Sponsored

Anyone leave their soft top on for cold seasons?

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This is the first Jeep where i've had a soft top. I understand some pros/cons about this subject, but does anyone actually leave the soft tops on during cold seasons? Thoughts?
Sponsored

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Second jeep with soft top. I leave it on all year round. No issues. Brush the top off in the snow and take it down in the hot. If your afraid that it doesn't insulate well then turn your Jeep heat to full blast. It like a blast furnace.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
This is the first Jeep where i've had a soft top. I understand some pros/cons about this subject, but does anyone actually leave the soft tops on during cold seasons? Thoughts?
Got a 2020 on the way with a soft top. Its going to be introduced to Vermont winters. 15 below zero sometimes. We have a garage, so it should do just fine.

Last edited:

Bravo

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0, 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega CTD, 2019 Roadglide Special, 2015 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 2019 Skidoo Summit X 165, and 2018 Skidoo Summit X 154
Soft top year round here in Idaho...

Sponsored

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
Don’t own a hard top, couldn’t see the point. No issues here.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
When I used a soft top in the winter, I had issues trying to zip side, rear panels on because the soft top material shrinks with the cold. How is accessing the rear, especially on a 2 door, with the new "slide out" panels in cold weather ? I went to a hard top for this reason, the soft top fabric shrank too much to use the rear cargo area easily..

shutamouth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
NH Full year Soft Top. I don't mind the heat/snow at all, however I have a garage So I'm never brushing snow.

When I used a soft top in the winter, I had issues trying to zip side, rear panels on because the soft top material shrinks with the cold. How is accessing the rear, especially on a 2 door, with the new "slide out" panels in cold weather ? I went to a hard top for this reason, the soft top fabric shrank too much to use the rear cargo area easily..
This is my largest issue. On days I need the trunk, you really need to detach the back window a bit. For me this is an infrequent inconvenience.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Ease of access to cargo area and rear defroster were major deciding factors for me to go with dual tops. I know plenty of people that drive Wranglers and other convertibles in the winter and insulation isn't generally much of an issue.

Sponsored

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
The JL is my third soft top 2 door Wrangler. Here in north central PA the winters can get somewhat nasty. Never had a problem with the tops. When the rear plastic window gets too dirty I use a spray bottle with warm water to hose it down well enough to see out.

mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software
I had two YJs with dual tops. Then I got at TJ that was one of the first ones made. It had a soft top and half doors with upper soft doors with the zipper windows.

Now this is not a JL, but I never really had any issues with snow or ice, or issues with the heat. The biggest problem I had was that I could not put a ski rack on the roof, and when we went skiing we could not leave the Jeep parked anywhere with out gear in it.

If I do get a JL, I will be getting the dual tops. I want to put a roof rack on it for the winter (don't want the hutch mount) and like being able to take a winter road trip without worrying about our gear in the truck. I do realize I can get one of those lockable trunk things.

TheDirtyDangla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6 E-Torque
Got a 2020 on the way with a soft top. Its going to be introduced to Vermont winters. 15 below zero sometimes. We have a garage, so it should do just fine.
Bring my 2018 up there all the time from PA, but i have the dual top because I need a roof rack for my boards! Downside of being 6'4" is having long ass snowboards

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
I’ve been through one Chicago winter and like the others don’t feel it was a problem at all. I have a garage though, so it gets a break overnight.
Sponsored