Sponsored

Steering damper recall notice today on my Jeep

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
By upside down - I mean it just needs to rotate 180deg. If someone was able to install backwards then they get a darwin award.

Upside down like this one:
img_7915-jpg.jpg

And I am a hayseed not a cowboy...
Sponsored

jloyva

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Wrangler JL Sport S, Victory Touring Cruiser, Kia Sorento
Occupation
Project Manaager
They install the stock stabilizer backwards, if they install it properly it won't fit because of the rock guard. welcome to Fiat.
There's no such thing as upside down on a steering damper, but there is backwards. The way they install it the cylinder does the pushing rather than the rod putting undue force on the damper. Furthermore, that was my first post COWBOY!
I'll give this a shot. The new damper is identical to the old damper with one difference being a tiny bulge on the tie rod bracket end. So if the old damper fits then the new damper will fit as well. Mine was installed in the same orientation as the old one, only upside down. The damper was supposed to be installed with the sticker facing down, mine was installed facing up.

damper.jpg

guichjeep

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 sahara
I call the tiny bulge a defect, you could be replacing one defective damper with another. Time will tell.

jloyva

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manaager
I call the tiny bulge a defect, you could be replacing one defective damper with another. Time will tell.
Yes time will tell, but the design concept is sound, the bulge is to allow the oil to move more freely to stop vibration quicker.

Sponsored

Bee-Rad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
I just got the V41 recall service today and I could immediately tell the difference. Steering at low speeds feels firmer with a little more force needed to turn the wheel. At highway speeds every little bump no longer requires steering correction.

I highly recommend anyone with flighty steering or lots of correction needed at highway speeds get this done!

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Reading all these pages....I'm on the fence, Jeep drives fine, dealership has bad rep on reviews on line / however - I heard they had a big shake-up from the owner so maybe they are ok? Or should I just spend $150 and get a Fox stabilizer?

jloyva

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manaager

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
I will definitely do it..too bad the dealership claims they cant get the part

guichjeep

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 sahara
I didn't see where the bulge was the fix. You can buy a good HD damper for 60 to 100 dollars. I think that's the best way to go.

Last edited:

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Reading all these pages....I'm on the fence, Jeep drives fine, dealership has bad rep on reviews on line / however - I heard they had a big shake-up from the owner so maybe they are ok? Or should I just spend $150 and get a Fox stabilizer?
It's a difficult question to answer. I had no problems, but I didn't like the way the steering felt and a phrase such as "death wobble" is problematic in itself. Prior to knowing about the recall, I replaced with the Fox ATS and noticed a difference for the better.

If it ain't broke, don't break it. You can see a good number of owners are having shoddy and questionable work done by "mechanics" who should know better. There seems to be little care for the vehicles they're servicing.

Maybe consider getting the work done, and if steering feels worse, go with the Fox. Or you can just not have it done & either keep the original or replace with the Fox. It's not sage, sound advice, but you have options.

MrSahara19

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Unlimited, 2017 Toyota Highlander
I had my V41 recall done Thursday and didn’t notice any difference. I do have steering issues—wandering and looseness.
I don't know any better but is this for the death wobble too? Anyway I had the steering damper done this past weekend and got on the highway today (not a highway daily driver at all) and to backtrack when I first purchased the Jeep at around 70mph there was a noticeable shudder - however I am excited to say today was doing about 80-90 and never even realized how fast I was going because it was so freaking buttery smooth!! And the wondering well it feels more centered if that makes sense no more boat side to side wondering if its me or my driving skills

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
My .S.A. saw my fox 2.0 and told me stick with it.

guichjeep

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 sahara
If they can't machine a part nowadays to look perfect, even tho it might be a piece of crap, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole [so to speak].
Hecho en Mexico!
Sponsored