Sponsored

Been out of a Wrangler for 2 years. Ready to get back in. WANT 4 cyl. CHANGE MY MIND!

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Well you forgot that they stay at home in to their 30s and they finance from the mom pop bank without interest.
So then it's not the millennials buying the 2.0 if they arn't even the ones buying the Jeep at all. It's Mommy and Daddy boomer who bought the Jeep, and were tricked into the 2.0 by their freeloading child.

Yeah okay this is mostly right, stereotype and all. I don't need a car, but grew up loving them and offroading. This was my "I paid off student loans in 5 years" present to myself, but yeah, the Millennial me had to have most of the tech (minus the safety packages, I grew up using mirrors and driving stick in trucks).

And dude, you gotta try vaping.
I doubt there is a millennial alive that fits the stereotype I described, let alone someone who happens to be on this forum. Blaming the existence of the "wrong" engine on a specific generation helps some people cope with the changing world that they don't care to understand. I'm sure that fuel injection was blamed on those damn generation X kids, just like how rock-n-roll was blamed on the baby boomers.

No vaping for me, but I do enjoy avocado toast.
Sponsored

virginia_is_for_rubis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So then it's not the millennials buying the 2.0 if they arn't even the ones buying the Jeep at all. It's Mommy and Daddy boomer who bought the Jeep, and were tricked into the 2.0 by their freeloading child.

I doubt there is a millennial alive that fits the stereotype I described, let alone someone who happens to be on this forum. Blaming the existence of the "wrong" engine on a specific generation helps some people cope with the changing world that they don't care to understand. I'm sure that fuel injection was blamed on those damn generation X kids, just like how rock-n-roll was blamed on the baby boomers.

No vaping for me, but I do enjoy avocado toast.
I was joking about the vaping. But yeah, all the old timers in my Jeep club refuse to get the 2.0 because "the 3.6L is tried and tested"...sounds like my old man, still bitter than the 911 isn't air cooled any longer (and he doesn't even own one)

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
I was joking about the vaping. But yeah, all the old timers in my Jeep club refuse to get the 2.0 because "the 3.6L is tried and tested"...sounds like my old man, still bitter than the 911 isn't air cooled any longer (and he doesn't even own one)
That's pretty funny about the 911's. It's been 20 years, he needs to let that go. Curious how he feels about that Taycan?

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
If youā€™re worried about that small of a difference in fuel you probably shouldnā€™t be purchasing one of these.
That "small" difference is like 60 to 80 cents a gallon around here.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
That "small" difference is like 60 to 80 cents a gallon around here.
Once again, if you canā€™t afford that maybe people should buy something a bit more efficient.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
But yeah, all the old timers in my Jeep club refuse to get the 2.0 because "the 3.6L is tried and tested"
It's funny to me, because I consider the 3.6 to be one of the newer Jeep motors. Both the PUG 3.6 is and GME 2.0 are three years old, but reading these forums would make you think that the 3.6 is an iconic engine that will receive legendary status (like the 4.0, LS1, Slant 6, or 2JZ). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the 3.6 is a bad engine but I also am not saying that the 2.0 is bad either. Nobody really knows their longevity yet.

I guess it's all relative as to what you had when you entered the Jeep world. I bet many shunning the 2.0 probably only have history with JKs, so in their eyes it is the only choice. If they did come from a TJ, then I'm sure they didn't have warm feelings about the 3.8 in 2007, while others might still be pissed about a v6 in a Jeep. Even the CJ to YJ transition had the Jeep gate-keepers bitching and moaning about leaf springs. Why doesn't the JL have the gas tank under the drivers seat, like my CJ?

Back to the OP's question: get the 3.6 if you don't want to constantly read why you chose the wrong motor. The 2.0 really seems to rub some people the wrong way.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
In favor of the 2.0 Turbo, it's a "GME" ( Global Medium Engine) it's designed for the long haul.
I've had the 3.8, 3.6,in my JKs,both auto and manual, and love this fun , torquey motor.
The 4 cylinder Hurricane is a worthy 4 cylinder, named after it's Ancestor, in the long ago days before Jeeps became the must haves of the mass market.
The slightly higher price of admission, Premium fuel, is no different than paying for steak over meatloaf, it's either worth it, or not. To me, its worth it ; if you don't agree, fine, but trashing different choices because you don't get it, is kind of weak and petty.
Enjoy your JL, there's going to be at least 10 years of production, you can always try another combination...

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Both the PUG 3.6 and GME 2.0 are three years old
Donā€™t get me wrong as I do not consider the 3.6 to be ā€œtried and trueā€. But to be fair 2020 will be the 3.6 PUGā€™s 5th model year (it debuted in Grand Cherokee & Durango for 2016)

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Donā€™t get me wrong as I do not consider the 3.6 to be ā€œtried and trueā€. But to be fair 2020 will be the 3.6 PUGā€™s 5th model year (it debuted in Grand Cherokee & Durango for 2016)
Yeah, looks like my math was wrong. Either way, both the PUG 3.6 & GME 2.0 are roughly the same age. The GME 2.0 debuted in the Alfa Romeo Giulia for the 2016 model year also.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
I'm a 27 year old engineer who lives in a big city. I just bought my 4 door Rubicon in cash and haven't lived at home since I was 18. I also built up my '16 JK and did the reds and blacks across the east coast, and decided to get the turbo 2.0L because the other 90% of the time it's sitting in traffic. And the crawl ratio is more important than 3.6L vs 2.0L anyways. I test drove both (and owned the 3.6L before) and thought the 3.6L was smoother but the 2.0 had more pickup.

So, kindly, f*ck off on stereotyping people. If I wanted to stereotype, I'd mention how your generation worked up over $22 trillion in federal debt, caused global warming, destabilized the Middle East and caused my family and buddies to have to go over to clean it up, and has literally zero idea how any technology works. But I won't do that, since you apparently are smart enough to figure out how to operate a computer and post bullsh*t on an online forum.
lol you think you're an engineer but you make assumptions without a basis. Did I say they now simply hand out degrees just for turning up? Look in a mirror for proof.

Sponsored

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
The 3.6 engine is why I'm ordering my Wrangler today, it's NOT direct injection. Those opting for the 2.0 get ready to spend $$ on maintenance. I just sold my VW GTI which is a 2.0 turbo direct injected nightmare, I have had the intake manifold replaced 4 times over the life of the car. Some will say, "why, just clean it"? The process is labor intensive, so that's why, it paid to replace the intake and then pay to have the valves and top end of the motor cleaned. A four hour process in all, very expensive for someone that can't do the work themselves and are relying on the dealership for service. The DI motors are more expensive to manufacture, maintain and most require premium fuel which at 60 cents a gallon above makes a big difference especially when driving 3K a month in a aerodynamic brick of a Wrangler. FCA isn't offering this engine to the masses because it's better, they are making it because the government is forcing them to meet gas mileage minimums across the fleet of vehicles they sell. Finally, for the owners of the 2.0 engine, invest in a easy to empty catch can and a good mechanic you can trust or you will be spending lots of $$ at the dealership for sure. In all honesty and from my experience, dual injection is the way to go, Lexus and Ford have realized that fact, I have a dual injection engine in my Tacoma which is a V6 and I average 23 mpg now. I'm trading in the Tacoma for a Wrangler because parking a truck in and around NYC can be a headache at times. The Wrangler Rubicon fits my wants, desires and needs... End of rant.

grrnmo

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport 2 Door (2.0l)
Occupation
Teacher - Computer Systems
I'm 50...owned over 60 cars, and more than a half dozen Jeeps (2 Cjs, a handful of Cherokees, one of the first 2007 JKU's to come off the assembly line, and now "Geronimo Jr." - a 2019 JL 2-door with 2.0)...

I also like to build them up mildly, outfit them with simple safety features (CO2 tank, trail jack, CB, winch, etc)...and trail.

Had Geronimo a couple months now and love it in the city. Love it on the back roads. Love it on the highway. Love it on the trail. Love it in the rain. Love it in the sun. Don't mind the ESS, and adore the fuel economy...I do wish the front seats slid forward better with the neoprene covers on for the sake of those who can't just hop into the back seats to get there (like my 78 year old dad - but it's just an excuse for him to stay in the front!)...and I had to bungee the seatbelt straps when driving all summer with no top or doors due to the slapping noise...

So, to the OP - sorry, can't change your mind ;)...oh, get a catch can!

image.jpg

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
I just took delivery of a 2020 JLUR with the 2.0 - absolutely love it! Great torque off of the line, responsive, and frankly I hear more tire noise than engine noise in the first place so I can't say engine noise or lack therof would have changed anything.

I test drove the 2019 2.0T - my butt dyno cannot tell any difference from losing the mild hybrid on the 2020.