Sponsored

Towing 2 jet ski's with 2DR JLUR on 37's?

beachbum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S
I'm about to buy a 2dr JLUR that has a 2.5" EVO long arm lift and 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers. It doesn't have the factory tow option so I will buy a hitch and hook up. But my question is its ability to tow my jet ski's (main purpose for which I'm buying it). I have 2 Sea-Doo GTI's (dry weight 790lbs each) and a double trailer (probably a bit over 500lbs). Add 100lbs fuel each then anchors and miscellaneous nonsense I'm at 2300-2400 lbs.

I think I've read on here somewhere that towing with 37's is more difficult, is that true? I've never towed with a Jeep and with Jet Ski's I would need to pull them on an incline out of the water. The 2DR JLUR already has steel bumpers front and back, winch, 5 big wheels etc. so would it be able to tow 2300+ lbs? I'm not going very far, I usually just drop in at a local marina. But would a trailer that heavy be too much weight for the Jeep to handle? Would it be dangerous?

Any input would be helpful because this 2dr Jeep is an amazing deal and I really want it but if necessary I can pass and get a 4dr JLUR
Sponsored

Last edited:

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Cue the internet lawyers.........

It won’t have any problem towing them but you’ll be over “legal” limit of 2000 lbs max towing. Run them empty and check the trailer weight. Most likely they are under 2k. I would do it without a thought. Just understand that everybody on this forum obeys every single law, every single day without fail.

OP
OP

beachbum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S
Cue the internet lawyers.........

It won’t have any problem towing them but you’ll be over “legal” limit of 2000 lbs max towing. Run them empty and check the trailer weight. Most likely they are under 2k. I would do it without a thought. Just understand that everybody on this forum obeys every single law, every single day without fail.
Perfect you actually have a 2dr on 37's. Have you towed with it? Would I be able to do any short highway trips or would the trailer weight move the Jeep around too much? I'm not worried about the legal side just the danger/practical side.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Perfect you actually have a 2dr on 37's. Have you towed with it? Would I be able to do any short highway trips or would the trailer weight move the Jeep around too much? I'm not worried about the legal side just the danger/practical side.
The correct amount of tongue weight and you won’t really notice them. Have not towed with the 2 door. Many times with my 4 door but I wouldn’t hesitate to do so with my 2 door. Especially what you’re looking at.

cbr954

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc Acadia Ford Edge
Obviously not the same vehicle but I used to tow a double jetski trailer loaded with a Kawasaki 1100 ZXI and a 650sx with my 1991 YJ with 4 cylinder.

If THAT can do it, your JL most certainly can.

The trailer would "push" me if I didn't start braking early enough but there really was never an issue.

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I'm about to buy a 2dr JLUR that has a 2.5" EVO long arm lift and 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers. It doesn't have the factory tow option so I will buy a hitch and hook up. But my question is its ability to tow my jet ski's (main purpose for which I'm buying it). I have 2 Sea-Doo GTI's (dry weight 790lbs each) and a double trailer (probably a bit over 500lbs). Add 100lbs fuel each then anchors and miscellaneous nonsense I'm at 2300-2400 lbs.

I think I've read on here somewhere that towing with 37's is more difficult, is that true? I've never towed with a Jeep and with Jet Ski's I would need to pull them on an incline out of the water. The 2DR JLUR already has steel bumpers front and back, winch, 5 big wheels etc. so would it be able to tow 2300+ lbs? I'm not going very far, I usually just drop in at a local marina. But would a trailer that heavy be too much weight for the Jeep to handle? Would it be dangerous?

Any input would be helpful because this 2dr Jeep is an amazing deal and I really want it but if necessary I can pass and get a 4dr JLUR
Just got back from the Cape near your area, towed almost 3000 miles this past week. Towed to scoots down from Washington DC and back in a 2dr on 37s with a 2.0 turbo. Tows absolutely awesome without issue. 7x12 with two BMW motorycles and an air compressor, gear Im guessing close to 2500lbs. Towed 16hrs straight over a 1000 miles each way and coolant never went over 230 degrees, trans temps never over 210 degrees and oil temps hit as high as 245 degrees at times but goes down in minutes by slowing down a bit. You're from Florida so you know the going rate is 70mph-80mph to travel anywhere. I retroffited the oem harness and hitch. My only complaint is the frequent gas stops. Only getting about 140-150 range before gas light goes on. I was averaging 9mpg but towing was an absolute blast with this 2dr. Handles great.

j8nN%tH2QnWbmFfJtDDV1g.jpg

zA9L1YtcSm6bRUQi3EUKtg.jpg

JIUIZ4HBQaC%qbWvfNJbIQ.jpg
Sponsored