Sponsored

Dual cigarette outelt adapter that actually works with a lighter.

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
  • Banned
Obviously not a popular topic, but does anyone know of a dual adapter that can actually be used with a lighter? I snagged the lighter button out of another, older vehicle and it works in the factory dash outlet. However I put a dual outlet adapter that I had laying around in it and the lighter does not work in it. I actually use the lighter since I'm door and window free.

The only one I've seen is this one below, and it would be great but the one USB charging port is only 1 amp. Which is what the factory media USB is as well I believe. I need one that is 2 amps to be able to actually charge while using the phone for GPS etc. The factory USB port will barely keep the phone charged at the same level when the screen is on. I usually turn the brightness down a bit on my phone or it will slowly drain while plugged in.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07172GDX...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
61oHDK-hlPL._SL1392_.jpg

Would like to be able to power up multiple phones/tablets for passengers. Not that I need to often but it happens. I'd also like more than one option. Research tells me that the designs for accesories and actual lighters are different in a couple of ways despite looking nearly identical.
Sponsored

OP
OP
anotherWS6

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
  • Banned
BTW, I am 87 years old. I am smart enough to know I should quit.

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
Most 12v power outlets will not support an electric cigarette lighter.

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager

Sponsored

OP
OP
anotherWS6

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
  • Banned
Most 12v power outlets will not support an electric cigarette lighter.
Um. Yes. I know. Hence why I created this post there Chief-Rocka. ;) Give ya a little wink there buddy.

OP
OP
anotherWS6

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
  • Banned
I did this..and also bought a USB rechargeable plasma lighter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07PP7RLT9?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07FFV7M1J?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

20190902_150528.jpg

As a side note, you can buy the USB charger i linked and another member posted a write up on how to install something similar behind your center console for the rear passengers.
I have seriously considered putting one of those in the factory lighter spot. Looks cool.

Have also considered putting an outlet in the back of the console. I have a really nice 400W inverter that can be hard wired. If I do anything with the console I think I'll mount the inverter under the seat and then put a 120 outlet and a couple of USB's there. Dunno how much room there is insde the console, depth wise, to do this. But I suppose some models came with an outlet there so there must be SOME room, right?

Checked out some of those lighters online. Didn't know they existed. I definitely wouldn't want a wind proof lighter that required fuel. I've never had good luck with those or zippos. Either out of fuel when I need it, making a mess refilling with poor in fuel, or wasting half a can of compressed fuel trying to refill while the lighter only takes on 10%. I dont understand but that's what always happens. Those plasmas are cool, but looks like you've gotta be pretty accurate while lighting. Maybe not the best thing while driving? The 12v cig lighter is a pretty easy, big target while cruising.

OP
OP
anotherWS6

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
  • Banned

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
Um. Yes. I know. Hence why I created this post there Chief-Rocka. ;) Give ya a little wink there buddy.
I'm talking about thebones the put in our vehicles here in the 21st century.
They are not CIGARETTE LIGHTERS and won't support one monster what.
The Re not wired or fused to carry the long heavy inductive load of a flat wound coil heater.
Wire one directly to the battery

OP
OP
anotherWS6

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
I'm talking about thebones the put in our vehicles here in the 21st century.
They are not CIGARETTE LIGHTERS and won't support one monster what.
The Re not wired or fused to carry the long heavy inductive load of a flat wound coil heater.
Wire one directly to the battery
I took the lighter coil out of my 2000 silverado and use it in my Jeep every day. You know what Jeep does to make a "smoker package" equipped vehicle able to use a coil lighter? They just give you a coil lighter. I dont have the smoker package. 99% of new vehicles are equipped with one lighter outlet up front. Additional outlets are not for lighter ue but you still get one.

You're getting a little winky too there BroHammer. ;)

Sponsored

Z3r0jimmy

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara
I did this..and also bought a USB rechargeable plasma lighter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07PP7RLT9?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07FFV7M1J?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Jeep Wrangler JL Dual cigarette outelt adapter that actually works with a lighter. 20190902_150528

As a side note, you can buy the USB charger i linked and another member posted a write up on how to install something similar behind your center console for the rear passengers.
did you splice this to the original wiring as the cigarette lighter socket or did youwire to the battery?

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
This won’t do you any good but I paid the 30 bucks for the smokers package to insure a high amp outlet.For future reference.
Sponsored