Sponsored

Break-in period, who follows it?

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I followed the engineers recommendation to a T including brief moments of full throttle under whatever the RPM's they said. There's other components such as the transmission/differentials that could use some breakin too. And even if someone proves me wrong, I don't care, I'm going to do what all the manufactures tell you to do.
Sponsored

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not diligently following exactly what the manual says word-for-word, but I am taking it easy and varying speeds and RPM. In 2 weeks I'm taking it on vacation 400 miles away and I'm not driving 50 miles an hour getting there.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I did a lot of brief full throttle bursts. 5 miles on the OD I set the cruise at 81. Those of us who live in Colorado up in the mountains understand we can’t drive 55 unless you want to get run over. Lots of full throttle up Vail and lots of engine braking down. For a Jeep on 37’s at 7-10k ft this bitch runs pretty damn good. I beat on it. It will be fine. That’s why I spent 50k on this Jeep. So I can beat on it. If I wanted to baby something I would have bought a Toyota.

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Design Development Manager
Whilst Breaking in a vehicle in isn't as important as a decade or two ago, the logic of not breaking it in because the car can 'take it' or because you don't want to 'baby it', is flawed.

When your car comes from the factory there is a chance or rubbing and scraping of close fitting metal components, these wear a bit during initial use and then stabilise. By breaking it in properly you ensure a better more even wear. You also reduce the chance of chipping and scratches in your mechanical components. Also, as mentioned previously, the first oil change is important due to the amount of contaminants likely to be in the oil due to any swarf from the parts initial wear.
It has nothing to do with 'babying' the car, a good break it conditions it for the most efficient use and best long term wear.

Having said all that, the manufactures guidelines are likely to be very conservative or include a large factor of safety.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
My break in period was hooking up to my Fiesta, with 7 miles on the odometer for th 500 mile drive home ;)
Yeah, real smart. Daaaaaaaaaaah.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
This is straight from the owners manual.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After
the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80
or 90 km/h) are desirable
I wonder what needs to be done between 2-60 miles.

rickyrobert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 2016 Toyota Venza, 2005 Nissan Sentra, 1972 Jeep CJ5
Drove it conservatively for 100km, and going trailing next weekend lmfao.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I wonder what needs to be done between 2-60 miles.
It’s not very clear, but I assumed it meant stay under 50 for the first 60 miles.

I followed all the recommendations this time. It may not make any difference, but I felt a lot better than the last time when I read the break in recommendations after I had done everything wrong.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Drove it conservatively for 100km, and going trailing next weekend lmfao.
Wait...WTF is a km?
Kitten mile?
Knitting mom?
Kept man?
Kid's meal?
Knead (my) member?
King Midas?
Kona mountains?
Kangaroo meat?
Kosher menu?
Kayak mount?
Must be some weird Canadian thing...

Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Picked mine up yesterday. Nothing was said about the break in process. Other than varying the speed, all is good. Hell, I was driving 80 mph back to my office. You’ll get run over if you drive slower around here.

I have had several mechanics tell me the last thing you want to do is baby it. No full accelerations yet.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Gear 1-3 Low gear - WOT detrimental according to FCA manual.
Gears 5 + - I consider them high gears and giving throttle, I would go from 45-55 mph and then step off the gas pedal and repeat the same after half a mile of moderate driving.
This way I varied the RPMs from 2 to 3.5k - in the 2.0L engine, turbo immediately kicks in and takes me from 2k - 3k rpm in a flash. Too harsh or is this what the manual suggests? On the 2.0L, it is impossible to increase the RPM gradually. And BTW, I never was able to go full throttle - I would severely violate speed limit on the service road, and also risk going over 4000 rpm.

When I did the same on 3.6L Pentastar, the RPMs increase a little slowly and gradually of course, compared to the 2.0L.

SABLE RHINO

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S 3.6L
I followed the engineers recommendation to a T including brief moments of full throttle under whatever the RPM's they said. There's other components such as the transmission/differentials that could use some breakin too. And even if someone proves me wrong, I don't care, I'm going to do what all the manufactures tell you to do.
What camper is that? Do you like it?

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Under 50? You cant get anywhere in Atlanta under 50 except dead and run over. I just kept the RPMs "mostly" under 3k and was easy on the throttle, mostly...

I did the same thing for my 18 and my 19 Sahara. I dont know if its just that you get used to things over time, but the 18 seemed quicker. Same engine.
Sponsored