Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Installed the catch can again yesterday and got the same code again today after my drive to work. I'm not sure what's wrong...
I installed mine yesterday and have done a few short trips around town, less than 10 miles total and I just had a code pop up. I’m interested if you find any hose routing issues.
Hey guys,

I'm sorry to hear that the code came back @4x4Tyrant, I'm going to talk to the engineers more and will get back to you ASAP Monday. @jwalt are you having the P2C90 code too?

So the plot thickens...
That is weird. Did you happen to check the seal on the gas cap that @FUHL mentioned? And I can't remember, is that happening after filling up or just randomly with time?

Thanks,
-Steve

jwalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,

I'm sorry to hear that the code came back @4x4Tyrant, I'm going to talk to the engineers more and will get back to you ASAP Monday. @jwalt are you having the P2C90 code too?

That is weird. Did you happen to check the seal on the gas cap that @FUHL mentioned? And I can't remember, is that happening after filling up or just randomly with time?

Thanks,
-Steve

Yes, Mishimoto I received the p2c90 code. I reset them but once triggered it shows a permanent code. Thanks for looking into it.
38C7C362-4F9C-4336-9DB2-252A6BE36099.png

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Are codes just popping up due to aftermarket intakes not playing well with this catch can, or is there also an issue with a fully stock engine and this catch can?

Sponsored

jwalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
Are codes just popping up due to aftermarket intakes not playing well with this catch can, or is there also an issue with a fully stock engine and this catch can?
I am running a completely stock engine and air filter. The catch can is the only thing not factory in my engine bay. On the good side It was very easy to install.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I am running a completely stock engine and air filter. The catch can is the only thing not factory in my engine bay. On the good side It was very easy to install.
Thats what I was afraid of. I've been sitting on this catch can for over a week now because of a lack of free time. Finally got time, but this thread has made me hesitant.

Thanks for the reply and hope you can get squared away!

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thats what I was afraid of. I've been sitting on this catch can for over a week now because of a lack of free time. Finally got time, but this thread has made me hesitant.

I had the same hesitation, I did mine anyways because of its simplicity. No codes at all. Just lube each fitting, route things carefully and without kinks, and take your time.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Well after 840 mile I popped another CEL today.........well shit. I thought all was good

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL

Hey everybody,

I've been talking to the engineers about the P2C90 codes with this catch can. So far, all the reports of that code have been from customers that live at elevations around 4,000 ft. above sea level—we have had 0 reports of that code below 4,000 feet. Our working theory is that the lower atmospheric pressure at these elevations is pushing the CCV pressure sensor to the bottom of it's range and our catch can is adding enough restriction to push it over that line and throw a CEL. Since we're at about 10 feet above sea level, our sensor had more room to adjust and we didn't see the CEL with the high-flow filter. @Headbarcode you're very close to sea level, so you should be OK to install the can, assuming you don't have an S&B intake.

What we'd like to try next is to have those of you that have the code remove the filter and diverter plate from the lid of the catch can, clear the code, and see if it comes back. We're hoping that removing the filter will allow enough flow to get the sensor back into the acceptable range. @4x4Tyrant and @jwalt could you two please try removing the filter and let us know if it works? The filter is an M27, you should be able to remove it with just an open end or adjustable wrench. If either of you don't feel comfortable removing it, just let me know and I'll ship you out a lid without the filter installed. Here's a photo of the filter for your reference:

MMBCC-JLH-Filter.jpg

As for the EVAP codes and the "gas cap loose" warning - we still believe this is an issue with the combination of S&B intake and our catch can and will have @Minty JL in on Wednesday to check it out. However, I did find some interesting content here about other possible causes for the code.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/p0456-another-cause.32571/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...uppress-check-engine-light.27892/#post-659462

I would be curious to see if anybody with our catch can and the "gas cap loose" warning has removed the catch can and still gotten the warning.

Thank you everybody for your patience and help with these CELs, we appreciate it very much and getting this resolved is at the top of our list. Hope to have more info for you all Wednesday.

Thanks again,
-Steve

Last edited:

Sponsored

4x4Tyrant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
Hey everybody,

I've been talking to the engineers about the P2C90 codes with this catch can. So far, all the reports of that code have been from customers that live at elevations around 4,000 ft. above seal level—we have had 0 reports of that code below 4,000 feet. Our working theory is that the lower atmospheric pressure at these elevations is pushing the CCV pressure sensor to the bottom of it's range and our catch can is adding enough restriction to push it over that line and throw a CEL. Since we're at about 10 feet above sea level, our sensor had more room to adjust and we didn't see the CEL with the high-flow filter. @Headbarcode you're very close to sea level, so you should be OK to install the can, assuming you don't have an S&B intake.

What we'd like to try next is to have those of you that have the code remove the filter and diverter plate from the lid of the catch can, clear the code, and see if it comes back. We're hoping that removing the filter will allow enough flow to get the sensor back into the acceptable range. @4x4Tyrant and @jwalt could you two please try removing the filter and let us know if it works? The filter is an M27, you should be able to remove it with just an open end or adjustable wrench. If either of you don't feel comfortable removing it, just let me know and I'll ship you out a lid without the filter installed. Here's a photo of the filter for your reference:

MMBCC-JLH-Filter.jpg

As for the EVAP codes and the "gas cap loose" warning - we still believe this is an issue with the combination of S&B intake and our catch can and will have @Minty JL in on Wednesday to check it out. However, I did find some interesting content here about other possible causes for the code.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/p0456-another-cause.32571/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...uppress-check-engine-light.27892/#post-659462

I would be curious to see if anybody with our catch can and the "gas cap loose" warning has removed the catch can and still gotten the warning.

Thank you everybody for your patience and help with these CELs, we appreciate it very much and getting this resolved is at the top of our list. Hope to have more info for you all Wednesday.

Thanks again,
-Steve
K I'll remove this when I get home tonight to test it out.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
K I'll remove this when I get home tonight to test it out.
Please let me know how it goes! And Just to clarify, you only need to remove the silver filter and the plate with the two flaps under it, not the baffle plate that's on the post. I realized this morning that could have been confusing.

Thanks!
-Steve

4x4Tyrant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
Please let me know how it goes! And Just to clarify, you only need to remove the silver filter and the plate with the two flaps under it, not the baffle plate that's on the post. I realized this morning that could have been confusing.

Thanks!
-Steve
Alrighty removed the filter, reinstalled the catch can and cleared all codes from the computer. Including pics below to show the part I removed. I frequently drive between 4000 and 8000ft in the area I reside so let's see what happens now.
20190827_094149.jpg
20190827_094125.jpg

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Alrighty removed the filter, reinstalled the catch can and cleared all codes from the computer. Including pics below to show the part I removed. I frequently drive between 4000 and 8000ft in the area I reside so let's see what happens now.
I'm honestly surprised the difference in atmospheric pressure from 4,000 ft. to 8,000 ft. isn't enough to set it off if our catch can is setting it off at ~4,000 ft. That by itself is a 2 psi difference in pressure. I wonder if the PCM references barometric pressure as a base pressure and then sets the CCV pressure range based on that. Not sure how that wouldn't cause a CEL at sea level though :movember:

Hopefully removing the filter helps and we can go from there! Thank you for helping us work this out!

-Steve
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.