Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the trip report . Looks like you had fun and glad to hear the Sahara went so well . I live in Queensland Australia and have been waiting 7 months for my Sahara ( called an Overland here in Oz) to arrive . We have a big trip planned mid next year around the red centre of Australia where the JL will get to prove itself .
I think you will really enjoy the trip Kevin. As I said we were quite surprised at the comfort over a long haul in the Jeep. So, with comfort, and the ability to go just about anywhere that's allowed you can't go wrong with a JL. I hope your's arrives soon. We all know that "the waiting is the hardest part". (With respect to the late Tom Petty). :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like you had a great trip. Very cool, from a retired LEO and Marine Corps veteran.
Al, we've been on quite a few long road trips brother, several in our Corvette. But, I will say that this one in the JL rates right at the top.

And, thank you for your service Marine.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Just got back from a trip to the Smoky Mountains (we flew), and seriously thinking next time we go back I'm driving my Jeep from Texas.
Alex, I live approx. 2 1/2 hrs from the Smokey's (North Carolina side). I haven't had a chance to find them, but I'm told there are a lot of fire line and power line roads just off of the Blue Ridge Parkway that you can use.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I live approx. 2 1/2 hrs from the Smokey's (North Carolina side). I haven't had a chance to find them, but I'm told there are a lot of fire line roads and power line roads just off of the Blue Ridge Parkway that you can use.
When you find them, let me know:like: We live just North of Cincinnati, so it's a 6 hour drive for us. We usually hot GSMNP at least 3 times a year, but really have never searched for the forest roads.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
When you find them, let me know:like: We live just North of Cincinnati, so it's a 6 hour drive for us. We usually hot GSMNP at least 3 times a year, but really have never searched for the forest roads.

Will do Brandy. Buy this time of the year we usually would have been that way a couple times. I don't know what's happened this year. I guess being retirement is busier than I thought it would be.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
@GreyFox. Brandy, I have a questions as you are an experienced Jeeper. As you know these things are bug killing machines. I have Expel on the grill, and front fender that keeps them off the paint which helps. But there are so many nooks, and crannies the guts can get into. It took me forever to get the front of mine clean when I got home. Do you know of a cover (like the Novistretch bra for sports cars like the Corvette, Mustangs, etc) made of a stretchy material that we can use. I know they make the vinyl bras, but I've used those on a couple of my cars in the past. But, they get dirt, grime, and even dead bugs under them as you travel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW, I've contacted Novistretch. They say they don't have any designs in the works for Wranglers. So, I implored them to consider making one as there are more Jeeps on the road than Corvettes. I don't think it worked though. :)

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
@GreyFox. Brandy, I have a questions as you are an experienced Jeeper. As you know these things are bug killing machines. I have Expel on the grill, and front fender that keeps them off the paint which helps. But there are so many nooks, and crannies the guts can get into. It took me forever to get the front of mine clean when I got home. Do you know of a cover (like the Novistretch bra for sports cars like the Corvette, Mustangs, etc) made of a stretchy material that we can use. I know they make the vinyl bras, but I've used those on a couple of my cars in the past. But, they get dirt, grime, and even dead bugs under them as you travel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW, I've contacted Novistretch. They say they don't have any designs in the works for Wranglers. So, I implored them to consider making one as there are more Jeeps on the road than Corvettes. I don't think it worked though. :)
I had great success on my TJ with the bug deflector. And I need to get something for the JKU and JL. My husband just hasn't decided if he wants a bra for his JKU yet or a deflective device. I have only seen a few defectors. The aeroskin with amber marker lights looks sweet, imo. This might be interesting, but I have had no experience with it. https://armorautoparts.com/products/82215369-jeep-mopar-hood-cover?variant=29564580986958&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwb3rBRDrARIsALR3XeagRDsDzh0JO-hpXoh6GsWRHy9Jpmc-qgIM_oGJFxjoU-5fHpZY0BsaAjEtEALw_wcB.

Here's the aeroskin link https://www.quadratec.com/p/autoven...M6nsLbDy2HwIobfCcua_oASMQE21N4JsaAicUEALw_wcB

I really want that aeroskin myself:like:

Memphis Peej

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, Acura TSX, 2019 Moab!!!
I'm curious about your MPG. What kind of tires do you have? I'd love to get that kind of milage.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious about your MPG. What kind of tires do you have? I'd love to get that kind of milage.
It's got the factory Bridgestone AT's on it PJ. The Sahara come with 3.45 rear gearing. That may be the difference between our JL's.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I had great success on my TJ with the bug deflector. And I need to get something for the JKU and JL. My husband just hasn't decided if he wants a bra for his JKU yet or a deflective device. I have only seen a few defectors. The aeroskin with amber marker lights looks sweet, imo. This might be interesting, but I have had no experience with it. https://armorautoparts.com/products/82215369-jeep-mopar-hood-cover?variant=29564580986958&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwb3rBRDrARIsALR3XeagRDsDzh0JO-hpXoh6GsWRHy9Jpmc-qgIM_oGJFxjoU-5fHpZY0BsaAjEtEALw_wcB.

Here's the aeroskin link https://www.quadratec.com/p/autoven...M6nsLbDy2HwIobfCcua_oASMQE21N4JsaAicUEALw_wcB

I really want that aeroskin myself:like:
Thanks for the links Brandy. I really wish someone made a removable bug deflector. I would buy one of those in a heartbeat. I just wouldn't want it on the front all of the time.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Thanks for the links Brandy. I really wish someone made a removable bug deflector. I would buy one of those in a heartbeat. I just wouldn't want it on the front all of the time.
Hmm I want to say weather tech makes a removable one???

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
One complaint I have on long trips is the lack of places to put things like snacks. My cell phone is normally in a cup holder, but it I have a drink my cell gets put in the pocket on top of the dash. Now I'm left with no place for my Skittles!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
One complaint I have on long trips is the lack of places to put things like snacks. My cell phone is normally in a cup holder, but it I have a drink it get put in the pocket on top of the dash. Now I'm left with no place for my Skittles!
The horror, the horror......;):)
Sponsored