Sponsored

Been out of a Wrangler for 2 years. Ready to get back in. WANT 4 cyl. CHANGE MY MIND!

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Go for it! They even have a rebate on that 4 cylinder turd. I would say that the 4 is fine if you don't really want to off road it or crawl. Don't know how much boost you'll build crawling at low rpms.
That’s funny. I off-road my turd all the time. It does just fine. And it crawls at low rpms just great.
Not sure why you have to put something down just because you don’t own it or understand it. As far as wheeling and daily driving is concerned there is no competition with the V6. The V6 is an awesome motor, I have owned 3 of them. Nothing bad to say but it isn’t superior to this turd 4. This turd 4 will out perform the 6 everywhere. If the 6 had a turbo it would do the same. It’s got nothing to do with anything other than forced induction. Calm your bullshit. It makes you look stupid.
Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
3.6 cheaper fuel

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
3.6 cheaper fuel
If you’re worried about that small of a difference in fuel you probably shouldn’t be purchasing one of these.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
As far as wheeling and daily driving is concerned there is no competition with the V6. Nothing bad to say but it isn’t superior to this turd 4. This turd 4 will out perform the 6 everywhere. If the 6 had a turbo it would do the same.
I’m not understanding how there’s “no competition” between the two. The engines produce roughly the same power except at elevation. The constant exaggerations of the 2.0s performance is getting old. Running premium, which one should do to get the full potential of the turbo nullifies any gas savings over the 3.6. How is there no competition between the two?

From C&D

Unlimited Sahara 3.6

Curb weight: 4469 lb

Zero to 60 mph: 6.8 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 20.1 sec
Zero to 110 mph: 28.7 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 7.0 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.3 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 4.9 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 15.2 sec @ 90 mph

Unlimited Sahara 2.0 BSG

Curb weight: 4549 lb

Zero to 60 mph: 6.5 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 20.1 sec
Zero to 110 mph: 27.7 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 7.6 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.8 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 5.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 15.2 sec @ 90 mph

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The engines produce roughly the same power except at elevation. The constant exaggerations of the 2.0s performance is getting old.
The problem people are having is simply the 3.6 has a linear power delivery and the 2.0 is non-linear.

This makes the 2.0 feel faster and have more power on the butt-dyno

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Specs between the 3.6 and 2.0 or not so different I'll keep my JLUR 3.6.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
The problem people are having is simply the 3.6 has a linear power delivery and the 2.0 is non-linear.

This makes the 2.0 feel faster and have more power on the butt-dyno
The 2.0 feels faster when you are in boost. If your not in boost it doesn’t whereas the 3.6 feels more linear and always seems to pull.

As noted above the power between these two is very close in almost every measurable way. People can quote butt dyno all they want but anyone who thinks the 2.0 is “way faster” than a 3.6 is wrong, And that’s assuming your using premium gas in the 2,0.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
I know its out there. Check out this video and change my mind. My son thinks stick to what I know, I think mods and daily driving and think 2.0 all day. HELP!!!
Seems like more people who are new to Wranglers get the I4 and people who've had Wranglers get the V6 possibly because they're familiar with the V6.

The turbo small engines do what they say they do but the turbo 2.0 I4 is a heavily stressed engine being 45% smaller. Millennials who understand liberal arts more than physics think Snapchat and Twitter run on smaller and smaller microchips and therefore the same must be true for engines. Engines aren't semiconductors... these are moving mechanical machines with up to 12000 explosions taking place in within one minute... just the sound of the induction noise from an engine would make them :ontheloo: their pants. It would take a series of Techquickie videos done with sock puppets to make them understand how much of heat is generated in a 2.0 vs. a 3.6 when producing the same power and what heat dissipation implications are there for 4x500CC cylinders vs. 6x600CC cylinders.

Some people say there are lots of turbo I4s out there doing fine on the streets but you know very well that a Wrangler is made for more than any typical small/family vehicle can handle. Typical vehicles have 12-15% drivetrain loss but the Wrangler is in the order of 25% (the JK was worse) on stock wheels! Bigger wheels means this is going to be even worse because of unsprung mass. So, even before a Wrangler gets to move an inch, the engine has more work to do than in any other vehicle. And how would that engine feel when pushing a heavy brick on the highway vs. a more aerodynamic SUV or car made for performance/fuel economy? Take a look at how drag forces increase with respect to velocity... it's not pretty.

If you're comparing engines between vehicles, you should really look at engine options in heavy duty vehicles when deciding what suits a Wrangler. If you're mostly mall-crawling on a stock-ish Jeep, you might get away with a small engine with a turbo (I4).

Also, with FCA, you don't want to be the guinea pig testing out a new engine. The JL is "new" enough as is without the I4 engine, the wiring harness that runs underneath to a funky battery, etc.

Sure, go get the little turbo I4, but some of us just appreciate the simpler things in life :jk:

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
The turbo small engines do what they say they do but the I4 is a heavily stressed engine being 45% smaller. Millennials who understand liberal arts more than physics think Snapchat and Twitter run on smaller and smaller microchips and therefore the same must be true for engines. Engines aren't semiconductors... these are moving mechanical machines with up to 12000 explosions taking place in within one minute... just the sound of the induction noise from an engine would make them :ontheloo: their pants.
OK, I'll bite. If we are going to stereotype millennials, then you have to go all in and take into account that they have massive debt, are more likely to get rejected for loans, like living in big cities where a car is not needed and also don't like driving in general.

Since they like technology too, you can rule out the base trim level. They will be ordering their jeep with the Technology Group, Active Safety Group, Adaptive Cruise Control, Froward Collision Warning, and of course the 2.0 because reasons and they couldn't drive a stick-shift anyway. They will only get the Convenience Group for the remote-start capabilities, as the garage door opener is useless when you parking spot is at an apartment's carport. No need for the smoker's group; they only vape.

So you think that the typical mellennial Jeep buyer is s̶p̶e̶n̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ financing around $40,000 on a Wrangler?

Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
OK, I'll bite. If we are going to stereotype millennials, then you have to go all in and take into account that they have massive debt, are more likely to get rejected for loans, like living in big cities where a car is not needed and also don't like driving in general.

Since they like technology too, you can rule out the base trim level. They will be ordering their jeep with the Technology Group, Active Safety Group, Adaptive Cruise Control, Froward Collision Warning, and of course the 2.0 because reasons and they couldn't drive a stick-shift anyway. They will only get the Convenience Group for the remote-start capabilities, as the garage door opener is useless when you parking spot is at an apartment's carport. No need for the smoker's group; they only vape.

So you think that the typical mellennial Jeep buyer is s̶p̶e̶n̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ financing around $40,000 on a Wrangler?
Well you forgot that they stay at home in to their 30s and they finance from the mom pop bank without interest.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Get the 2.0 4 banger. I spent the last 10 year's driving a Mazdaspeed3 that for me was/is a sports car (20 years in the trucking Industry big and slow) so when I bought my 2018 JLU Sahara I was concerned about acceleration. I should not have been, because for the size and weight of the JLU it is outstanding. Yeah if I had deep pockets I'd have a Moab all jacked up with a Hemi. I'm very happy that I got the 4.
Did you test drive one with a 3.6L in it? That thing will jump off the line. I've never been in a 2.0L one but that V6 will jump off the line and when you are driving normal and then punch it it moves.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

ROTFLMAO!!!!

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
So much emphasis on what is faster in a 4,500lb brick that turns 15s in the 1/4 mile. That is laughable fyi in case you have never been involved in the "fast" car scene. Hell 11's in the 1/4mile will get you a "that's cute" from car guys. Its a fun, relaxing vehicle to own and drive and the last thing i want to do in it is street race.

If your going to own it long term go with the v6. If you are leasing or rotate cars every 3 - 5 years or so who cares. Any problems will be someone else's by then.

virginia_is_for_rubis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Well you forgot that they stay at home in to their 30s and they finance from the mom pop bank without interest.
I'm a 27 year old engineer who lives in a big city. I just bought my 4 door Rubicon in cash and haven't lived at home since I was 18. I also built up my '16 JK and did the reds and blacks across the east coast, and decided to get the turbo 2.0L because the other 90% of the time it's sitting in traffic. And the crawl ratio is more important than 3.6L vs 2.0L anyways. I test drove both (and owned the 3.6L before) and thought the 3.6L was smoother but the 2.0 had more pickup.

So, kindly, f*ck off on stereotyping people. If I wanted to stereotype, I'd mention how your generation worked up over $22 trillion in federal debt, caused global warming, destabilized the Middle East and caused my family and buddies to have to go over to clean it up, and has literally zero idea how any technology works. But I won't do that, since you apparently are smart enough to figure out how to operate a computer and post bullsh*t on an online forum.

Yeah okay this is mostly right, stereotype and all. I don't need a car, but grew up loving them and offroading. This was my "I paid off student loans in 5 years" present to myself, but yeah, the Millennial me had to have most of the tech (minus the safety packages, I grew up using mirrors and driving stick in trucks).

And dude, you gotta try vaping.
Sponsored

Last edited: