Sponsored

2020 - JL Wrangler Reviews & First impressions?

DatsunX3

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Sport S - Ordered
I see there are a many who now have their 2020 JL's & JLU's. Some might even be showing up at dealer lots by now. Looking forward to hearing your first impression and thoughts on your new 2020's. Please note if its a JL or JLU and which engine / trans option.
*Build quality
*Steering feel
*Hard top wind noise
*Electrical gremlins
Sponsored

mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software
I see there are a many who now have their 2020 JL's & JLU's. Some might even be showing up at dealer lots by now. Looking forward to hearing your first impression and thoughts on your new 2020's. Please note if its a JL or JLU and which engine / trans option.
*Build quality
*Steering feel
*Hard top wind noise
*Electrical gremlins
Is there really going to be any difference in any of these (aside from the new engine configs)?

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Is there really going to be any difference in any of these (aside from the new engine configs)?
Definitely not. Maybe less Jeeps will have steering issues, but everything else is going to be the same.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Well if Jeep's "fix" to the steering issues is not really addressing the issue, I am not sure why a 2020 would be any different.
Just to comment on a few things as I just recently bought a 2019:
- I have the hard top and no excessive wind noise. This does not seem to be present on all builds. I have taken the freedom panels on and off numerous times and have had no issues. My 2018 Miata with the top up is much louder inside than my Jeep JL.
- By electrical gremlins can you be more specific? Are you referring to the aux batteries needing to be replaced? I was not aware of large reports of electrical gremlins. Mine has been flawless so far. But in fairness I wanted an Unlimited Sport S with the tech package (7" radio), and heated seats and steering wheel with very few other options. I worried about adding a ton of technology options to a vehicle I will offroad in.
- I read some reports of bad welds on some 2018' 19's and I checked mine for that, but aside from that I have no complaint of build quality. It seems pretty stout so far.

OP
OP
DatsunX3

DatsunX3

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Thill444, thanks for the info. I had read some earlier electrical issues with radios and possibly the jeep just shutting off. Maybe those are few and far between and not much of an issue. Glad to hear you don't have any excessive wind noise. Do you have a JL or JLU? I have driven 3 2019 JLU's with what I would call excessive wind noise above 45 mph. I do understand a Jeep WILL have more wind noise than most vehicles. But what I experienced in the 3 I drove was more of an abnormal sound and different from driver and passenger sides. Not quite a whistle but more of air leaking sound. In fairness, I did drive 1 JL that I thought was pretty good for wind noise. I'm actually planing on getting a 2 door with hard top.
Thanks again for the feedback.

Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I have had my 2020 JLUR (3.6 V6 with 8 spd. auto) 1 week today and have put about 400 miles on it.

Impressions:
Amazing! Build quality seems to be spot on. Coming out of a 2016 Mini Cooper (built by BMW) and a 2013 BMW 3-Series, American manufacturers could still take a few lessons from the Germans with regards to paying attention to the fine details. Every visible section of paint on my Mini, including under the hood, engine bay, etc., was clear coated. If you could see paint, it was clear coated! But hey, the Wrangler is a totally different type of vehicle, so... it's ok!

When I picked my JL up and drove it back to my office and home, I noticed a little steering wondering at 70-80 mph on the highway. That was because the dealer had 42 psi in the tires!. I dropped them down to 36 psi and it drives fantastic. NO ISSUES with the steering at this point. I have had it up to 90 mph and it is very smooth!

One of my FAVORITE options is the LED light package. My previous 2 vehicles, mentioned above, had the best driving lights out of the 35+ vehicles I have owned. I think my Jeep is equally as good if not better! Bright... white... with amazing coverage. Not blinding. No one has flashed their bright lights at me. I think they are set just right. Whenever I put some 35" tires on it I am expecting to have to adjust them slightly. But right now with 33"s on it, it is perfect.

Another option I love... the upgraded 8.4" display and Alpine premium sound system. This system sounds amazing!!!

I have noticed the Automatic transmission has a slight "flutter" or just a different feel to it whenever I am slowing down and about to stop. Obviously it is transitioning from 8th gear to 1st gear. I am so used to manual transmissions that I am thinking this is totally normal. I might drive a couple of others on the lot to see if they are the same. Maybe someone can chime in on this???

Overall, I am very impressed with everything about the new 2020 JL!!! The second day I had it I built a hard top hoist and took the top off. (I posted the details of my simple ratchet hoist last week) So much fun! The hard top went back on very easily. BTW... with the hard top on, this JL is very quite. A lot quieter than my 2012 JK!

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
I have had my 2020 JLUR (3.6 V6 with 8 spd. auto) 1 week today and have put about 400 miles on it.

Impressions:
Amazing! Build quality seems to be spot on. Coming out of a 2016 Mini Cooper (built by BMW) and a 2013 BMW 3-Series, American manufacturers could still take a few lessons from the Germans with regards to paying attention to the fine details. Every visible section of paint on my Mini, including under the hood, engine bay, etc., was clear coated. If you could see paint, it was clear coated! But hey, the Wrangler is a totally different type of vehicle, so... it's ok!

When I picked my JL up and drove it back to my office and home, I noticed a little steering wondering at 70-80 mph on the highway. That was because the dealer had 42 psi in the tires!. I dropped them down to 36 psi and it drives fantastic. NO ISSUES with the steering at this point. I have had it up to 90 mph and it is very smooth!

One of my FAVORITE options is the LED light package. My previous 2 vehicles, mentioned above, had the best driving lights out of the 35+ vehicles I have owned. I think my Jeep is equally as good if not better! Bright... white... with amazing coverage. Not blinding. No one has flashed their bright lights at me. I think they are set just right. Whenever I put some 35" tires on it I am expecting to have to adjust them slightly. But right now with 33"s on it, it is perfect.

Another option I love... the upgraded 8.4" display and Alpine premium sound system. This system sounds amazing!!!

I have noticed the Automatic transmission has a slight "flutter" or just a different feel to it whenever I am slowing down and about to stop. Obviously it is transitioning from 8th gear to 1st gear. I am so used to manual transmissions that I am thinking this is totally normal. I might drive a couple of others on the lot to see if they are the same. Maybe someone can chime in on this???

Overall, I am very impressed with everything about the new 2020 JL!!! The second day I had it I built a hard top hoist and took the top off. (I posted the details of my simple ratchet hoist last week) So much fun! The hard top went back on very easily. BTW... with the hard top on, this JL is very quite. A lot quieter than my 2012 JK!
I was under the impression that 2020 deliveries were a couple of months out. When did you order yours ? Plus it doesnt seem possible to even build a 2020 on line yet.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
*Build quality
*Steering feel
*Hard top wind noise
*Electrical gremlins
Build Quality, it's better than a Ferrari.

Steering is solid

Personally I find the JL to be whisper quiet compared to the JK, TJ, YJ, if you never owned a Wrangler then I could understand "wind noise"

EG: None in my experience, my brother's 2019 Merc is full of them.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Love our 19 JL, no problems whatsoever, got the Steering Stabilizer Recall but no hurry to have it done since my steering has been just fine.
Paint quality is much better than our Infiniti, much more durable for sure.

Only negative is the small 17 gal tank on the 2-doors, wish the tank was bigger and the huge beer-keg muffler was smaller :)

Texan42

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Got my July 7, 2019 built JLUR on August 8th, so far so good...no issues. Very quiet, for a wrangler, inside at highway speed. Feels like a totally different Jeep and I thought my 2016 JKURHR drive great.

Sponsored

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I was under the impression that 2020 deliveries were a couple of months out. When did you order yours ? Plus it doesnt seem possible to even build a 2020 on line yet.
I've purchased 4 Jeeps over there past few years from two different dealerships. Both have 2020 Wrangler's on the lots...
Go buy one !

OP
OP
DatsunX3

DatsunX3

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Impressions:

Thanks HealthRebel!
Glad to hear you're happy with your 2020. I will have to give more thought to getting the LED's. Lots of people tend to like them.

OP
OP
DatsunX3

DatsunX3

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've purchased 4 Jeeps over there past few years from two different dealerships. Both have 2020 Wrangler's on the lots...
Go buy one !
I haven't seen any 2020's at the local dealers near me. But I'm sure they will be here soon.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Dale, be sure to order the anti-spin rear differential if you end up ordering your new JL, it's the best $560 you can spend IMO. You get the bigger Dana 44, the Limited Slip diff, and the All Terrain tires (instead of the mini-van Michelins that come on the non LSD sets)

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
there might be a new color added to the list. other than that it should be a "carry over". most of the issues should be resolved when the 2020 comes out.

i have a 2019 2 door sport 3.6 8 spd auto hard top since may and love it. no issues at all.
Sponsored