Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
I maybe spoke too soon. Had to drive 140 miles to pick up kids at summer camp this afternoon. About 10 minutes into the drive my "Gas Cap loose" alarm came on. Pulled over and checked it; and it was fine. On start it came back immediately. At camp turned off vehicle; got kids; and on startup the alert came back on. Drove back 60 miles; stopped for dinner. After dinner on start it didn't come back..... Drove 30 minutes home with it off.

It is possessed....
Interesting, if the PCM thought the gas cap was loose, that would indicate low EVAP pressure or flow. Any CEL with that warning or just the gas cap light?

Alrighty so was able to scan the jeep I'm getting code, P2C90, quick googling seems to say it's a crankcase ventilation hose A disconnected. Checked the catch can all hoses look tight and worn clamps seem good as well, going to clear it and see if it comes back. The uconnect app notified me my jeeps heath report was available that's when it reported the CEL light was illuminated.
This is the code that we got when there was too much restriction in the system and the CCV pressure sensor read too low. Try moving the line I circled out from under the hose clip; it looks like it might be pinching the line a little. Please also try a battery-disconnect reset to clear the code and let me know if it comes back after that.

JL_BCC_Line.jpg

@Mishimoto i just checked my oil catch can after a week of use, maybe 200-300 miles, the can is completely dried. Even the filter is dry as new, like no oil was running’s through.
CEL came back on this morning. So I've disconnected the catch can, cleared the code, and will monitor for a few hundred miles.

As my catch can is still bone dry after almost 800 miles I also question it's usefulness long term versus the hassles thus far with CEL/Gas cap loose warnings.
How much the can collects is going to vary widely based on driving conditions. 2-300 miles isn't really enough to tell anything, especially on a new vehicle with low miles. We usually recommend checking at 1,000 miles and going from there for drain intervals.

Our JL got driven a lot during testing for all of our products, so our mileage is currently over 10,000 mi. Below is what we were catching after 1,000 miles with about 1,500 miles total on the engine and then what we were catching at the same interval with about 10,500 miles on the JL. Most of the content in the first collection is water vapor, with about 10ml of oil and fuel. Winter weather produces more condensation in the blow-by.

The second collection was done in the summer and shows ~25ml of oil.

_MG_8710.jpg

_MG_8138.jpg

Overall age, health, and build tolerances of the engine also play a big role in how much blow-by is produced. This catch can is designed to protect the engine over the life of the vehicle, and as the engine wears, it's going to produce more and more blow-by. Give it time and it will pay off.

As for the CEL with the S&B intake. We're going to have @Minty JL in next week to check things out in person. At this point, we've been running our intake prototype and the catch can on our JL for several thousand miles without issue, so we're going to look at what differences may be causing the issue.

If anybody with the EVAP CEL and the S&B intake wants to swap back to the stock intake and let us know the results, that would also be much appreciated, but we should have a definitive answer for you either way next week.

Thanks,
-Steve
Sponsored

4x4Tyrant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
Disconnected the can just to make sure and no check engine light, I had that hose above that little bracket but I was worried that it was maybe getting pinched by the engine cover. I'll reconnect the catch can and reroute the hose and post an update.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Disconnected the can just to make sure and no check engine light, I had that hose above that little bracket but I was worried that it was maybe getting pinched by the engine cover. I'll reconnect the catch can and reroute the hose and post an update.
Before you install it again, could you also take a quick photo of the inside of the quick-disconnect for the pressure sensor? We just want to make sure the o-rings are fully seated and aren't causing a leak.

Thanks!
-Steve

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Interesting, if the PCM thought the gas cap was loose, that would indicate low EVAP pressure or flow. Any CEL with that warning or just the gas cap light?
No, it was interesting in that no CEL at all. Just a little orange icon on the right hand side of main screen above fuel gauge that was a jeep with an exclamation above the side to represent fuel door. My wife had to google search the icon as it was not 100% clear what it was meaning. On start you would quickly get a "Check Fuel Door" but it would self-clear really quickly.

Today is a normal CEL without the gas cap alert.

I'm in Germany for 2 weeks but hopefully when back things will be better understood. If not I'd be willing to go back to stock intake to test for you. I'm a bit further south in Annapolis but also willing to come up and see you if it helps get this resolved.

4x4Tyrant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
Before you install it again, could you also take a quick photo of the inside of the quick-disconnect for the pressure sensor? We just want to make sure the o-rings are fully seated and aren't causing a leak.

Thanks!
-Steve
Will do! I didn't get paper instructions so I followed the install video and it talks about hearing two clicks when installing the "out" side hose and I can only hear one click, and that's the little white clip on the disconnect. Thanks again for all the help and troubleshooting!

Sponsored

Rub-ISH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 2.0t, 22 Volvo XC60 T8 ER, 06 Audi A3
My Pre order catch can arrives tomorrow...Should I install? This seems to be a bit of a gremlin...All three of my current vehicles are 2.0t DI motors...On my A3 I have bypassed the head and vented to atmosphere post catch can but judging from this thread that is not an option on the Jeep. That also required a whole new valve cover so a recirculated catch can is obviously much easier.

I know what a pain scraping valves for carbon build up is so I’m hopeful this issue can get resolved quickly.

I am on the stock intake btw...not going to upgrade the intake till there is a real tuning/flashing option available. (Otherwise its just noise added)

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
No, it was interesting in that no CEL at all. Just a little orange icon on the right hand side of main screen above fuel gauge that was a jeep with an exclamation above the side to represent fuel door. My wife had to google search the icon as it was not 100% clear what it was meaning. On start you would quickly get a "Check Fuel Door" but it would self-clear really quickly.

Today is a normal CEL without the gas cap alert.

I'm in Germany for 2 weeks but hopefully when back things will be better understood. If not I'd be willing to go back to stock intake to test for you. I'm a bit further south in Annapolis but also willing to come up and see you if it helps get this resolved.
Thank you! Hopefully we can get everything figured out with Minty's JL next week. The gas cap alert is quite odd. Was the fuel tank really full or low when it happened? It sounds like it was momentarily seeing low flow from the EVAP system at startup—I wonder if that's from the extra volume of the intake+the catch can having to be pulled through the system at start. We did noticed that all of the codes we saw in R&D seemed to happen at startup, so that must be when the computers check readiness on all of the systems. Most codes cleared themselves after a few start/stop cycles.

Will do! I didn't get paper instructions so I followed the install video and it talks about hearing two clicks when installing the "out" side hose and I can only hear one click, and that's the little white clip on the disconnect. Thanks again for all the help and troubleshooting!
Thank you! From your pictures, it looks like the quick-disconnect is fully seated (the white clip is around the two square notches), so that should be fine. We just want to make sure the o-ring inside didn't roll or bunch up. We will be including written instructions on future orders, we just didn't quite have them ready for the pre-sale.

My Pre order catch can arrives tomorrow...Should I install? This seems to be a bit of a gremlin...All three of my current vehicles are 2.0t DI motors...On my A3 I have bypassed the head and vented to atmosphere post catch can but judging from this thread that is not an option on the Jeep. That also required a whole new valve cover so a recirculated catch can is obviously much easier.

I know what a pain scraping valves for carbon build up is so I’m hopeful this issue can get resolved quickly.

I am on the stock intake btw...not going to upgrade the intake till there is a real tuning/flashing option available. (Otherwise its just noise added)
You should be OK with the stock intake installed. Aside from 4x4Tyrant's case, all of the codes we've been seeing are with aftermarket intakes and our catch can.

Thanks again everybody, and for those of you who are having a CEL, please know that we are working on it and it is a priority for us!

-Steve

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Thank you! Hopefully we can get everything figured out with Minty's JL next week. The gas cap alert is quite odd. Was the fuel tank really full or low when it happened? It sounds like it was momentarily seeing low flow from the EVAP system at startup—I wonder if that's from the extra volume of the intake+the catch can having to be pulled through the system at start. We did noticed that all of the codes we saw in R&D seemed to happen at startup, so that must be when the computers check readiness on all of the systems. Most codes cleared themselves after a few start/stop cycles.

Thank you! From your pictures, it looks like the quick-disconnect is fully seated (the white clip is around the two square notches), so that should be fine. We just want to make sure the o-ring inside didn't roll or bunch up. We will be including written instructions on future orders, we just didn't quite have them ready for the pre-sale.

You should be OK with the stock intake installed. Aside from 4x4Tyrant's case, all of the codes we've been seeing are with aftermarket intakes and our catch can.

Thanks again everybody, and for those of you who are having a CEL, please know that we are working on it and it is a priority for us!

-Steve
Was with a fairly full tank. The same alert persisted through a couple start cycles as well before going away.

My CEL are always during driving for a bit and nit at startup.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Was with a fairly full tank. The same alert persisted through a couple start cycles as well before going away.

My CEL are always during driving for a bit and nit at startup.
Double check your gas cap. When I first got my Jeep after 500 miles I got the same check fuel door warning. Apparently the orange gasket got pinched and there was a small crease in it. I flipped the gasket around and it has worked ever since, 8,000 plus miles.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
This is exactly why I’m glad I didn’t jump on the s&b intake. Hopefully you guys find an answer when Minty brings his in.
Thanks, us too! Should have an update on that front for you all next week.

Also, we're going to be ending the pre-sale for this catch can at 3:00 today, so if you haven't ordered, now is your last chance!

Thanks to everybody who ordered so far!

-Steve

Rub-ISH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 2.0t, 22 Volvo XC60 T8 ER, 06 Audi A3
Installed my catch can today...took all of twenty minutes as I did not need to remove the intake...plenty of room to get the whole can and bracket into position as one piece.

Nice piece of equipment and great for peace of mind. No codes to speak of with a stock/K&N intake! Only took it for a short drive but everything about the install was smooth!

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
I've had mine installed now for a couple hundred miles so far. No problems.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Well gents, I have been driving the hell out of the JL down here in OBX. So much fun I lost my cell phone the first day.

Last tank I got 18.1 mpg = with no doors, Freedom panels off and the rear hatch glass up the whole time. This was with on road and a bunch of time in 4HI in the deep sand. NOTE: when in the deep sand, make sure to turn off your traction control LOL.

I'm at about 750-800 miles since my last reset (disconnected the NEG Battery terminal (5 mins)) and still CEL free.

Hopefully next week, Steve @Mishimoto ,his team, my JL and our observations can yield a final fix for the community. The annoying side effect of modifying a new platform is having to work through the bugs. I'm a car guy, so I enjoy the troubleshooting and learning curve. Yeah, stock can be mostly drama free, but that's boring and stock sucks........turbo sounds FTW.

A question to the masses dealing with this issues, what octane is everyone filling up with? I'm not sure if its relevant to this issue, but curious. I always use 93 with the exception of one fill up at 92 octane on the drive down to the beach.

Well cheers for now gents, its time to pack the JL up and get back out on the beach!

Jeremy

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
This is exactly why I’m glad I didn’t jump on the s&b intake. Hopefully you guys find an answer when Minty brings his in.
Yeah, I'm impatient......its a flaw I have when I buy new cars.

At this point I think I have narrowed down the actual issue with the S&B intake and will share that with @Mishimoto
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.