Sponsored

The Jeep Wave and the Gladiator

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
My wife and I are first time Jeep/Wrangler owners. I knew about the wave already so I kinda expected it. My wife thought I was joking and trying to get her to wave randomly at strangers and then quickly realized this is a real thing..

As a former multi Subaru WRX/STI owner (owned many) I was familiar with waving already.

But what I was not prepared for is how many Jeep Wrangler owners there are in New England. I mean tons. Just going a few minutes to the grocery store I pass 4-5 on a regular basis, and on my work commute (25 mins) may wave 10+ times each way.

Frankly I know there are times I don't wave back because I am just not noticing or forgetting I am a Jeep owner and this is a real thing. Part of me could really live without this wave thing... I wanted the Jeep more for offroading and taking the top off than anything else.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
My wife and I are first time Jeep/Wrangler owners. I knew about the wave already so I kinda expected it. My wife thought I was joking and trying to get her to wave randomly at strangers and then quickly realized this is a real thing..

As a former multi Subaru WRX/STI owner (owned many) I was familiar with waving already.

But what I was not prepared for is how many Jeep Wrangler owners there are in New England. I mean tons. Just going a few minutes to the grocery store I pass 4-5 on a regular basis, and on my work commute (25 mins) may wave 10+ times each way.

Frankly I know there are times I don't wave back because I am just not noticing or forgetting I am a Jeep owner and this is a real thing. Part of me could really live without this wave thing... I wanted the Jeep more for offroading and taking the top off than anything else.
There are definitely a lot in New England (I live in Mass.)

I'm sick of waving. I don't initiate. Maybe I'll wave back. It's the worst when you are going against the grain of rush hour.

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
They are everywhere now. I’m in the Midwest and I had no idea how many of us new drivers there are. FCA sold almost 250,000 Wranglers just last year and while sales are down this year, they are still pretty strong.

It’s pretty interesting how you notice them once you have one, and now that they drive decently as a daily driver, it’s also interesting how many more JLs are on the road all the time.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
There are definitely a lot in New England (I live in Mass.)

I'm sick of waving. I don't initiate. Maybe I'll wave back. It's the worst when you are going against the grain of rush hour.
We dont see many wranglers around here , shit we dont see many cars around here ! I think this is New England, right Toto ?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
the 500 abarth has to be one of the best sounding cars ever made. It has no business sounding that good. I will turn down my stereo and roll down a window when I see one just to hear it. My neighbors would hate me if I had that. Every morning at 5:30 I'd start it up and give the throttle a couple of quick jabs while still in the garage just to get the smile on my face then head into work.

As far as the wave thing goes... I don't understand the issue with waving. No matter what I'm driving I give randoms a wave, no matter what they're driving. I consciously try to do at least 5 each way on my typical commute and if I get a wave back or not has zero impact on me and if I'll wave again. Waving makes me feel good and I hope it makes the receiver feel good as well. One of the things I hate about city life is how people seem to turn off their humanity and act like they hate everyone. Is it really that big of a deal to wave, or get a wave? In my view a wave is a nice reminder that "hey we're all people out here, lets treat each other well." Maybe it'll brighten someone's day, maybe it'll confuse them, but it certainly doesn't hurt anyone. Waving to Jeeps makes it easier to remember to wave, and you share at least some kind of common interest so you might interact with that person again. But I don't get why people are so concerned about if they get a wave back or not. Just wave if/when you can or feel like it. Nobody thinks you need to wave to everyone, but IMO you should wave to someone unconditionally.
I agree with you on the sound of that engine! :rock:

I test drove a Dodge Dart with the same engine and I really liked it. Problems with the Dakota meant I needed to replace that vehicle first so I never was able to actually buy a Dart before they were discontinued. :(

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
80% of Jeep sales is the Unlimited. I like the original short wheel base which is part of what made the Jeep so capable in places bigger vehicles could not go. So I don't like waving at unlimited's as I'm afraid they are going to make it so FCA discontinues the 2 door. Don't want to encourage any unlimited owners into thinking a 4 door is cool. Lol:LOL:

Aranimus

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Some years ago, I rode my roommate's motorcycle from time to time, and one thing I remember from those days was that on 2-lane roads if you passed another bike going in the opposite direction most people waved. It was organic, and always made me smile. I figured it was a mutual acknowledgment that any point a truck could flatten us, so why not revel in the moment :) . I'd say people shouldn't worry so much about the Jeep wave, and just enjoy the camaraderie when it happens!

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
I wave only at jeeps.... jeeps being jeeps only.... not everything manufacturered by jeep. Soooo no renegades, cherokees, gladiators ect. Seems like most who dont jeep wave back are older not really jeep people at all or hairspray wearing girls.

Sponsored

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I wave most of the time but I am old have owned many jeeps for many years. It gets to be weird when there are SO many. Kind of like when we rode our Harleys to a bike rally. Wave? To what, a thousand guys riding towards you. When there gets to be too many, things change. In Nantucket two weeks ago. I thing maybe two thirds of all vehicles on that island are Wranglers. Thankfully we were on scooters so I didn't have to worry about it. Wave is nice, don't get me wrong, times change. I could totally see the wave limited to two doors. The original.

Rubidozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 Jeep JLUS
I own both a JL and a JT.
I don’t wave at everyone with a Jeep.
Would you, as a Wrangler owner, wave at a Renegade? A Grand Cherokee? A Compass?
I’m also a man and leave all the corporate fellowship to the young dorks.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
waved at one this afternoon, lady was happy and waved back, looks like a wrangler head on so why not

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
I wave most of the time but I am old have owned many jeeps for many years. It gets to be weird when there are SO many. Kind of like when we rode our Harleys to a bike rally. Wave? To what, a thousand guys riding towards you. When there gets to be too many, things change. In Nantucket two weeks ago. I thing maybe two thirds of all vehicles on that island are Wranglers. Thankfully we were on scooters so I didn't have to worry about it. Wave is nice, don't get me wrong, times change. I could totally see the wave limited to two doors. The original.
I have a strap-on ( 3rd arm ) I wear when I ride my bike. It sorta hangs down and out . Looks just like a motorcycle wave. Lets me concentrate on riding . Bike after bike after bike..wave after wave after wave.. tiring !.As far as Jeeps and jeep Gladiators are concerned, there are hardly any around , so I am happy to wave to them.
We drove down to a wedding in NY last weekend and no New Yorkers waved . Really ?! Vermonters are a friendly bunch not so the New York contingent.;)

Last edited:

Link Pin

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sahara, 2020 Gladiator
If it's a wrangler, I always wave and wave back in my Overland. :)
Sponsored