First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aviation
I would be those people with defective airbags were not sitting around on the forum asking eachother, “Did you notice a problem with your airbag yet? No me neither, let’s wait and see.”
Sponsored

DesertRat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4 Door Sport S 2020 JT Sport S
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Al's Vehicle Alert
Your 2019 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited has detected an issue that requires your attention.
2019 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited
warning.png
Immediate Action Needed (0)
5AdTOJ5IQxbk8Zk1iTHGBe4vEbw%25r2Y&&pov=fronthero&width=205&height=85&bkgrnd=transparent&resp=png.png

suggestion.png
Action Suggested (1)
check.png
No Issues Found (11)
VIN 1C4HJXEG6KW527409 Last Updated 08/17/2019 Mileage 4,688
URGENT: You have 1 recall that requires immediate action. Review your open recall below for additional details. Call your dealer now to schedule your FREE repair.
View_Recalls.png

warning_small.png
V41 2018 - 2019 JL STEERING DAMPER
Details.png

Maintenance_Jeep.png

Meh, I went and had it done. It took 45 minutes. I haven't had any wobble problems, but my 2008 did prior to replacing major front end components, so I have experienced the death wobble.

I think it is prudent and it is possible that it could reduce wear in other front end components. My completely un-expert opinion is to have it done.

giffordt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Brought my my 18 JLUR in for an oil change on Thursday...service advisor told me there was a recall. I had not received any other notification. He said it was for the steering damper as well. Went ahead and had it done even though I had not experienced any steering issues.

future ocean blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JLU
I just looked it up on the mopar site. I have the recall also. build date in july 2018. Base sport JLU. it seems to drive fine most of the time. every once in a while it will steer funky when it goes over bumps or holes in the road, usually during a curve or turn. Might as well have it done and hope and pray it doesn't get worse after the fix.

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Do you think insurance will pay when people knew about all those defective airbags? Yep they did and do. There are no reported accidents from "death wobble". You can Google this yourself for the source (also iihs said so in an article). People just get scared and don't like how it makes them feel.
Have you experienced actual death wobble? Your statement tells me you have not.

A steering shimmy/bump steer is not death wobble, some are conflating these two terms.

I had a TJ with death wobble and it absolutely could have caused an accident. Luckily nobody was around me when it happened on a rural highway in good weather.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Have you experienced actual death wobble? Your statement tells me you have not.

A steering shimmy/bump steer is not death wobble, some are conflating these two terms.

I had a TJ with death wobble and it absolutely could have caused an accident. Luckily nobody was around me when it happened on a rural highway in good weather.
Yes, the first time in my TJ I shit myself:CWL: And yes I know the difference between a shimmy and DW:facepalm:. But you're right. Most people have no clue.

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Yes, the first time in my TJ I shit myself:CWL: And yes I know the difference between a shimmy and DW:facepalm:. But you're right. Most people have no clue.
That's my point, death wobble will scare you, you loose steering ability until the oscillating stops. This absolutely is a safety issue.

HoosierUte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara, 2018 Jeep Renegade
Occupation
Intellectual Property
Do we know the difference in the part they are replacing? Is it a stiffer damper, was the prior one just defective?

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
I have been fighting my dealer on this issue (steering wander), and they insist nothing is wrong.
"It drives like every other Jeep" they say.
Then I get this in my email yesterday...

Jeep steering damper recall.png

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Same here as I don’t have a problem. My dealership is about 3 miles from me but worry they will mess something up.
Worried they will mess things up, YES THEY WILL, good decision. I got a recall to have a weld joint inspected. I had checked it out earlier and it looks great. Can you imagine your jeep dealership doing a weld on your vehicle, when they can't even change the oil correctly. If worried, go to a certified weld shop in your area and have them check it out.

Sponsored

TonyM

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A JL Soon.
Vehicle Showcase
Al's Vehicle Alert
Your 2019 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited has detected an issue that requires your attention.
2019 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited
warning.png
Immediate Action Needed (0)
5AdTOJ5IQxbk8Zk1iTHGBe4vEbw%25r2Y&&pov=fronthero&width=205&height=85&bkgrnd=transparent&resp=png.png

suggestion.png
Action Suggested (1)
check.png
No Issues Found (11)
VIN 1C4HJXEG6KW527409 Last Updated 08/17/2019 Mileage 4,688
URGENT: You have 1 recall that requires immediate action. Review your open recall below for additional details. Call your dealer now to schedule your FREE repair.
View_Recalls.png

warning_small.png
V41 2018 - 2019 JL STEERING DAMPER
Details.png

Maintenance_Jeep.png
I got mine as well. I wonder how long it will take and I winder if they have enough parts to fix. I might just wait another 5k miles and have it done with oil and tire rotation.

Dawn Patrol

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I went in this morning for an oil change and to get my tires rotated and they told me I had a recall. I got it done although I wasn't experiencing death wobble or any other steering issues. I did previously lift my Jeep and added lower control arms/adjusted toe which really helped keep my Jeep pointing straight on the highway. It didn't feel any different after the new damper was added but again, my steering wasn't an issue.

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
Should I take this in for the recall fix if I'm running a dual stabilizer?
Sponsored