Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Well gents of the forum.......it happened today. I met up with Steve @Mishimoto to get to the bottom of some issues I have had.

Without going into great detail to ensure I don't violate the agreement I have with them.......its NOT the catch can, but the S&B intake causing the P1CEA CEL code. Clearly I should have waited, but I get impatient. The Mishi team found a engineering issue/flaw in R&D that S&B has clearly missed. Again, once the time comes, I'm sure Steve will further elaborate, but thats not my place.

I'll end with this........Mishimoto is on their A game and I'm very impressed. It was a about 85 miles up and 85 miles back........NO CEL.

Oh and what good is this post without some pictures......I know Steve's team took a bunch too. I snagged a pic of Steve checking my catch can (NOTE: everything with the product and install was on point)

Mishimoto visit.jpg

Steve at work.jpg
Sponsored

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
Well gents of the forum.......it happened today. I met up with Steve @Mishimoto to get to the bottom of some issues I have had.

Without going into great detail to ensure I don't violate the agreement I have with them.......its NOT the catch can, but the S&B intake causing the P1CEA CEL code. Clearly I should have waited, but I get impatient. The Mishi team found a engineering issue/flaw in R&D that S&B has clearly missed. Again, once the time comes, I'm sure Steve will further elaborate, but thats not my place.

I'll end with this........Mishimoto is on their A game and I'm very impressed. It was a about 85 miles up and 85 miles back........NO CEL.

Oh and what good is this post without some pictures......I know Steve's team took a bunch too. I snagged a pic of Steve checking my catch can (NOTE: everything with the product and install was on point)
Thinking of replacing your intake or were they able to fix yours? (i have a problem with restraint as well)

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Thinking of replacing your intake or were they able to fix yours? (i have a problem with restraint as well)
I will say this and nothing more at the moment......... I did not reinstall the factory intake and the S&B intake is now in my garage.

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will say this and nothing more at the moment......... I did not reinstall the factory intake and the S&B intake is now in my garage.
LOL, Rodger that.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Rub-ISH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 2.0t, 22 Volvo XC60 T8 ER, 06 Audi A3
They gave you a beta of the Mishimoto intake is how this reads to me...Glad they were able to help regardless of how it was rectified! From all my years of tuning various vehicles I’ve always found the best products come from the people that go the extra mile to address concerns...especially on new platforms. Nothing worse then arrogant aftermarket parts people. Relieved to see that Mishimoto is all the way above board... good luck with you CEL...

Now lets just get the results from the above 4000 feet theory

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Can't beat that.
Nope, super stoked.

I'm going to log about 1000 miles of real world driving, report back. Thus far its looking like a winning combination.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
They gave you a beta of the Mishimoto intake is how this reads to me...Glad they were able to help regardless of how it was rectified! From all my years of tuning various vehicles I’ve always found the best products come from the people that go the extra mile to address concerns...especially on new platforms. Nothing worse then arrogant aftermarket parts people. Relieved to see that Mishimoto is all the way above board... good luck with you CEL...

Now lets just get the results from the above 4000 feet theory
I won't confirm nor deny.....but they're on it.

We spent a decent amount of time today discussing the evelation issue. One issue discussed was the thresehold of the sensors themselves; I have run into this issue with tuning on GM trucks.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Interesting. I just did 90 miles with stock intake back on and oil catch can and CEL has tripped 3 times in that period with clearing/reset in between. This was at about sea level the entire time.

I now have oil catch bypassed with factory vent tube and so far all clean but need another 50 miles or so to be fair and state it’s the oil catch can that is the problem for me.

As we see several other stock engine owners having issues it seems some unknowns still exist.

I think I will just take it off and leave stock as my service advisor has already told me FCA has enquired about the status of my vehicle the last time it was in due to the phone home codes. Big brother is watching......

Sponsored

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i
Interesting. I just did 90 miles with stock intake back on and oil catch can and CEL has tripped 3 times in that period with clearing/reset in between. This was at about sea level the entire time.

I now have oil catch bypassed with factory vent tube and so far all clean but need another 50 miles or so to be fair and state it’s the oil catch can that is the problem for me.

As we see several other stock engine owners having issues it seems some unknowns still exist.

I think I will just take it off and leave stock as my service advisor has already told me FCA has enquired about the status of my vehicle the last time it was in due to the phone home codes. Big brother is watching......
I have over 1000 miles on my catch can now. Stock intake, sea level and have had 0 problems.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
i

I have over 1000 miles on my catch can now. Stock intake, sea level and have had 0 problems.
Yeah, this is why I say still some unknowns as it's not as simple as "low altitude is no problems; high altitude is problems" so could even be some other option that modifies the tolerances.

Do those having the CEL have the tow package? I do.

Do those having the CEL run with ESS disabled? I don't.

All these things could be somehow interacting.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL

Thanks Jeremy; It was great to meet and work with you! I'm glad that it's been CEL-free so far, just let us know if anything changes!

Are you having the "P1CEA - EVAP Purge System Performance" code with the stock intake, or a different code? P1CEA is the code we've seen with the S&B intake and our catch can - I haven't seen that code from a customer that had our can but didn't have an aftermarket intake, so I'd be curious to check out some live data if you're still getting it with the stock intake.

The code that we've seen with altitude is the "P2C90 - Crankcase Ventilation System - Hose "A" Disconnected" - That's the same code we had when our can was posing too much of a restriction and the pressure at the crankcase pressure sensor was too low. We're still working on figuring out why altitude would be causing that code. @4x4Tyrant @jwalt any updates on running the can without the filter?

Thanks!
-Steve

Last edited:

4x4Tyrant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
Thanks Jeremy; It was great to meet and work with you! I'm glad that it's been CEL-free so far, just let us know if anything changes!

Are you having the "P1CEA - EVAP Purge System Performance" code with the stock intake, or a different code? P1CEA is the code we've seen with the S&B intake and our catch can - I haven't seen that code from a customer that had our can but didn't have an aftermarket intake, so I'd be curious to check out some live data if you're still getting it with the stock intake.

The code that we've seen with altitude is the "P2C90 - Crankcase Ventilation System - Hose "A" Disconnected" - That's the same code we had when our can was posing too much of a restriction and the pressure at the crankcase pressure sensor was too low. We're still working on figuring out why altitude would be causing that code. @4x4Tyrant @jwalt any updates on running the can without the filter?

Thanks!
-Steve
So far so good. Checked with a code reader today to see if anything was "pending" and no codes. This weekend we will be doing some driving and offroading at around 8000ft so I'll update you again tuesday if any light comes on.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.