What's the real story on 2020 engines

ids318

First Name
Ira
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW 750LiX
I have been in touch with several local dealers and cannot get a consistent story on 2020 engines. The latest information from one dealer is that FCA has cancelled all of their orders with 3.6L engines and that the only available option is the 2.0L turbo.

I am intrigued by the potential of holding out for the diesel, but nobody is commenting on when they will be available for order or the cost. I would be grateful for some insight.
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

3.0 diesel is available November/December for order currently. glad i got my 3.6 at the beginning of the year. best of luck! i would wait for the diesel to come out.

mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software
The latest information from one dealer is that FCA has cancelled all of their orders with 3.6L engines and that the only available option is the 2.0L turbo.
Local dealer (Long Island) told me that he cannot order the 3.6 for his dealer inventory. He can only special order for a customer.

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
The factory will restrict dealer orders if they have shortages or need to keep their combined fuel economy figures down... this is one of the reason you see so many 2.0s on dealer lots. (they've also added incentives) "Sold orders" are typically processed differently than orders for jeeps on the lot.

Placed an order for a JLUR with 3.6 yesterday and got my VON assigned without any issues, which I assume means it's a done deal.

Sponsored

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered my 3.6 on 8/8 and took delivery yesterday. The dealer did have other 2020 3.6's on the lot so not really sure what the current situation is.They're one of the largest Jeep dealers in the area so not sure if their inventory would be a different case or not. Best of luck to you though!

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been in touch with several local dealers and cannot get a consistent story on 2020 engines. The latest information from one dealer is that FCA has cancelled all of their orders with 3.6L engines and that the only available option is the 2.0L turbo.

I am intrigued by the potential of holding out for the diesel, but nobody is commenting on when they will be available for order or the cost. I would be grateful for some insight.
Part inventory changes constantly. There were people who couldn't order the standard Rubicon wheels, couldn't order 3.6 w/ auto, then could order 3.6, then couldn't order advanced safety with 8.4" screen, then could, etc.
FCA seems to disable ordering of options often based on availability rather than letting you order and sit in a queue.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered my 3.6 on 8/8 and took delivery yesterday. The dealer did have other 2020 3.6's on the lot so not really sure what the current situation is.They're one of the largest Jeep dealers in the area so not sure if their inventory would be a different case or not. Best of luck to you though!
Andy, I'm guessing Lake Norman, right. Got mine there also.

Reactions: apb
OP
OP

ids318

First Name
Ira
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW 750LiX
Part inventory changes constantly. There were people who couldn't order the standard Rubicon wheels, couldn't order 3.6 w/ auto, then could order 3.6, then couldn't order advanced safety with 8.4" screen, then could, etc.
FCA seems to disable ordering of options often based on availability rather than letting you order and sit in a queue.

Funny that you mentioned this... I also had issues ordering Advanced Safety Package... Must be nice to be in demand...

Sponsored

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
Andy, I'm guessing Lake Norman, right. Got mine there also.
Hey there Jim, you are correct. My wife got her Jeep from them a few months ago and I got my Charger there as well. Good experiences and will definitely go back if/when there is another FCA purchase.

My compliments on your color choice as well. ;)

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Local dealer (Long Island) told me that he cannot order the 3.6 for his dealer inventory. He can only special order for a customer.
This was pretty common with 2018s and 2019s too. Jeep wanted to get more 2.0 turbos out there so dealers were limited on what they could order for their stock. I saw a lot of 2018s still on lots in April of this year and they all had the turbo.

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport-S-KIA; 2020 JLU Rubicon
I have a 3.6L in my 2020 JLUR

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Hey there Jim, you are correct. My wife got her Jeep from them a few months ago and I got my Charger there as well. Good experiences and will definitely go back if/when there is another FCA purchase.

My compliments on your color choice as well. ;)

@apb Thanks Andy, looks like we both have good taste in colors. I was quite happy with the deal, and customer service at Lake Norman Jeep. Of course I didn't get everything I wanted, but I walked away happy. So, that's what counts. I tried that other Jeep dealer here in Concord. It didn't take me long to see that I had make a mistake. :)

Last edited:

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Your dealer is blowing smoke up your arse. I pick up my 3.6 8spd Rubicon Friday, ordered 8/20 and he sold out of dealer stock another Rubicon which was for dealer stock a week ago to my freind. Has another 3.6 Rubicon and Sport for dealer stock which came in with mine Tuesday. All 3.6 8spd. mine was built in 4 days from the order on 24th and was delivered to depot in MA on 30th, sat their because of the carrier wouldnt deliver until Teusday. Would say Jeep has their $hit together if you can order and have delivered in 3 weeks mostly waiting on a carrier they have no control over. Every mopar I have ordered has been delivered within 6 weeks, so no need to not order and get exactly what you want.
Sponsored