Sponsored

Unwrapped 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU from production plant!

Superwinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon, Yamaha Raptor 660
As midnight said, unfortunately much of the unknown is under the surface, where even seeing a manual gear-shift is nice and confirms a manual transmission and number of gears, but not which transmission. Same with the new 12-boot axle underneath, what is that, it's not a current Dana product (their last 12-bolt was the Dana 28 which would be too weak for a Wrangler). Even basic, but important info that is hidden in the open, like is the fuel tank bigger on either/both would be nice to know.

Stuff like how the windshield folds away from the cage/A-pillar, are the new side-curtain airbags in the seats or also in the other structures.

Are the rear seats redesigned? Are the now acceptable for adults on longer journeys (adults should still buy their own Wrangler rear seats are for kids ;) )

Even just the angle of the rear hard-top or the soft-top is in question if it's more angled for efficiency.

Unfortunately even with the many opportunities for people to see them in plain sight, still a lot of unanswered questions.
The tops are the big one I'm waiting on. I take mine on and off so much it will probably make or break whether I trade up.

It's too bad the leaked pic didnt show the top but happy to see at least it appears to open up close to the windshield just like the JK. Some of the interior pics had me worried about that.

Jeep Wrangler JL Unwrapped 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU from production plant! {filename}
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
In reference to Bingly... We know.

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I like how it looks so far. I owned a 2004 TJ but switched to a Cherokee after I totaled it and have been looking to get back in to a Wrangler since.

To me it looks like the wheel is turned way to the right, causing the wheel well to look larger than it actually is. Also does anyone know if the JL doors will be thicker? With the body line I would assume so, but I wonder if that also means moving more electronics in to the door (such as window buttons).

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if that also means moving more electronics in to the door (such as window buttons)
Nope. Interior spy pics show the window controls still on the dashboard.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Which is good because they sure as heck don't need to be heavier.
It's good since you couldn't get to the controls with the doors off... :cwl:

Jeep Momma

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Still could be one of the early JL test mules.
Not a 'production JL' of course as those don't exist yet, but one of the first test mules that was retired from testing.

More likely, I still think it's all a hoax, like the D-day inflatable tanks !!
They are just trying to distract us from the secret real location they are making all the Wranglers... VERMONT !!

For the historically challenged;

Either that, or I stick with my original assessment, it a very underwhelming/disappointing bouncy castle, poorly inflated and no windows !
Wow - those images match very closely to the red JL in this thread.

Hood, beltline, grill etc
Those have to be aftermarket grilles. The darker colored Jeep the slots don't match up to what I saw. The top of the Seven Slots aligns with the top of the headlight. Also there is no bend in the slots.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Those have to be aftermarket grilles. The darker colored Jeep the slots don't match up to what I saw. The top of the Seven Slots aligns with the top of the headlight. Also there is no bend in the slots.
Those are mocked up renderings.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
This is still gonna be the closest you get and the unwrapped JLU from the factory shows its very accurate.

Jeep Wrangler JL Unwrapped 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU from production plant! {filename}

No surprise considering it's based on leaked internal images.

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
You are correct WaltA , I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed that just the windshield will fold down.
Oh please oh please be true! As someone who's getting an Ursa Minor camper for the JL - I'd love to fold down the windshield while the roof is in place.