Parkers39

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 60 lb goldendoodle who rides with me in the car on a regular basis. I'm new to the wrangler lifestyle and I'm nervous that he might jump (or fall) out of my new Jeep if the soft top is down. Does anyone have a harness they could recommend? I'd ideally like something I could hook to the roll bar so my dog could ride in the cargo area and not on the back seats. However I'm open to any suggestion so long as it keeps my best friend safely inside the Jeep. Thanks!
Sponsored

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
I have a 60 lb goldendoodle who rides with me in the car on a regular basis. I'm new to the wrangler lifestyle and I'm nervous that he might jump (or fall) out of my new Jeep if the soft top is down. Does anyone have a harness they could recommend? I'd ideally like something I could hook to the roll bar so my dog could ride in the cargo area and not on the back seats. However I'm open to any suggestion so long as it keeps my best friend safely inside the Jeep. Thanks!
If I was buying my first dog harness again, I'd buy this:

http://helpemup.com/

You could easily attach a leash to the roll cage, and clip it to the harness. If you have your dog in the car, you can figure out the exact right length for them to be able to relax, but not get tangled. Many pet stores can custom order a leash length, or you could make one. I love this harness because one of my newfs blew out both of her knees and required surgery. This harness is amazing for lifting your dog, and supporting them if they can't bear weight.

Resheaanne

First Name
Reshea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler
We use a dirty dog enclosure but before that we just used a regular harness and attached two leashes on a swivel from opposite sides of the bars so she could only so go so far each way but could lay down.

JBall

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi/Billet Silver
Hi Parker,

I highly recommend the AllSsafe Harness after much research and watching various crash-test videos of it and other harnesses.

https://4x4northamerica.com/product/allsafe-harness/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007RD94A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

passingnotes

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
878BC1FB-F7AE-490C-B94D-7D3E6AE7D1F7.jpeg
the safest option might be a full enclosure, like a crate of some kind. next best might be options above - harness and restaurant

...but you forgot the picture of your dog! i’ll get you started: these two will be riding with me - both rescues - and that beagle mutt is a jumper, so he’s on leash even i’m the car - just worried a topless jeep will send him not crazy town ;)

Sponsored

ParkerS12

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jku Sahara 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
Now that’s funny! :cwl:
Two Parker S’s with goldendoodle on the jl forum. What are the odds?

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I'm so jealous of goldendoodles.. I didn't even know that was a thing until after I bonded with my white, now sandy colored, german shepherd.

So Much Hair

Sponsored

Torenhall

First Name
Toren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JKU HR
Dogs are generally smart enough to recognize the danger of leaving a moving vehicle, especially from that height. I think the dog would have to be stressed out or frightened to do something that silly.

It's always a good idea to restrain your dog safely when driving with the top down.

But if you want to drive around without it, you just need to have confidence in your dogs behavior. Practice driving around on a dirt road slowly at first and watch how he behaves. You want to be able to immediately stop and correct him if he does jump out. Then gradually drive different places and speeds with him, and get him comfortable with the idea of being in a moving vehicle in the open air. Not a normal thing for a dog for sure lol. But dogs are meant to be trained and your the best person for it.

I had a boxer that went everywhere with me, top down or no. He was bold enough to jump out without hurting himself too, but he never did while moving. Never looked like he wanted to. It helped that the first thing I did when I adopted him as a little puppy was drive home with him in my lap in my TJ with the top down.

Brodie was a good dog. He passed away at a nice old age, bless his heart, and certainly not from jeepin.

ArmyCrawler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JL Rubi
Love boxers!! This is my older one, Maya, now 8 years old. Have a 2 year old as well. They can't wait for the Jeep!

Sorry for your loss of Brodie. They really are awesome dogs

IMG_0663.jpeg

IMG_0664.jpeg

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
22140892_10100893109648243_979507672471907046_n.jpg

For those of you who asked, here's a photo of me and my best friend, Beau. We're jeep ready!
So clearly Parker you love your dog (and your dog you), right?

So put down some covering on the seats like towels, make sure the dogs nails are clipped so he doesn't rip the fabric, and get one of those harnesses that at the very least go around the chest and attach to a safety belt. The same that in an emergency stop is not instantly going into lock down mode, protecting your best friend the best way possible from internal injuries in a short stop. Doors or top off or not, windows open or shut, put this on your furry friend like you would yourself, every time you drive.

I don't mean to sound like that strict elementary school teacher we all had. I completely get this vision of Freedom that embodies the Wrangler of traveling down some beach road with top and/or the doors off, while your best friend has complete access to the inside of the car, changing windows based upon views and smells and loving every minute of it. I do. But it doesn't comport with safety.
Sponsored

Last edited: