SeanD

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2013 Acura RDX
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, putting those metal alligator clips back in drew blood. I used the same needle nose and a flat head to bend and pry them back into shape. The seat recline definitely makes it worth it though. We have done some long trips and my daughter hasn't complained since getting them installed.

Which hard top fillers/inserts are you using? My hard top will be going back on soon and I am looking for some.
I got the Hothead Headliners. I really like them. They are well made, beefier than the Mopar factory headliner. I also got the sound assassin strips which is an additional option he offers. The combination of both does seem to deaden the road noise, seems to improve the stereo sound a bit, and also seems to help some with temperature management (at least with this past August heat here in the PNW - still hasn't been tested in any cold temps this fall so we'll see). Installation was fairly straightforward - the inserts all attach with heavy duty 3M tape. However, roughing up the hardtop with sandpaper so the 3M tape would stick well was a bit awkward and messy. I dropped the rear seats, threw down a drop cloth to cover the entire rear, and used a shop vac to suck up the fine dust while I was sanding, which actually kept the mess to a minimum. He often offers a 10% discount code. I got the whole set, including the side rear window inserts and the sound assassin strips for just under $500.

8F8C0C19-2CBA-4378-8517-BBC797D0EF33.jpeg

F8D44FC7-3438-4E1F-88D2-CA4D1A157E9D.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Texas_Yote

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite, 15 JKS 2DR, F80 M3
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
I got the Hothead Headliners. I really like them. They are well made, beefier than the Mopar factory headliner. I also got the sound assassin strips which is an additional option he offers. The combination of both does seem to deaden the road noise, seems to improve the stereo sound a bit, and also seems to help some with temperature management (at least with this past August heat here in the PNW - still hasn't been tested in any cold temps this fall so we'll see). Installation was fairly straightforward - the inserts all attach with heavy duty 3M tape. However, roughing up the hardtop with sandpaper so the 3M tape would stick well was a bit awkward and messy. I dropped the rear seats, threw down a drop cloth to cover the entire rear, and used a shop vac to suck up the fine dust while I was sanding, which actually kept the mess to a minimum. He often offers a 10% discount code. I got the whole set, including the side rear window inserts and the sound assassin strips for just under $500.
NICE!! Ill have to check it out. Having ran all summer with the soft top on, in a weird way I am not looking forward to having white fill the cabin again. I was going to spray the whole top black on the inside but this looks like a good half way point. The soft top lets all the heat in and cold in. So if this helps even a little keep the cab warmer when I put the hard top on it will be a huge win!

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
Yeah, putting those metal alligator clips back in drew blood. I used the same needle nose and a flat head to bend and pry them back into shape. The seat recline definitely makes it worth it though. We have done some long trips and my daughter hasn't complained since getting them installed.

Which hard top fillers/inserts are you using? My hard top will be going back on soon and I am looking for some.
I'm so confused by this post. I don't understand why you have to do anything to that piece with the alligator clips. It looks like all the work can be done from in front of the seat? What am I missing here?

OP
OP
Texas_Yote

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite, 15 JKS 2DR, F80 M3
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
I'm so confused by this post. I don't understand why you have to do anything to that piece with the alligator clips. It looks like all the work can be done from in front of the seat? What am I missing here?
It cannot be done without removing the rear cover...nothing confusing about it. On the inital install post I cover this. You cannot access the bolts in the rear without removing the cover. Since you have to remove the cover you must deal with the clips...

SeanD

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Refer to the picture below. Large nut on each end and the bolt in the left center have to be loosened (but not removed). Can’t be accessed with the cover in place.

23A081F1-AD62-40AE-8844-7FCD7FE97243.jpeg

Sponsored

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
Is it different if you have cloth v leather? How can it possibly take some people 20 minutes to install and others 2-3 hours.

SeanD

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is it different if you have cloth v leather? How can it possibly take some people 20 minutes to install and others 2-3 hours.
Leather has the gap cover. I don’t think cloth has the cover, so probably much easier to install. Purpose of the thread and providing these pictures/advice is to help others with the install. It certainly takes more than 20 minutes with the leather because the gap cover and alligator clips are a bitch. If I had to do it again, and knowing what I now know and have tried to share, I could probably do it in an hour or so. Bending the clips back is tedious.

Last edited:

SeanD

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
NICE!! Ill have to check it out. Having ran all summer with the soft top on, in a weird way I am not looking forward to having white fill the cabin again. I was going to spray the whole top black on the inside but this looks like a good half way point. The soft top lets all the heat in and cold in. So if this helps even a little keep the cab warmer when I put the hard top on it will be a huge win!
Hey @Texas_Yote , I just saw @Hothead Headliners is running a 10% discount and free shipping on JL headliners. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hothead-headliners-thanksgiving-sale.18154/

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Got my kit in on Friday and installed it today. I have cloth seats and used only a ratchet and 3/4” socket. Zero issues and was done in 45 minutes. I found it was easier to break loose the 3 rear under seat bolts by coming in from the cargo area as you could get better leverage. Once all bolts were out I sprayed the holes and reused bolts with WD-40. Made it a lot easier to start the new bolts.

Here is the kit I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/Wrangler-Del...=B014TF6ID4&psc=1&refRID=GGE2MN388GG9PVVGF500

Last edited:

Ben

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon (White)
Thanks for prybar tip. Popping the cover off with a pry bar was a 5 minute job. There's 9 alligator clips. Just pry the cover next to clip like pulling up a nail. The rest of the install was straight forward. I had no clue how to remove the cover until i saw this post.
Just installed this today in my JLUR. Once I got the gap cover removed, it was pretty straightforward and easy. I was worried about the 3 bolts lining up but it actually wasn’t too difficult at all.

@Texas_Yote wasn’t kidding about the gap cover being a MF’er to remove though. I actually broke the plastic frame on one end of the cover, and finally had to resort to using a pry bar to work across and pry loose each of the tabs one by one. I did find it easier to access once I removed the lift up floor cover (I found that is just attached to some sliding tabs - just slides to the rear a few inches to release it). Bending the prongs back down on the metal tabs was also less than fun - I used a combination of a flat screwdriver, needle nosed pliers, and some considerable cursing for that. And wear gloves!

But it’s all back together and the increased comfort factor is noticeable. Before and after pics attached. Will be testing it out on a 4 hr trip to central Oregon for Thanksgiving.

77809C49-C71D-4AAC-A9B8-E6D39BAF0D95.jpeg

D21BF74C-06DC-4EEB-8592-D9856FA23BCD.jpeg

FBE61FFA-9589-4156-83C0-809F2059A413.jpeg

EBC0A02D-3548-4A31-B3A4-57710076C716.jpeg

EC3AC169-4B5A-4CBE-864A-6D9A36C4670B.jpeg

4DD5DA1D-6FBA-4C17-B2A2-3280F46F6CAC.jpeg

1EECBE94-4847-46C8-8866-1BA281E717BF.jpeg
20190712_191321.jpg

20190712_191331.jpg

20190712_191344.jpg

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone seen a kit like this for the front seats? I think they would be more comfortable if the front of the seat was a bit higher.
I want to lower the front seats

silver

First Name
Jeannie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver JLUR
I bought the JK kit on Amazon for $23. Came with the bolts and aluminum blocks (don't trust the plastic ones). Fit in my JLU perfect and took me about 20 minutes to install...
How did you get the carpet gap filler off to get to the bolts that you need to loosen to get the back spacers in?

silver

First Name
Jeannie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver JLUR
Thanks for prybar tip. Popping the cover off with a pry bar was a 5 minute job. There's 9 alligator clips. Just pry the cover next to clip like pulling up a nail. The rest of the install was straight forward. I had no clue how to remove the cover until i saw this post.

20190712_191321.jpg

20190712_191331.jpg

20190712_191344.jpg
Holy Cow, did that go back together? I sat in the back of my Jeep and almost cried after 2 hours of Mfers. I found the parts, in case I ruin what is there, which seems quite possible. Man, why so hard, ugh!

Ben

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon (White)
Use a screwdriver and pliers to bend the alligator clips. It all goes back together very easily. Good luck!

silver

First Name
Jeannie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver JLUR
Just installed this today in my JLUR. Once I got the gap cover removed, it was pretty straightforward and easy. I was worried about the 3 bolts lining up but it actually wasn’t too difficult at all.

@Texas_Yote wasn’t kidding about the gap cover being a MF’er to remove though. I actually broke the plastic frame on one end of the cover, and finally had to resort to using a pry bar to work across and pry loose each of the tabs one by one. I did find it easier to access once I removed the lift up floor cover (I found that is just attached to some sliding tabs - just slides to the rear a few inches to release it). Bending the prongs back down on the metal tabs was also less than fun - I used a combination of a flat screwdriver, needle nosed pliers, and some considerable cursing for that. And wear gloves!

But it’s all back together and the increased comfort factor is noticeable. Before and after pics attached. Will be testing it out on a 4 hr trip to central Oregon for Thanksgiving.

77809C49-C71D-4AAC-A9B8-E6D39BAF0D95.jpeg

D21BF74C-06DC-4EEB-8592-D9856FA23BCD.jpeg

FBE61FFA-9589-4156-83C0-809F2059A413.jpeg

EBC0A02D-3548-4A31-B3A4-57710076C716.jpeg

EC3AC169-4B5A-4CBE-864A-6D9A36C4670B.jpeg

4DD5DA1D-6FBA-4C17-B2A2-3280F46F6CAC.jpeg

1EECBE94-4847-46C8-8866-1BA281E717BF.jpeg
I can't get the bolt square so that they will go back in. We were out there for a few hours trying to get them in. Is there some kind of trick to it?
Sponsored