Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Advice I got on a forum is if your spouse is concerned about the safety of getting a Jeep, start talking about getting a Harley.
Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Echoing what others have said here... the ol’ JL isn’t a safe vehicle by modern standards, and that means it deserves to be driven with respect. Also, kids’ modern car seats improve child safety more than anything else, so ferrying the children in mine is no cause for alarm. That being said, never take any intersection for granted. Even one-way feeders. I check them all like there’s an intoxicated motorist approaching from every direction.
Yup. When the light changes at a busy intersection and I’m the first car to go, I always do a 3-2-1 count just in case someone is trying to beat the red light. Kept me from getting crushed by a dump truck once.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
My wife and I came out unharmed from a collision at around 50~60 mph in the freeway with an almost stopped FORD pick-up truck. 2-D wrangler, soft top. Totaled with arguably extensive damage, including damage to the frame and broken front axle. And airbags deployed. I had a similar accident 15 years ago in a Peugeot 307 (not sold in the states). I gotta admit, in the Peugeot I just felt as if the the vehicle just stopped and I wasn't brutally pulled towards the front, when I came out of the vehicle I was surprised to see how destroyed the car was.

On the jeep wrangler, we both felt we were brutally thrown towards the front of the vehicle. And I remember feeling like angels hugging me when the airbag deployed. It felt soft, cushy, and somewhat "cozy" at the moment, but microseconds before the airbags I thought I was gonna die. I was surprised when getting out of the car to see how most of the stuff in the engine compartment was intact while damage got to the cabin....

I strongly believe the airbags in the JL are outstanding and saved our lives. This is a type of crash that no modern vehicle should have a high probability of badly injuring its occupants. Removable doors and top are no excuse truly, and yeah sure it is an off-roading vehicle, but how do you get to the trail?

I understand people don't buy jeeps for safety, but FCA truly has to get their shit together with crumple zones. The jeep wrangler is not a "death trap" but it can be dangerous in an accident, so please, don't drive it at higher speeds than 65 and you should be alright. I see far too many people (idiots) driving wranglers over 90 mph in the freeway.... Anyone driving at those speeds is dumb and careless. We all make mistakes, we all have our moments, be proactive and drive at safe speeds, control what you can. Your life and the life of others is not worth the 5 mins you'll get from speeding.

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Pffft....Europeans...am I right?!

Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I give my JLU 4 stars...because I am behind the wheel and because of what someone else posted...

Driving style is a huge factor. It’s the one thing we are all in control of. Keep your speed down, leave room between the car in front of you, and keep aware of the nuts around you.
I would love to be the commissioner of traffic...I would revoke at least 25% of the populations driving privileges.

Some of these idiots probably can't walk a straight line sober, never mind drive a vehicle.

I stay far away from people, the shit I see on the road on a daily basis just boggles my mind.
I often feel like the famous captain from star trek meme with his hand out and the wtf look on his face.

It isn't vehicles that need to be safer, it is the stupid humans, which will inevitably lead to cars driving themselves because some people are too stupid to learn how to merge, follow or have any curtesy to others on the road.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I give my JLU 4 stars...because I am behind the wheel and because of what someone else posted...

I would love to be the commissioner of traffic...I would revoke at least 25% of the populations driving privileges.

Some of these idiots probably can't walk a straight line sober, never mind drive a vehicle.

I stay far away from people, the shit I see on the road on a daily basis just boggles my mind.
I often feel like the famous captain from star trek meme with his hand out and the wtf look on his face.

It isn't vehicles that need to be safer, it is the stupid humans, which will inevitably lead to cars driving themselves because some people are too stupid to learn how to merge, follow or have any curtesy to others on the road.
2 things. Humans inherently make mistakes, so accidents will always happen even if you crank on driver safety requirements. Also, it is not only about you driving safely, it is about, as you call them, the idiots who can't walk a straight line sober sharing the road with you.

I believe though statistics show that on real life situations wranglers are actually pretty safe... They can be much much safer though

You guys know which car got a 4 star out of 5 rating by the europeans? A freaking smart car.... :CWL::facepalm:

Put a smart car and a wrangler on a crash and see who walks away....

I have a wrangler and a corolla (the corolla has FIVE star ratings). Guess which car gets better insurance rates?. Yeap, the Wrangler... insurance companies based their rates on many things, including safety statistics from real world collisions. I did see a hit in my insurance after the damn australians and europeans came up with their 1 star rating, but it is still less than the corolla.

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
NCAP test aside, how can anyone NOT question the safety of the JL from its numerous reported cases of death wobble and the rudimentary welding? Not to mention, all the anecdotal cases of electronic issues. Although my kids will probably seldom be in the JLUR, as a father of 2 with a JLUR still in D status, I would be lying to say that it hasn't crossed my mind to abandon my order til FCA gets their 'merda' together. I really hope I come across more good threads than bad about the 2019s before my order turns to KZ.

The JL has not been rated in the US yet. Who cares what the Euro test results are, it’s a different standard. As for death wobble and the welding, those are isolated reports, and no reports of crashes/fatalities related to that, nor was the welding ever a safety issue. You could get hit by a car walking to your Jeep or whatever you drive just as easily. People meet to stop getting so worked up over stuff.

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Well if they are young enough, kids benefit from being in car seat. I went based off of ratings when I got all of our seats, though I wanted to get ones that look like race car seats.

I wish these things came with rear airbags, it's kind of surprising that they don't.

I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to not need a car seat or booster and can ride with me up front. Nothing to do with safety though.

Last week she randomly said as a pickup drove by "what if there were seats in the back so people could sit and ride there?" I explained how my sister, our dog and I were in the back of truck all of the time as kids without seats. A family with a standard cab - like they pretty much all were - truck, that's what we did. I loved it unless it was cold out.

Also put the matresses from our pop up in the back of our fullsize Buick wagon a few times with the seats folded down. Made a nice bed when driving cross-country.

I'd occassionaly have to sit between the two seats of my dads 77 Vette with my head poking out of the t-tops a bit. That I didnt like but just because it wasnt comfortable. Worse than always having to sit next to my Dad when the weather was shitty in our bench seat pickup while he drove and the four of us were squeezed in. Sometimes with the 40 pound dog on the passenger floor. Dad would come uncomfortably close to pounding me in the balls every time he hit 2nd or 4th. But those rides always started with a chuckle as he and I would invariably make a joke about it when we first got settled in and ready to go.

I saw a woman sitting in the passenger seat of a car holding a baby in her arms the other day and was horrified. The car was a bit old and shitty and I thought, "Well, everyone did that at some point. Her family is probably just lagging behind the times a bit." Because everybody did stupid stuff at some point. Not because they were stupid, because it seemed fine. And 99.9% of the time it was. I guess we've learned and now "know better"?? I dunno. Even though I wouldnt do the things my parents did I kinda wish I could. But I'd be genuinly afraid to. Doesnt make sense but that's what has - somehow, someway - happened. Safety is great, but we've all mostly morphed into something we weren't raised to be. It's weird. And says something about modern society. Not entirely sure what but that's a subject for a different day.

When riding in the back of the bed with my sister, we'd both be hanging on for dear life. To whatever we could, which was hardly anything. Metal bed floors are slippery. But when one of us slid and fell down a little going around a turn we'd both laugh. When we got to where we were going we couldnt wait to go back to do it again. dad drove slow of course. But once he heard us giggling away after a turn taken accidentally a bit too fast you could bet he was gonna mess with us..... The next stop light was gonna be taken off from with some healthy throttle, the next turn with a little extra crank on the steering wheel. Scary but fun. And it saddens me because there is no way I could put my little girl back there. I would be a nervous wreck. Even though deep down I know she'd be fine.

BTW - how the hell did our dog/s never fall over back there. They always rode standing up.

jameslavis

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Sport S
Any vehicle can be a death trap. I do not agree with doorless Jeeps with kids. No circumstances are acceptable

Sponsored

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Advice I got on a forum is if your spouse is concerned about the safety of getting a Jeep, start talking about getting a Harley.
Oddly enough... I've had many bikes. I had a Harley until a year and a half ago, when my first son was born. Wife was thrilled I would sell the Harley for a Jeep... all in perspective.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Any vehicle can be a death trap. I do not agree with doorless Jeeps with kids. No circumstances are acceptable
I have a car seat in the back of my JLU. I take the 2 front doors off constantly but leave the rear 2 on for the safety of my son. In your view, is that acceptable? Genuinely curious.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I bought a Jeep largely based on the appeal of removing the top and doors and driving around. That should tell you all you need to know.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Oddly enough... I've had many bikes. I had a Harley until a year and a half ago, when my first son was born. Wife was thrilled I would sell the Harley for a Jeep... all in perspective.
Well it's the same point. Compared to a bike the Jeep seems (is) safe.

jameslavis

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Sport S
I have a car seat in the back of my JLU. I take the 2 front doors off constantly but leave the rear 2 on for the safety of my son. In your view, is that acceptable? Genuinely curious.
Ya that’s fine because as adults we have a choice. You need barriers for them and generally they can do dumb things.
Sponsored