rub a little, just add a little more bump stop. As for frame/control arm scrub, just make sure you pick a wheel that offers the right amount of offset (or backspacing). Example, I'm running 37x12.5x17 on Fuel tropy wheels (17x8.5 with 4.5" of BS) on 2.5" of lift (budget boost). I have zero frame/control arm scrub from the tires and when I'm flexing out, I only get a little bit of rub in the rear inner fender liners.
Good advice, based on what you said I just committed to buy some 17” wheels off another member local to me, who had some great wheels designed for jeeps and at a fair price.. thanks for taking the time to talk they it.. now to make my final decision on 315 stt pro or 35 Nitto/Toyo/falken tires

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good advice, based on what you said I just committed to buy some 17” wheels off another member local to me, who had some great wheels designed for jeeps and at a fair price.. thanks for taking the time to talk they it.. now to make my final decision on 315 stt pro or 35 Nitto/Toyo/falken tires

The STT Pro is a great tire off road. I ran that on my wife truck and currently running them on my JL. On road they do reasonably well in most conditions but, however don’t expect miracles in rain or snow.

When the wife went to 37’s, we changed things up and switched to the Nitto Ridge Grappler. So far no real complaints. They seem to grip pretty well in the wet, well at least when we had to make an emergency stop in the wet. Haven’t had them off road yet (missed our chance in Colorado last month), though those who have speak highly of them. The best thing I noticed with the tires is I no longer hear my wife rolling down the street from a block away like I did when she had STT Pro’s on her truck. I only hear her when she pulls into the lot and I hear the clunk of the transmission. ;)
Sponsored