Sponsored

Issue with dealer oil change - exceeded oil MAX levels

huckleberryshin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Make sure to check your dipstick post dealership maintenance visits! I read a few posts about dealers over filling during oil changes, so I decided to check the dip stick over the weekend. My concerns were well warranted because reading exceeded oil MAX levels (around 1/3 - 1/4 inch over max). Overfill was confirmed with dealer tech and they completed another oil change today. I ran my Jeep for a few thousand miles with high levels :headbang:. How concerning is this and should I be worried?:facepalm: Tech said its totally fine, but he also had large sparkly earrings studs and permanently greasy hair so......
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was above the top dot before i changed it. I put 5 qts in. It was the same level, above the top dot. Don't believe the dealer. The kid that changed your oil was prob working at subway a few weeks ago.

OP
OP
huckleberryshin

huckleberryshin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon Unlimited

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
I'm curious now. Dipstick issues?? (Yes I know this is a 3.6L thread)
My first dealer oil/filter change (on a 2.0 turbo) checked the dipstick and it was noticeably OVER the full mark by 1/2" if I remember well. Figured I'd do the next oil change myself and make certain.
Heated everything up and drained FULLY, took off the filter and drained FULLY.. New filter, plugged it back up and filled from a 5 qt bottle of oil. Ran and checked for leaks.. Shut down, let sit for a few minutes and IT'S STILL SHOWING OVERFILLED!!! I'm not concerned but I will be getting another dipstick to compare length! :surprised:

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I'm curious now. Dipstick issues?? (Yes I know this is a 3.6L thread)
My first dealer oil/filter change (on a 2.0 turbo) checked the dipstick and it was noticeably OVER the full mark by 1/2" if I remember well. Figured I'd do the next oil change myself and make certain.
Heated everything up and drained FULLY, took off the filter and drained FULLY.. New filter, plugged it back up and filled from a 5 qt bottle of oil. Ran and checked for leaks.. Shut down, let sit for a few minutes and IT'S STILL SHOWING OVERFILLED!!! I'm not concerned but I will be getting another dipstick to compare length! :surprised:
Let it sit overnight and check first thing in the morning, just to be sure it's 100% accurate (at least before you invest in a new dipstick :) )

ely-bound

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'83 FJ60, '19 JLUR 3.6 MT
Make sure to check your dipstick post dealership maintenance visits! I read a few posts about dealers over filling during oil changes, so I decided to check the dip stick over the weekend. My concerns were well warranted because reading exceeded oil MAX levels (around 1/3 - 1/4 inch over max). Overfill was confirmed with dealer tech and they completed another oil change today. I ran my Jeep for a few thousand miles with high levels :headbang:. How concerning is this and should I be worried?:facepalm: Tech said its totally fine, but he also had large sparkly earrings studs and permanently greasy hair so......
Thank you for the heads up on this. I joined the '6 quarts added at the dealership' club last week. Thankfully I asked the right questions and checked the oil levels prior to leaving the dealership after the first oil change in the 2019 JL.
Sponsored