Sponsored

Now I have to get a new hood

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hmmmm... I got some dis-information then. Someone a while back said that the vents actually were open mesh but that the insulation did block them, presumably to keep water from flowing directly onto the engine. If it's just a little water hole then yeah they are as useless as teets in a bull.
Jeep Informant did a decent in-depth look here. Earlier in the video he shows where it drains out, at 2:38ish he gets to the meat of it

"functionable" ;)
Sponsored

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
Are the vents the only difference?

Vents are only difference. In addition, they are fake vents that only let water into the Engine when it rains :(

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Vents are only difference. In addition, they are fake vents that only let water into the Engine when it rains :(
Nah, as TOTL Innovations notes in post #11, there are some forming differences - the Rubi hood is supposed to be bulgier and more "muscular."

It's been forever since I've sat in a JL Sport or Sahara but I think the great irony is that those hoods might actually afford better visibility - albeit probably minimal

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
Are the vents the only difference?
The "vents" are for looks only. They DO NOT ventilate as many people think they do. I personally would rather have vents that actually vent, or no "vents" at all.

Reactions: D60

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
The "vents" are for looks only. They DO NOT ventilate as many people think they do. I personally would rather have vents that actually vent, or no "vents" at all.
Pffft... there you go venting again.

Sponsored

Rubidozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 Jeep JLUS
Seriously..... the vents are real. Look at them without the fire suppression blanket and you will see. Just cut holes in the blanket because it’s only there for safety requirements post-manufacturing. Save the cut out pieces to cover the holes, if you live in a place with really cold winters.
Water can drain right onto the engine and it’s fine. You can spray off your engine, while running, to clean it and it does no damage so neither will those vents.
The vents on the front fenders are functional, too. I’ve seen the fenders removed and they actually vent a lot of heat out while the engine is running.
Those hood vents would add more cooling throughout the engine compartment.

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
Seriously..... the vents are real. Look at them without the fire suppression blanket and you will see. Just cut holes in the blanket because it’s only there for safety requirements post-manufacturing. Save the cut out pieces to cover the holes, if you live in a place with really cold winters.
Water can drain right onto the engine and it’s fine. You can spray off your engine, while running, to clean it and it does no damage so neither will those vents.
The vents on the front fenders are functional, too. I’ve seen the fenders removed and they actually vent a lot of heat out while the engine is running.
Those hood vents would add more cooling throughout the engine compartment.
Please watch the video by Jeep Informant in post number 16 in this thread. That VERY small hole in the plastic vent, does not give the engine compartment any meaningful ventilation.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
You can actually get a pretty good deal through your dealerships part Dept. I guess depending on who your parts manager is.. I send sites in and he always beats them. My quote for the hood, padding and vents was $675.. quotes are good for 6 months. That’s unpainted by the way.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Interesting. Fake hood vents. I wouldnt have expected that.

When I bought a used 2006 Ram with a hood scoop, I guessed it was because the hemi needed one. Found out it's an after market nonfunctional appearance item...which I hate. I'd have pulled it, but was told it would leave a mark. Phony badass is silly, and a hemi Ram doesnt need any pretend.

Wannabe hotrod stuff on a Jeep? Huh.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner