Sponsored

Permanent Change Idea with Tazer and Flashcal

tr0gd0r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I was thinking about a way to permanently save changes with a Tazer and Flashcal combined. Please read below.
This is a way to change tire size, un-marry, and keep the tire size changes in tact. This means you can sell the Tazer and Flashcal and not need it anymore. Keep in mind, this requires both a Tazer and a Flashcal.

Steps:
1. Connect FlashCal and marry (This will save your stock jeep configuration into the Flashcal)
2. Change Tire Size to 35"
3. Disconnect FlashCal
4. Connect Tazer JL and marry (This will save your modified configuration with tire size adjustment into the Tazer)
5. Disconnect Tazer JL but keep married
6. Connect FlashCal and unmarry (This will revert the Jeep to its stock configuration)
7. Disconnect FlashCal
8. Connect Tazer JL unmarry (This will install our saved configuration from Step 4)
9. Both your Tazer and FlashCal are unmarried and ready to sell and your Jeep still has its 35" tire configuration.

You could use this process to make other changes as well. Does anyone see any problems with this process?
Sponsored

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Let me talk about my experience.
I bought my Sahara without LED package.
After swapping to LEDs and larger tires, I changed light settings to LEDs and adjusted my tire size through Flashcal. I encountered several errors when returning to stock and failed to do so before servicing my Jeep at the dealers, so I use left it at that, however I did unmarry before appointment.
My dealer did mention that my Jeep needs various firmware updates and control modules are all wonky and need to be recalibrated/re-set. After I got my Jeep back I checked my settings with FlashCal again and they seem to be LEDs and updated tire size remain there in stock setting. Flashcal shows that my VIN is not locked so not sure if that actually updated my settings permanently.

Sponsored

OP
OP

tr0gd0r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Also this lets you use your Tazer and FlashCal to help out other people with JLs enable the features they want without having to buy one.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Also this lets you use your Tazer and FlashCal to help out other people with JLs enable the features they want without having to buy one.
I think there’s some ethical issues at play with end user agreements and such, but I’d rather shift to another topic.

Literally last Sunday I was thinking about whatever happened to homestar runner and started singing in my head the trogdor the burninator tune. Freshman year of college we couldn’t wait for the weekly “email” to post. That must be what your username is referencing? Hadn’t thought of that for 15+ years and that’s two times this week!

OP
OP

tr0gd0r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Literally last Sunday I was thinking about whatever happened to homestar runner and started singing in my head the trogdor the burninator tune. Freshman year of college we couldn’t wait for the weekly “email” to post. That must be what your username is referencing? Hadn’t thought of that for 15+ years and that’s two times this week!
Thats exactly it. Trogdor the Burninator!!!!

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Let me talk about my experience.
I bought my Sahara without LED package.
After swapping to LEDs and larger tires, I changed light settings to LEDs and adjusted my tire size through Flashcal. I encountered several errors when returning to stock and failed to do so before servicing my Jeep at the dealers, so I use left it at that, however I did unmarry before appointment.
My dealer did mention that my Jeep needs various firmware updates and control modules are all wonky and need to be recalibrated/re-set. After I got my Jeep back I checked my settings with FlashCal again and they seem to be LEDs and updated tire size remain there in stock setting. Flashcal shows that my VIN is not locked so not sure if that actually updated my settings permanently.
Do you think since you had issues returning to stock that it didn’t actually reset but somehow the Flashcal was able to unmarry?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Do you think since you had issues returning to stock that it didn’t actually reset but somehow the Flashcal was able to unmarry?
I don’t know what really happened, 5 emails and dms to superchip customer service and no replies.
I just know that my vehicle has been to the dealers for services countless times now and they never gave me any issues regarding third party programmers. My lights are still set at LED and my tires remain at the updated size. I have not used the flashcal since.

Sponsored

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
I don’t know what really happened, 5 emails and dms to superchip customer service and no replies.
I just know that my vehicle has been to the dealers for services countless times now and they never gave me any issues regarding third party programmers. My lights are still set at LED and my tires remain at the updated size. I have not used the flashcal since.
Wow. That’s crazy. That’s literally the only reason I’m buying one is the LED enabling and maybe fog light on w/Brights.

Since I don’t have mine yet is the only way to unmarry by returning to stock or is their an option to unmarry without returning to stock?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Wow. That’s crazy. That’s literally the only reason I’m buying one is the LED enabling and maybe fog light on w/Brights.

Since I don’t have mine yet is the only way to unmarry by returning to stock or is their an option to unmarry without returning to stock?
To unmarry you literally just unplug the little bypass module that comes with the thing. People say to reset (return to factory setting) before unplugging so dealer won’t find any trace of your meddling but mine failed to reset and I just umarried(unplug bypass module) anyways and no issues from the dealers thus far.

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Thanks. Updated my JLUR to LEDs via the Superchips this morning seemed to work fine, will see.

@Arterius2 - It would seem to me that if you connected the Superchips again to your Jeep that now it would read the LED as being stock? Guess it really doesn't matter as long as it works. :clap:

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I think your plan could work.

The only reason they force this marry/unmarry thing is to limit their product to only one jeep.
Otherwise you could buy one and do all your friends with it.

Of course they market the unmarry option as a way to go back to stock, but really going back to stock is easy when you know which options you changed in the first place. So it's all about protecting their market.

The only disadvantage to your plan is having to purchase both, in order to help others (or sell them).
I suppose, if this truly works, a bunch of JL owners could pool together and buy a pair and share among themselves.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Just read this thread and there is a large ethical question that comes up: why would you want to allow more than one person to use an item only intended and sold under the assumption that the end user ONLY would use it?

IMHO this ranks right up there with software theft. Sure, lots of people do it, but the rest of us pay for it. Think about it for a minute: Z Automotive is a sponsor here, that helps us and costs them $$. Z Automotive is constantly upgrading their product by testing and doing R&D, more $$$. Z Automotive actually helps folk on this and other sites, personally, and they spend time explaining, offering help and other things. Time = money.

So now a bunch of folk use 1 Tazer. That cuts into the operating margin of Z Automotive. They raise prices. Makes the tuner more expensive for the buyer who wants to do the right thing and buy the tuner for themselves.

Just my $.02
Sponsored