Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
They assured me twice that everything has had torque checked. I'll need to see if I can find the cotter pins.
Turn your steering wheel full left or full right. You can then see ball joints easier. There are 4 ball joints, 2 upper, 2 lower and they are located on the inside next to the two front wheels. All 4 have cotter pins and should look a little mangled if a human checked them.
Sponsored

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
I also had the AE steering box installed. Not sure if the PCM was reflashed though. How would I know? It's not on the paperwork. Also what flash is everyone talking about (# wise) and what is it supposed to address? I'd like to bring it up at my next service appointment. Steering is probably 75% better. I find it doesn't re-center itself well, especially on right turns. I don't believe an alignment was completed nor the new track bar which will be happening next week. Hopefully that resolves the issue or makes it 85%+ better!

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I also had the AE steering box installed. Not sure if the PCM was reflashed though. How would I know? It's not on the paperwork. Also what flash is everyone talking about (# wise) and what is it supposed to address? I'd like to bring it up at my next service appointment. Steering is probably 75% better. I find it doesn't re-center itself well, especially on right turns. I don't believe an alignment was completed nor the new track bar which will be happening next week. Hopefully that resolves the issue or makes it 85%+ better!
PCM update RRT 18-137, which has multiple changes, one is supposed to be about the programming of the steering pump. If they flashed it, it is supposed to be indicated on your paperwork because the dealer gets paid for warranty work, like for updating software, from FCA. I wish there was a way to find out what PCM rev number a JL has installed, just to verify. You can put it into dealer mode by holding your driver's side temperature up, temperature down and front defrost buttons simultaneously, but I'm not sure how to read the information and if it even contains the PCM rev number. Maybe someone with a more technical background can decipher if the PCM version is in the dealer mode screen. Did they check torque on the ball joints, track bar, drag link, etc.?

chadc880

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Well I am officially having my steering box replaced and my drivers side door. Yup thats right, many of you will be next with the door issue. The sub frame inside the door becomes unglued from the aluminum skin and the torque of the door stay assembly causes annoying creaking and flexing noise. You may think its your door surrounds or soft top but its the door. A big PITA

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Well I am officially having my steering box replaced and my drivers side door. Yup thats right, many of you will be next with the door issue. The sub frame inside the door becomes unglued from the aluminum skin and the torque of the door stay assembly causes annoying creaking and flexing noise. You may think its your door surrounds or soft top but its the door. A big PITA
Looking forward to the side by side, before and after steering box video demonstrating the change in loose steering. :)

Sponsored

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So is this what I tell the dealer I want the below done or are they the same or one supersede the other?

Steering RRT8-054 and 18-19-06-WU
PCM update RRT 18-137

Vezfly

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Well after quite a few more miles the slop is better than it was , but the wandering is still there and no different. Have the latest on all parts, any suggestions what’s next ?

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Well after quite a few more miles the slop is better than it was , but the wandering is still there and no different. Have the latest on all parts, any suggestions what’s next ?
Does the "latest on all parts" include a new track bar? I had my track bar replaced 3 weeks ago and while I didn't think it would help it did make a significant difference in wander. I have not had the steering box replaced so I still have the dead spot / play in the steering wheel. So I'm curious if you had the new steering and a new track bar installed and are still having the problem.

Thanks.

Vezfly

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Does the "latest on all parts" include a new track bar? I had my track bar replaced 3 weeks ago and while I didn't think it would help it did make a significant difference in wander. I have not had the steering box replaced so I still have the dead spot / play in the steering wheel. So I'm curious if you had the new steering and a new track bar installed and are still having the problem.

Thanks.
Yes - build date March 2019 came with latest track bar

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
PCM update RRT 18-137, which has multiple changes, one is supposed to be about the programming of the steering pump. If they flashed it, it is supposed to be indicated on your paperwork because the dealer gets paid for warranty work, like for updating software, from FCA. I wish there was a way to find out what PCM rev number a JL has installed, just to verify. You can put it into dealer mode by holding your driver's side temperature up, temperature down and front defrost buttons simultaneously, but I'm not sure how to read the information and if it even contains the PCM rev number. Maybe someone with a more technical background can decipher if the PCM version is in the dealer mode screen. Did they check torque on the ball joints, track bar, drag link, etc.?
I don't believe so because it wasn't indicated. Are the torque specs posted somewhere to find out this info?

So is this what I tell the dealer I want the below done or are they the same or one supersede the other?

Steering RRT8-054 and 18-19-06-WU
PCM update RRT 18-137
I guess that's my question to. Do i say I'm looking for PCM Flash RRT 18-137? And is the any bulletin posted on this that describes what it is like other posted TSBs?

Sponsored

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
This could be interesting. Today I pulled over and re tightened my hard top bolts because of an annoying creaking flexing noise. It was still there even after tightening those bolts. It did disappear later when I had both kids in the back seat, so I figured it was a back seat. But something I’ll keep an ear on!

FedeF

First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 - Alfa Romeo Stelvio
I have nothing on the paperwork from the dealer about PCM Flash. I asked them if it was flashed and the answer was that there was no need....not sure how to take this as an answer.
On a different note, the Jeep pulls to the right, not in a crazy way, but it does.
The dealer says it cannot be the alignment because it is good (yet I never got an alignment report and been told that they deleted it when I asked for it) ...

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have nothing on the paperwork from the dealer about PCM Flash. I asked them if it was flashed and the answer was that there was no need....not sure how to take this as an answer.
On a different note, the Jeep pulls to the right, not in a crazy way, but it does.
The dealer says it cannot be the alignment because it is good (yet I never got an alignment report and been told that they deleted it when I asked for it) ...
The only alignment on a JL is toe and steering wheel center, neither affect pulling to the left or right since the toe adjustment is overall and not specific to left/right. What service occurred and was it not pulling to the right before that service or part replacement?

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I don't believe so because it wasn't indicated. Are the torque specs posted somewhere to find out this info?
Torque specs: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rangler-jl-steering-related-components.18510/

You can tell if they checked the torque on the ball joints by looking at the cotter pins. If the cotter pins look perfectly bent like a factory robot did it, then they didn't check torque on the ball joints. If the cotter pins look kinda mangled like they used a pliers, then they checked.

FedeF

First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 - Alfa Romeo Stelvio
The only alignment on a JL is toe and steering wheel center, neither affect pulling to the left or right since the toe adjustment is overall and not specific to left/right. What service occurred and was it not pulling to the right before that service or part replacement?
Tires rotation, new AE box, new steering damper.
Before the play was so much that you wouldn’t know when the tires were straight...
Sponsored