Omg help messed up my door hinge torx bolt

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
No. With the paint a T50 will feel close. Just because it worked doesn't mean you used the right size socket. They are definitely all T55. There is no way you could ever get a T55 bit in a T60 bolt.
I hammered in my T50, it is super snug.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I hammered in my T50, it is super snug.
Look man, I'm not going to keep going around in circles with you on this. If you'd like to think that they are T50, then by all means. My problem is that you are giving others bad information. A torx bolt filled with paint can seem like 1 or even 2 sizes smaller than what they are. If the bolt is really tight, using the wrong size bit is a recipe for disaster, as witnessed by several others on this site. Using a hammer driven impact driver with the proper torx bit is the best way to remove bolts like these. it doesn't help that Smittbuilt is also giving poor instructions with their parts.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
So how did I remove mine just fine with T50 then? Are Jeep secretly building some doors with T55 bolts? You probably stripped the bejesus out of your bolts.
Didn’t even chip the paint. A T-50 will grab onto just enough of the head, but it will not fit properly. Just accept that you used the wrong tool, and stop telling others to do the same. There are several threads here of this exact problem happening, and every single time it’s from using a T-50 instead of a T-55. Usually, the T-50 intended for the other door hinge bolts that are removed to remove the door, provided by Jeep. Shit happens.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Didn’t even chip the paint. A T-50 will grab onto just enough of the head, but it will not fit properly. Just accept that you used the wrong tool, and stop telling others to do the same. There are several threads here of this exact problem happening, and every single time it’s from using a T-50 instead of a T-55. Usually, the T-50 intended for the other door hinge bolts that are removed to remove the door, provided by Jeep. Shit happens.
Hell, now I went back and looked, They're not all T-55. Even the drawings that I can find on the JL don't match up.

I guess the only lesson to be learned for certain is don't use the shitty bit provided by Jeep.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Hell, now I went back and looked, They're not all T-55. Even the drawings that I can find on the JL don't match up.

I guess the only lesson to be learned for certain is don't use the shitty bit provided by Jeep.
Cleared this up for everyone, it does appear that it’s T50 in the doors and T55 in tailgate hinge, putting this out there so some poor soul don’t accidentally jam their T55 into the door and fuck up their bolt because of misinformation throwing about.

I am holding the T50 torx head.

D0FF13F6-C5B6-437C-9B90-824CAD5D160B.jpeg

85F31C5E-F435-41E2-ABD3-4AD7556C49DE.jpeg

883A9C7B-CEF2-4B2B-867D-AEC41C13175F.jpeg

8BC2C72A-F0DF-4189-982A-D8FFFB771181.jpeg

Last edited:

joeyjoejoe285

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara - Granite Crystal Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
It's unfortunate that this descended into who's right and who's wrong. All I was looking for was help on getting the broken bit out of my bolt. Any info out there on how would be welcomed - thanks!! Peace and love all :like: :flag:

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
It's unfortunate that this descended into who's right and who's wrong. All I was looking for was help on getting the broken bit out of my bolt. Any info out there on how would be welcomed - thanks!! Peace and love all :like: :flag:
Try holding a soldering iron to the broken part. Heat should shrink it slightly and loosen it up.

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Your answer is already posted several times through this thread, it’s going to take a drill, a screw extractor, and a steady hand, and you still might end up damaging your paint more. It’s not a fun task. A body shop would likely do a better job is you don’t know what to do, at a price.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I would try using a pick and a hammer, tapping the pick on the star points to see if that loosens it. You could also try a utility knife, working the point of the blade between the bit and the bolt head to try and pry the bit out.

Sponsored

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Ok, so I'm the latest victim. Just like @joeyjoejoe285, my Torx bit broke off in the bolt. It took a good 40 minutes to drill it out, and now I still can't get the bolt out. It's not damaged, just seized. I'll try with another bit tonight. All of the bolts were hard to remove.

IMG_20190829_084004.jpg

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
Why the heck are you all unscrewing these...must be a really awesome thing you want to bolt on there. You can tell by looking at it beforehand that there is a high probability of the paint sealing the bolt in and/or messing up the paint on your hinge if you can get it off at all

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so I'm the latest victim. Just like @joeyjoejoe285, my Torx bit broke off in the bolt. It took a good 40 minutes to drill it out, and now I still can't get the bolt out. It's not damaged, just seized. I'll try with another bit tonight. All of the bolts were hard to remove.

IMG_20190829_084004.jpg
You used a T55 and this is the rear door hinge?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

IMG_20190829_084004.jpg
By the looks of it you didn’t hammer in the T50 before un-torquing it. There should not be any strip marks if it was hammered all the way in.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
By the looks of it you didn’t hammer in the T50 before un-torquing it. There should not be any strip marks if it was hammered all the way in.
Forget about the marks on the right bolt, it's the bit broken off in the left one that's the issue! That bolt is tight!
Sponsored