Sponsored

Mounting a Cargo Bag To Soft Top

Triple Trouble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Hi - taking a trip in a few weeks and am currently looking to add some extra capacity since we are a family of 5. I have the dual top but want to keep the soft top on for the trip. Was thinking about something like this:

https://www.roofbag.com/Car-top-carriers.asp

Doesn't have to be that exact one, however, my question is whether or not the soft top will be able to support it. I figure I'd be packing clothes and stuff in there so probably would be ~40lbs (im guessing) when all's said and done.
Any advice you guys can give would be much appreciated.
I know there are many other options out there, but really don't want anything that is going to get in the way of me being able to take the top down once I have reached my destination.

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Triple Trouble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I'm not sure the top would support it and I wouldn't want to chance it. Have you considered this Quadratec cargo rack and bag? We got one this year and it was great-and waterproof!
https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...rain-proof-cargo-storage-bag-2-receiver-hitch
Thanks. I did take a look at that but I read some mixed reviews that there were some QC issues with the rack. A number of them arrived bent and out of shape. I take it you didn’t have any issues.

Was it relatively easy to install and remove? I know you can’t open the trunk while it’s mounted.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Yeah, I had the same issue... light weight stuff and a soft top... There is no way to place any load on the soft top, it will just get ruined..

Your only choice (that I know of) is to pay the big bucks or build your own, to your own specs..

No matter what there is no easy answer for us soft top guys.. I researched it for months and I was not happy with anything on the market.. most of the racks were way to fancy - costly for the basics I wanted.

I just finished mine and it was a couple weekends of effort. But I am happy, I can place, bags, camp gear, Kayaks and I can change the configuration at any time.. no welding (8020.net T-slot)..

For the most part I plan on using this with my M416 trailer as well.. the wind noise and gas mileage stinks due to height..

Good luck with what ever you decide..

JL-softtop-8020-rack.jpg

rack-back.jpg

Karak-rack-done.jpg

Dawn Patrol

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I did take a look at that but I read some mixed reviews that there were some QC issues with the rack. A number of them arrived bent and out of shape. I take it you didn’t have any issues.

Was it relatively easy to install and remove? I know you can’t open the trunk while it’s mounted.
I didn't have any issues with mine. It was very easy to assemble, in fact I had my ten year old help me with it. The only issue I saw with it is that the edges are kind of sharp, so if you aren't careful when removing it you could cut yourself. You can open the tailgate when you have the rack installed, but when you have the bag filled and in the rack, it is pretty much impossible to open the tailgate. We used it on our last trip and it was a huge space saver and we were really happy to have purchased it. I did see the negative reviews on quadratec though so I understand your thinking. I live 30 minutes from quadratec so I figured I'd return it in person if it was faulty.

Sponsored

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I had the same issue... light weight stuff and a soft top... There is no way to place any load on the soft top, it will just get ruined..

Your only choice (that I know of) is to pay the big bucks or build your own, to your own specs..

No matter what there is no easy answer for us soft top guys.. I researched it for months and I was not happy with anything on the market.. most of the racks were way to fancy - costly for the basics I wanted.

I just finished mine and it was a couple weekends of effort. But I am happy, I can place, bags, camp gear, Kayaks and I can change the configuration at any time.. no welding (8020.net T-slot)..

For the most part I plan on using this with my M416 trailer as well.. the wind noise and gas mileage stinks due to height..

JL-softtop-8020-rack.jpg

rack-back.jpg

Karak-rack-done.jpg
Wow that's awesome. Can you share a few pictures of how it's mounted?

OP
OP

Triple Trouble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU

JL-softtop-8020-rack.jpg

rack-back.jpg

Karak-rack-done.jpg
Impressive! What do you do when you want to take the top down? Does it easily fold back? That's really my biggest issue with the racks.
I'm headed out to Cape Cod with the family and want the flexibility to be able to use the soft top as it's meant to be used! Down, Up, SunRider, etc. I actually have a hard top as well, and take it off in the summer time so can have full open air. The kids really love it.

@Dawn Patrol since I am heading out in a couple of weeks, it seems like that Quadratec hitch option is likely my best bet....plus it's not too pricey.
Although now....I need a trailer hitch! An oversight on my part when I picked up my JLU. Didn't have the tow package.
Open to recc if anyone had to deal with installing one.

Thanks guys!

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
Impressive! What do you do when you want to take the top down? Does it easily fold back? That's really my biggest issue with the racks.
I'm headed out to Cape Cod with the family and want the flexibility to be able to use the soft top as it's meant to be used! Down, Up, SunRider, etc. I actually have a hard top as well, and take it off in the summer time so can have full open air. The kids really love it.

@Dawn Patrol since I am heading out in a couple of weeks, it seems like that Quadratec hitch option is likely my best bet....plus it's not too pricey.
Although now....I need a trailer hitch! An oversight on my part when I picked up my JLU. Didn't have the tow package.

Thanks guys!

Jk tow hitches fit the JL. I got one on amazon for $30. I was able to install it in 20 mins without removing the rear bumper

Dawn Patrol

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks guys!
I got my hitch through Quadratec also, believe it was the Rough Country hitch. I think it was around $69 and it was a fairly straightforward install. It did worked well with the rack/bag. Let me know if there’s anything else you need; I’m happy to help. Good luck!

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6

Thanks guys!
Thanks and sorry for the slow reply, we just came back from Jeep Jamboree on the Rubicon trail.. to answer your question, yes it has a pivot point at the rear. currently I have not added quick connects, just 4 bolts In the front and the whole rack pivots back. I am debating to add telescoping poles to make it a platform - awning off the back after the pivot when camping.. vs using an easy up.. one less thing to pack I guess.. I am wrestling with that idea..

After putting 1200 miles ~ 70mpg on the I5 and 20 miles ~1mpg on the rubicon trail, it held up great, no issues, no loose bolts (blue locktite).. Functionally very happy.. I can say, I was the only rig with 2 11' Kayak's in Rubion springs out off 300 jeeps :) .. we had a great time using them there.. looking forward to doing it again.

One issue I am not happy with and I am not sure what can be done is wind noise.. The Kayaks make a lot of noise at speeds above 55mpg... if I cant figure it out, I may relocate the rack to my M416 utility trailer..

Hope that helps, more pictures coming..

TC

Sponsored

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks and sorry for the slow reply, we just came back from Jeep Jamboree on the Rubicon trail.. to answer your question, yes it has a pivot point at the rear. currently I have not added quick connects, just 4 bolts In the front and the whole rack pivots back. I am debating to add telescoping poles to make it a platform - awning off the back after the pivot when camping.. vs using an easy up.. one less thing to pack I guess.. I am wrestling with that idea..

After putting 1200 miles ~ 70mpg on the I5 and 20 miles ~1mpg on the rubicon trail, it held up great, no issues, no loose bolts (blue locktite).. Functionally very happy.. I can say, I was the only rig with 2 11' Kayak's in Rubion springs out off 300 jeeps :) .. we had a great time using them there.. looking forward to doing it again.

One issue I am not happy with and I am not sure what can be done is wind noise.. The Kayaks make a lot of noise at speeds above 55mpg... if I cant figure it out, I may relocate the rack to my M416 utility trailer..

Hope that helps, more pictures coming..

TC
Love your rack and the DIY ingenuity. Any details you can share on how you made and mounted it would be awesome and appreciated!

Last edited:

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Love your rack and the DIY ingenuity. Any details you can share on how you made and mounted it would be awesome and appreciated!
glad to help... https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/roof-rack-for-kayaks.33654/#post-781690

wind noise is an issue on all racks.. especially soft tops with kayaks ... but I love being able to through kayaks on in 5 mins and off you go... and I can confidently say the 8020 stuff held up to multiple trails including the Rubicon fully loaded (2 kayaks plus gear)… I have about 7k miles on it loaded at freeway speeds (70mph)..

Rubicon-2019-camp.jpg

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Best way to carry a kayak with a softop, and even hard top, imo:

https://www.hitchmount-rack.com/

And it is quite stable. You can also carry bikes with it. Or anything really. Takes a minute to put on, a minute to take off.
Which assumes you plan on staying on dirt roads, cause you have to admit you cant take that on any real trails.. trees and rocks will be an issue with that overhang and the major reduction of departure angle. https://www.hitchmount-rack.com/pages/jeep-kayak-rack-hitchmount-rack-fitment-guide

Do you know of anybody trying to run the Rubicon trail with it?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Which assumes you plan on staying on dirt roads, cause you have to admit you cant take that on any real trails.. trees and rocks will be an issue with that overhang and the major reduction of departure angle. https://www.hitchmount-rack.com/pages/jeep-kayak-rack-hitchmount-rack-fitment-guide

Do you know of anybody trying to run the Rubicon trail with it?
I dont know of anyone doing the rubicon with kayaks. The hitch rack is not for serious off roading, but it allows yo securr your kayaks on top of a soft top. If you want to offroad with serious cargo you need a cage. soft top or not, or take the top off and use the roll cage.
Sponsored