Sponsored

Is it possible that the features on the car don't match the VIN?

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
EDIT: The dealership called me back and told me it was sold. Thanks for all who responded!

So, I am VERY close to getting the desired Sahara I want, at the price I want. Having said that, I am finalizing negotiations on the phone. For me, there is one HUGE hiccup here, this is what the decription online says:

This 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara in Granite Crystal Metallic Clearcoat features: Clean CARFAX. CARFAX One-Owner. **ONE OWNER**, Clean Carfax, Non-Smoker, Local Trade, Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 4D Sport Utility, 3.6L V6 24V VVT, 8-Speed Automatic, 4WD, Granite Crystal Metallic Clearcoat, Black/Heritage Tan w/Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats, 1-Year SiriusXM Guardian Trial, 5-Year SiriusXM Traffic Service, 5-Year SiriusXM Travel Link Service, 8.4' Touchscreen Display, Alpine Premium Audio System, Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle, Auto-Dimming Rear-View Mirror, Black Badges, Blind Spot & Cross Path Detection, Body Color 3-Piece Hard Top, Body Color Grille w/Black Accents, Daytime Running Lamps LED Accents, Electronic Infotainment System Group, Freedom Panel Storage Bag, Front LED Fog Lamps, HD Radio, Hood w/Air Vents, LED Lighting Group, LED Reflector Headlamps, LED Taillamps, McKinley Leather Seats w/Jeep Logo, Moab Edition, Moab Hood Badging, MOPAR All-Weather Floor Mats, MOPAR Hardtop Headliner, ParkSense Rear Park Assist System, Premium Wrapped I/P Bezels, Quick Order Package 24G, Quick Order Package 24M Moab, Radio: Uconnect 4C Nav w/8.4' Display, Rear Window Defroster, Rear Window Wiper/Washer, Remote Proximity Keyless Entry, Roadside Assistance & 9-1-1 Call, Safety Group, SiriusXM Traffic Plus, SiriusXM Travel Link, Steel Front Bumper, Wheels: 17' x 7.5' Moab Black Aluminum. Priced below KBB Fair Purchase Price!

If I was to analyze this description this would mean that this would have:
- The LED Lighting Group
- The Safety Group
- The Electronic infotainment Group

Meanwhile checkingg the VIN, with the window sticker I instead see:
- Cold Weather Group
- Hard Top Headliner
- 8 Speed Tranny
- Body Color Freedom Top
- 18 inch grey polished face wheels

Am I missing something here? I should be trusting the VIN sticker correct?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Uuummmm.... going out on a limb here, but maybe specifically confirm with seller?

OP
OP

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Uuummmm.... going out on a limb here, but maybe specifically confirm with seller?
Ha, I called, and they said, nope, this is definitely there.

But I am calling BS on it. I took a look at the pictures online, and unless they have the wrong pics up, I don't see the LED headlights. The other things are harder to tell from the Pics.

There is a picture showing the Sirus XM screen, but I thought that came on both the regular 7 inch screen and the 8.4 inch touchscreen. So can't tell much from that.

Not to mention, I am seeing Quick Order Package 24M Moab, but there is 0 Moab markings.

Me thinks this is just the dealership just copying and pasting from some description and not knowing much. This is not a Jeep dealership after all.

7below

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I would agree with the calling and checking to confirm. That being said dealer added options would never show up on the VIN decode. Same with port added options for an imported vehicle. In this case though it sounds like the dealer just has the wrong options listed.

OP
OP

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
I would agree with the calling and checking to confirm. That being said dealer added options would never show up on the VIN decode. Same with port added options for an imported vehicle. In this case though it sounds like the dealer just has the wrong options listed.
So I did call back again, and they have some one literally going out to the car and calling me back now, as I pointed out the discrepancies to them. It's good to know that dealer added options would not show on the VIN decode. But I was checking this car on Carfax. Isn't what Carfax shows the actual window sticker?

Sponsored

7below

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Carfax should be referencing the window sticker which is the options the Jeep was built with at the factory. That being said trust but verify.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Since you are looking at a CarFax, I assume its preowned. The Previous owner could have changed stuff out or swapped parts with someone before getting rid of it

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
If possible post a link so some of the more experienced folks here can get a good read on the Jeep. .

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure I found your Jeep. If it's at Paramus, then they either have the wrong pics up or half the description is wrong. From the pics shown, it does not have: LED package, steel bumper, 8.4" Uconnect (has 7"), black badges, Alpine system, hood with air vents, etc. The window sticker seems to be right on the money with the exception of the listed tubular side steps. The pictured Jeep has the plastic running board style steps.
Hope that helps.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

you could get on the FCA page and pull up the full build sheet for the vin. ask them to take a picture of the vin from the jeep itself and send it to you. kinda weird to me.

OP
OP

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Pretty sure I found your Jeep. If it's at Paramus, then they either have the wrong pics up or half the description is wrong. From the pics shown, it does not have: LED package, steel bumper, 8.4" Uconnect (has 7"), black badges, Alpine system, hood with air vents, etc. The window sticker seems to be right on the money with the exception of the listed tubular side steps. The pictured Jeep has the plastic running board style steps.
Hope that helps.
Yup that is the one. That is what I thought as well. Thanks for looking into it. Really appreciated. The guy called me back and said, yeah, sorry about that, description is wrong, but it sold anyway. I just didn't have a chance to post back as I was in meeting.

Probably for the best, on to the next one now. Found one, but it have 32,000 miles on it. Just not sure I want to pull the trigger for one with 32,000 miles. The thing is, the sales guy I was talking to was amazing. This was at a BMW dealer, but he was a Jeep guy. I literally spoke to 10 dealerships in the last month or 2, and this BMW dealer knew EVERYTHING about Jeeps. I asked about the welds on the Jeep, he mentioned he checked it himself. I asked about the underbody, and before I could finish the question, he mentioned that it did no off roading as he checked. We were even talking about the lift that he had.

I actually wanna buy the car from this dealer, I just wish it had less miles. I mean, he knew more about Jeeps then even Jeep dealers that I spoke to.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Shop around out of state. You could end up with a new one instead of a used one for a grand or two more. I ended driving a total of ten hours round trip to pick up my jlus. Got my sport with the 6speed I was looking for with all the options minus one for about 5grand cheaper than anyone around my house

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Shop around out of state. You could end up with a new one instead of a used one for a grand or two more. I ended driving a total of ten hours round trip to pick up my jlus. Got my sport with the 6speed I was looking for with all the options minus one for about 5grand cheaper than anyone around my house
I’ve done that with many of my vehicles as well and had a heck of a lot of fun driving it home.

When I bought my Raptor I had narrowed down to three trucks on three lots in three states. Told all three dealerships in the same note that I was going to buy from one of them on 16 December 17. Whichever could give me the best truck at the best price with the best customer service wins. I wanted someone to work just as hard to earn my money as I did.

Worked out beautifully!