Sponsored

Oil change at dealer. 5 vs 6 quarts. Not a repeat thread. LOOK!

Rosco1983

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Ummmm... NO. An engine in very good shape should not burn .5 qts every 5K unless you are beating the heck out of it and reving the engine very hard to redline. 37k miles on the Jeep and 5qts puts it at the top of the hash and 3k - 6k later it's still right at the top of the hash.
If you are not using oil at all then you probably put to much in. If you have added a oul canister it will show you just how much oil you use. If you dont have one it just burns off as it goes threw your intake. Ask someone that has one and they will tell you. There are videos on it
Sponsored

Rosco1983

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Honestly I don't understand why there are dealers out there out of the loop. I just had my wife's Jeep JLU Sahara and my Jeep JLU Rubicon serviced with oil changes, rotated tires and of course the V41 steering damper change. On both invoices (hope to attach a photo) you can clearly see 5 quarts of #68283520AA Oil 0w20 on both. Also, I checked both dipsticks and it's right where it should be on both. Please enlarge the image and you can see both invoices. The service manager showed me that the order is created and by the VIN he selects it prints the service order showing to use 5 quarts and 1 oil filter. What the hell are the other dealers using, cocktail napkins to figure it out?

Please feel free to print and show your dealers that there is at least one dealer doing this correctly!

Good luck,
Charlie

jeepservice.jpg
It may only be 5 qts instead of 5.5 or 6 but it all depends on how much oil they get out when they drain it. A lot has to do with the temp of the oil when its drained. As long as your dipstick reads full you are ok.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
If you are not using oil at all then you probably put to much in. If you have added a oul canister it will show you just how much oil you use. If you dont have one it just burns off as it goes threw your intake. Ask someone that has one and they will tell you. There are videos on it
I can't believe I am even entertaining this discussion... I know and have had an oil canister/catch can and you do not dump .5qt of oil out of that thing every 3k miles. Oil catch cans are small and that's because they don't catch a half qt of oil in 3k miles, it's a fraction of that... i.e. it won't show up on your dipstick.
Why is this so hard to understand? You put 5 qts in and it shouldn't burn anything of notice in 3k miles. No I didn't put too much in, you dump the 5qt jug in... period. I have pulled my dipstick after changing the oil, 1k, 3k, 5k and it's always at the top.
I don't think you understand what burning oil means and what a catch can does either. Burning oil means you are getting oil past the rings or past the valve stem guides, i.e. the oil is making it into the combustion chamber, THAT is what burning oil is. A catch can is simply placed in line in the PCV system to "catch" the oil vapor that gets recycled from the top end/crank case/under the valve cover and recycle it back into the intake system to be burned with the fuel and air.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
It may only be 5 qts instead of 5.5 or 6 but it all depends on how much oil they get out when they drain it. A lot has to do with the temp of the oil when its drained. As long as your dipstick reads full you are ok.
You won't leave a 1/2 qt in the pan w/ 0w20 even at cold temps, if your JL is on level ground when it's changed 5qts added will still be very close to 5 qts. And dealers should just be adding 5qts (and draining them on level ground, lol).

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Ummmm... NO. An engine in very good shape should not burn .5 qts every 5K unless you are beating the heck out of it and reving the engine very hard to redline. 37k miles on the Jeep and 5qts puts it at the top of the hash and 3k - 6k later it's still right at the top of the hash.
Actually, 0.5 quarts in 5k is absolutely within norms for a healthy engine, according to ANY manufacturer. I've had many healthy engines use more than that. There are some designs that are actually prone to it and some of them are very expensive engines. There is variance in individual engines and that's why every manufacturer has a range of what they consider to be normal. On the other hand, running an engine hard does not necessarily translate into oil usage, either.

I've seen engines that used significantly more than 0.5 quarts every 5k that went well past 300k miles.

In fact, it is so normal for engines to use oil that API standards require them to be able to burn without harming or shortening the life of catalytic converters.

My 08 JK's 3.8 is way beyond .5 every 5k. It burns up to 3/4 quart every 1k. It has done this since 40k miles and is currently at 133 and it runs great. Other than an occasional Italian tune-up, I run it like an old man driving a 1999 Buick. It actually uses less oil when I run it harder. I don't like that, but I've learned to live with it and it has been 100% reliable. I almost think I could get away with never changing the oil, as it tends to renew on its own by 6,000 miles. :CWL:

Those 3.8's are notorious for using oil but having long lives. My brother sold a Chrysler mini van with that engine at 225k and running like new. It also used nearly a quart every 1k.

Sponsored

Rosco1983

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I can't believe I am even entertaining this discussion... I know and have had an oil canister/catch can and you do not dump .5qt of oil out of that thing every 3k miles. Oil catch cans are small and that's because they don't catch a half qt of oil in 3k miles, it's a fraction of that... i.e. it won't show up on your dipstick.
Why is this so hard to understand? You put 5 qts in and it shouldn't burn anything of notice in 3k miles. No I didn't put too much in, you dump the 5qt jug in... period. I have pulled my dipstick after changing the oil, 1k, 3k, 5k and it's always at the top.
I don't think you understand what burning oil means and what a catch can does either. Burning oil means you are getting oil past the rings or past the valve stem guides, i.e. the oil is making it into the combustion chamber, THAT is what burning oil is. A catch can is simply placed in line in the PCV system to "catch" the oil vapor that gets recycled from the top end/crank case/under the valve cover and recycle it back into the intake system to be burned with the fuel and air.
Omg yes you do. Even a road trip across country u will use a little. You must be an expert my bad

Rosco1983

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
And if you dont have any oil in your catch can then why do you put it on? Hmmmm good point
So you say (catch can is simply placed in line in the PCV system to "catch" the oil vapor that gets recycled from the top end/crank case/under the valve cover and recycle it back into the intake system to be burned with the fuel and air.) So where did that oil come from that its recycling that its burning off? Did it just appear out of nowhere?

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Omg yes you do. Even a road trip across country u will use a little. You must be an expert my bad
I must have a magical engine...
I drove from Raleigh NC to Flagstaff AZ, to Moab, to Ouray doing 5 to 6 hours of off roading each day we weren't traveling and then back to NC in a period of 3 weeks. The oil was still at the top of the hash mark after those 5k or so miles. Looks like I got one of those unicorn tight tolerance engines. This has been my experience on this Jeep for 37k miles.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I currently have 7k miles on this oil in my JL and its is still at the top of the dipstick. One of my other vehicles burn a quart every 3-4k miles but it has needed valve seals for 14 years lol. I'd say once you start burning a quart every 1000-1500 miles there is a problem.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
The point I was trying to make was that looking at the repair receipt you can see that my dealer chose the correct amount of oil for the JL. I have read a million entries where other dealers have over-filled with 6 quarts which is what the JK took. I'm wondering why some dealers are out of the loop when this form was computer generated with the correct information. I asked about this when I brought both of my JL's in and the service advisor showed me that when he chose the vehicle from my file (I have 6 vehicles), the information popped right up and when he finished the service ticket it printed out and he showed me. Are other dealers guessing? Are they just going through the oil change and then saying what they used? I seen this process with my own eyes and each service department should be cutting service tickets the same way. FCA is not to blame if the dealer is going around the system. Just food for thought and whoever is experiencing dealer inconsistencies should take this up with them on the prevention side already built in the service system. Hope everything is good with your Jeep....take care. Charlie

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The point I was trying to make was that looking at the repair receipt you can see that my dealer chose the correct amount of oil for the JL. I have read a million entries where other dealers have over-filled with 6 quarts which is what the JK took. I'm wondering why some dealers are out of the loop when this form was computer generated with the correct information. I asked about this when I brought both of my JL's in and the service advisor showed me that when he chose the vehicle from my file (I have 6 vehicles), the information popped right up and when he finished the service ticket it printed out and he showed me. Are other dealers guessing? Are they just going through the oil change and then saying what they used? I seen this process with my own eyes and each service department should be cutting service tickets the same way. FCA is not to blame if the dealer is going around the system. Just food for thought and whoever is experiencing dealer inconsistencies should take this up with them on the prevention side already built in the service system. Hope everything is good with your Jeep....take care. Charlie
I think it comes down to "laziness" or "I know what to do". These guys change oil on the 3.6L all the time and I think they just "know what to do" so for something like a simple oil change they probably aren't reading the ticket completely. That would be my guess, i.e. I think it's human error.