Sponsored

What do I need to know before putting a JL Rubicon Suspension on my JL Sport S.

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
On the Rubi takeoffs I picked up the front passenger side is 2 up from the front driver side. Everything I have seen says they would be 1 up.

Front Driver 68253659AB (check)
Front Passenger 68253660AB (I have 3661AB)

Does anyone have a list of the Rubi spring number possibilities?
Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I believe my front springs are 3659AC and 3661AC, so difference of 2.
I can check tomorrow to be certain.

DesertRat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4 Door Sport S 2020 JT Sport S
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
@acoz8; I can’t tell you for sure how many different spring part numbers there are, but there are several. I don’t think the differences will amount to a huge height difference...but your best bet for lift would be to find a set of springs and shocks that came off of a JLUR with hardtop and steel bumper package. And you should also be aware that the springs are different lengths on driver and passenger. If my memory serves me correctly, the passenger side is the longer spring.

11) the alignment nubs on the top spring isolators will no longer be correct...you’ll have to trim it off

12) find and watch all the videos you can on installing a spring lift/swapping Rubi springs...usually videos for 2” spring lifts will use similar instructions as this swap.

13) a good ratchet swivel and extensions are a huge help to get to some of the tighter places

14) if I think of any thing else, I’ll edit this to add to it and everyone, if I have made a mistake or you have something to add, I ask that you politely let me know so I can make edits. Happy Jeepin’!!! :jk:

Can that be clarified? Thanks!

Ron

Mudawg10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Can that be clarified? Thanks!

Ron
The isolators have rubber nubs that line up into a small hole so you know the suspension is lined up correctly. I didn’t have to trim mine off though? I thought the rubicon and JL had the same isolator part numbers.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@DesertRat @Mudawg10; so admittedly I didn’t check beforehand and it’s kind of hard to explain without some springs to show, but I’ll try my best here. Let’s say theoretically each coil of the both non-rubicon and rubicon springs is equal to 1 inch in height. Let’s say that the rubicon springs are 2 inches taller...therefore they would have EXACTLY 2 more coils than the non-rubicon springs. This would mean that the ends of the springs line up perfectly. Now the isolators are not the same thickness all the way around because the ends of your spring are not flat. There is a definite “notch” in both the isolators where the end of the spring sets and the spring can evenly spread load across the entire isolator. If the end of the spring doesn’t sit in this notch properly, the spring then puts all its load essentially on a single point on the isolator and the mount that the isolator sits on. So in our hypothetical example, since the ends line up perfectly, the isolators would not need trimming because as mudawg10 said, the nubs would still line up in the alignment hole on the top mount.

With that being said...I didn’t check, but all the additional engineering that would go into changing spring rates and spring pitch to ensure that all of the ends line up perfectly would probably not be worth it...there are already 4 different springs on your Jeep...not to mention several different combinations of springs to make your set of 4...I figure changing the isolators would be the cheaper option...but I can’t confirm that...maybe mudawg is right and the isolators are all the same part number...which would mean all the isolators would use the same alignment holes regardless of which stock spring you used. With a quick google search it appears that they are universal across the different springs... So while trimming may not be necessary...it doesn’t hurt anything if you do it. Take a look at your springs side by side and see if both ends of the springs line up...if they do...no need to trim...if they don’t...you’ll have to trim.

I’ll edit my original post to note that trimming may not be necessary. :like:

Sponsored

DesertRat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4 Door Sport S 2020 JT Sport S
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
@DesertRat @Mudawg10; so admittedly I didn’t check beforehand and it’s kind of hard to explain without some springs to show, but I’ll try my best here. Let’s say theoretically each coil of the both non-rubicon and rubicon springs is equal to 1 inch in height. Let’s say that the rubicon springs are 2 inches taller...therefore they would have EXACTLY 2 more coils than the non-rubicon springs. This would mean that the ends of the springs line up perfectly. Now the isolators are not the same thickness all the way around because the ends of your spring are not flat. There is a definite “notch” in both the isolators where the end of the spring sets and the spring can evenly spread load across the entire isolator. If the end of the spring doesn’t sit in this notch properly, the spring then puts all its load essentially on a single point on the isolator and the mount that the isolator sits on. So in our hypothetical example, since the ends line up perfectly, the isolators would not need trimming because as mudawg10 said, the nubs would still line up in the alignment hole on the top mount.

With that being said...I didn’t check, but all the additional engineering that would go into changing spring rates and spring pitch to ensure that all of the ends line up perfectly would probably not be worth it...there are already 4 different springs on your Jeep...not to mention several different combinations of springs to make your set of 4...I figure changing the isolators would be the cheaper option...but I can’t confirm that...maybe mudawg is right and the isolators are all the same part number...which would mean all the isolators would use the same alignment holes regardless of which stock spring you used. With a quick google search it appears that they are universal across the different springs... So while trimming may not be necessary...it doesn’t hurt anything if you do it. Take a look at your springs side by side and see if both ends of the springs line up...if they do...no need to trim...if they don’t...you’ll have to trim.

I’ll edit my original post to note that trimming may not be necessary. :like:

Thanks @TA1ton and @Mudawg10 . I have been sitting on a set of Rubicon springs, shocks, and links for a few weeks. The spring part # delta for the rear is +4 and the front is +3. If I have understood most of the posts, that could give me a 1-sh inch lift. Please correct if wrong.

I have been debating doing this or just paying paying $1.3k for an AEV 2.5 inch lift, or maybe a cheaper Rancho. Sigh..... Just...don't...know!

Mudawg10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Thanks @TA1ton and @Mudawg10 . I have been sitting on a set of Rubicon springs, shocks, and links for a few weeks. The spring part # delta for the rear is +4 and the front is +3. If I have understood most of the posts, that could give me a 1-sh inch lift. Please correct if wrong.

I have been debating doing this or just paying paying $1.3k for an AEV 2.5 inch lift, or maybe a cheaper Rancho. Sigh..... Just...don't...know!
Safe to say you will get around a 1.5 lift. I’m really happy with it and 33s on my jlus

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@DesertRat; as mudawg stated...1.5 inches of lift is a safe assumption...I got just a hair over 1.5 inches...

Mudawg10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
One thing I found helpful was turning the wheel all the way to the right to get a good spot for the jack stands up front. I have larger jack stands so it was tough to get a good spot for them to rest on before I turned the wheel.

Quest

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Swapped Unlimited Rubicon take-off springs/shocks into my Unlimited Sport. My Sport came with tow package, hard top and plastic bumpers. It is all original except the aluminum front bumper (this weighs about the same as the factory plastic bumper).

I took accurate measurements pre/post installation. This conversion gave me 2” of lift in the front and 1.5” of lift in the rear. After lots of reading on the subject it seemed that each increase/decrease in the factory spring number would provide about .5” of change in height. Higher number equals taller spring. This held true for my installation. Original spring and rubi spring numbers are below. NOTE: Adding 80 pounds of winch will drop the front about 1/8 of an inch with the springs/shocks I used.

The only components I changed were the springs and shocks. Again, after lots of reading the control arms and sway bar links are the same across the Sport, Sahara and Rubicon models unless there has been some additional lifting.

The road test…I really liked the original springs/shocks better on the road and I like the Rubi springs/shocks better off road. Originals were more responsive on the road and felt sporty. Off road the original spring/shocks beat you up, making 2 hours of deer scouting feel like a whole day in my stock Silverado Z71. With the Rubi shocks/springs road driving is softer and not as fun. Off road Rubi shocks/springs are great and much more forgiving. Unless I stop hunting/fishing/exploring I will be keeping the Rubi parts as they good compromise for my usage…daily driver and off road dozens of times each year.

Original springs:

· Front springs

o Passenger: 3658AC

o Driver 3657AC

· Rear Springs

o Passenger: 3589AA

o Driver: 3588AA

Rubicon springs:

· Front springs

o 3661AC 61-57=+4
3662AC 62-58=+4

· Rear springs

o 3591AA 91-88=+3
3592AA 92-89=+3

Sponsored

Snowshoes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ZJ 5.2 / 2018 JL 3.6
I see many are not loosening the control arms bolts but don't you need to loosen and re tighten them as you lift 1.5 inches overall?

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Cherokee, 93 Wrangler, 19 Wrangler
I'm gonna throw this out there to help muddy the waters:

Putting Rubicon 4-door springs on a 2-door Rubicon does not necessarily add any lift.

I have a 2019 2-door Rubicon, hardtop, steel bumper group, v6, and tow package. I took springs from a 2018 Rubicon 4-door with the same options. The rear springs were stiffer for the 4-door, but the front springs were softer. Comparing spring for spring, all matched in height unloaded. Comparing spring for spring, the rear 4-door springs were 0.01" thicker wire diameter, while the front 4-door springs were 0.02" THINNER wire diameter.

I cant say for certain what these springs do for lift, as the 4-door ones I took were heavily used and settled, I am sure. My stock springs have less than 2k miles on them. The 4-door springs lowered my rig in the front, but the rear ended up the same.

Ill try my best to post part numbers, but the 2-door spring part numbers are entirely different than the 4-door number.

My part numbers (2019 Rubicon, steel bumper group, tow package, v6, hardtop):
68249114AA / 115AA
68250231AC / 232AC

Ill post the 4-door part numbers when I get a chance.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
I did mine this weekend including the LCA’s from the 2” Mopar Kit. I will say none of it was terribly hard but for me it took much longer than I expected. Removing the LCA’s was a huge PITA and one of them started to strip so I will need a shop to do swap it for me.

The rear went smoothly, I would say it took me about 45 mins to an hour per rear corner but a good 2+ hours per front corner. Yes I was being meticulous and taking my time, but with jack stands and hand tools it can take awhile.

Again nothing hard about it but when people say this is a 2-3 hour job they either have a lift and power tools or an extra set of hands. Or they have done this before.

I would guess it took me a solid 7+ hours.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I see many are not loosening the control arms bolts but don't you need to loosen and re tighten them as you lift 1.5 inches overall?
I may have missed the answer to this question. If we're just swapping springs and shocks only, do we need to touch the LCA bolts? Also, it seems like some people are not messing with the track bar either.

What is the recommendation?

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
I did mine this weekend including the LCA’s from the 2” Mopar Kit. I will say none of it was terribly hard but for me it took much longer than I expected. Removing the LCA’s was a huge PITA and one of them started to strip so I will need a shop to do swap it for me.

The rear went smoothly, I would say it took me about 45 mins to an hour per rear corner but a good 2+ hours per front corner. Yes I was being meticulous and taking my time, but with jack stands and hand tools it can take awhile.

Again nothing hard about it but when people say this is a 2-3 hour job they either have a lift and power tools or an extra set of hands. Or they have done this before.

I would guess it took me a solid 7+ hours.
me too, over 2 day sessions with my brother.
Sponsored