First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Hi ya'll, I'm a new '19 2dr Sport owner (last Saturday).

I drove it 300 miles home from the dealer down I-5 through Seattle and Portland traffic and damn near shat myself with the drifting and inability to make small corrections, causing quite a bit of drunk driving/fishtailing. The build date on mine is April 19. Am I to assume the TSB remedies don't apply to me? Alignment or toe-in(out?) may still be an issue from transport though, right? (Sorry, I'm not super knowledgable about the specifics of suspensions). I let the air out of my tires when I got home and read on this forum that they are usually overinflated. It didn't seem to make any difference at 36psi. Some folks say this aftermarket steering stabilizer from Rough Country is worth the $55. Besides making sure my alignment is not messed up, is that my only other solution? I don't have high hopes taking this to the dealer with something as subjective as "I can't drive in a straight line on a perfectly flat and smooth highway".

Thanks for any insight!
Sponsored

Sagertat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-Door Rubicon
Have you checked torque on the ball joints, track bar, drag link and all of the other steering and suspension components? I'm curious if they are still not torqued to specs even on the 2020s.
I did check the lower ball joints. They were barely tight, so torqued them to spec. It didn't change anything. Considering that the ball joint is a flanged fit, isn't it possible they are seated at spec torque but then the castle nut is loosened till then cotter pin can be put in. It would explain why we all think they are loose.

I'll check more steering bolts after I put the LCA's on.

Dom

First Name
Dom Sahara JL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Technician
Yup the same. I'm not a negative person but I think out of the 30+ people that work in the service department 3 know anything outside of the grease pencil check list. Everyone is a drone. I'd pay whatever they want if they will just fix it.
Hey buddy did you get the FCA recall notice in the mail today? It for the 2019 Sahara JL “Steering Damper”

Dom

First Name
Dom Sahara JL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Technician
I did check the lower ball joints. They were barely tight, so torqued them to spec. It didn't change anything. Considering that the ball joint is a flanged fit, isn't it possible they are seated at spec torque but then the castle nut is loosened till then cotter pin can be put in. It would explain why we all think they are loose.

I'll check more steering bolts after I put the LCA's on.
3AE4BAD8-222D-4B36-B179-AB8DC640B9A3.jpeg

Sponsored

Dom

First Name
Dom Sahara JL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Technician
One of the biggest improvements for my dead spot was torquing all the steering components to spec, they were all less than supposed to be. After 4 trips to two dealerships for dead spot, all claimed there is no problem, I adjusted the steering box screw and I have to say I am finally happy with how it drives. Good luck!
EB5917F7-FED6-4C41-9933-CB451D77B22F.jpeg

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hey buddy did you get the FCA recall notice in the mail today? It for the 2019 Sahara JL “Steering Damper”
Yes thanks @Dom I received that a week ago however I've already replaced the stock with the fox version. But this only fixes vibration or wobble not the gawd awful play in the steering wheel.

Dom

First Name
Dom Sahara JL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Technician
Yes thanks @Dom I received that a week ago however I've already replaced the stock with the fox version. But this only fixes vibration or wobble not the gawd awful play in the steering wheel.
I don’t feel any vibration or wobble on my JL I do 70+ every day on the highways I’m in no rush to take it to the dealer yet. Can’t fix it if it’s not broken

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Actually, yes it did fix the play in the steering, which, personally, didn't bother me. But it's tight now:like:

Sponsored

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
Occupation
General idiot, know nothing
Vehicle Showcase
So I've been waiting 2 weeks for my dealership to get my new steering gear box (I have a 2 door). Not sure if it's an AD or AE version but I guess we'll see. They've done the damper replacement via the V41 recall but I'm still waiting. Whats the holdup Jeep?? Too many issues and not enough parts in the pipeline to fix these things? If/when it gets fixed, or at least finished, I'll post results and what version of steering gear box they put in.

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t feel any vibration or wobble on my JL I do 70+ every day on the highways I’m in no rush to take it to the dealer yet. Can’t fix it if it’s not broken
OK I have been messing with the PSI and 34 seems to work for me. If I complied with the chalk test I'd be at like 26-28 which feels sluggish to me.

So one of these things has everything fixed but play in the steering.

Rubicon Express Trackbar
SS tirerod and drag
Alignment
Air pressure
AEV geometry brackets
Learning how to drive and not over compensate when the tires following the road

Only 2+k in upgrades

Sswrangler03

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I also had the AE steering box installed. Not sure if the PCM was reflashed though. How would I know? It's not on the paperwork. Also what flash is everyone talking about (# wise) and what is it supposed to address? I'd like to bring it up at my next service appointment. Steering is probably 75% better. I find it doesn't re-center itself well, especially on right turns. I don't believe an alignment was completed nor the new track bar which will be happening next week. Hopefully that resolves the issue or makes it 85%+ better!
I have the AE. It didn’t improve line very much. I have the exact same symptoms and also do not know if they flashed it or not. I gave the issue a rest for a few weeks. It really stresses me out. But I’m going to go harass the dealer again very shortly about this update flash.

Tylerjcloud92

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport
I've been dealing with this for over a year now on my 2 door. my jeep is in the shop going on 2 weeks now and they have replaced the wheel hub assembly for the poping in the front axle when turning and fixed the loose seat back and rail on the driver side and had the stabilizer recall done. Now are saying the steering is normal with 2 inches of play at dead center. I'm going to try for a buyback, the dealer will admit there is something wrong when there's a new fix but when that doesn't do anything and there out of options they go back to saying its normal. its had the reflash, trackbar, 2 stabilizers, and the new alignment specs but they won't t\cchange the actual steering box to the new version. if they give me some kind of compensation I might try this https://www.quadratec.com/p/psc-motorsports/overlander-big-bore-xd-steering-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl or I might cut my losses and get rid of it before it gives me any more trouble.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Those of you that discovered loose ball joints on your Jeeps, did you happen to notice any clicking noises while making slow speed turns? Mine just started making the noise this week, and I'm trying to determine the cause.
Sponsored